Note to New Members ×

waxing with a heat gun?

kever

I'm just getting past the stage of renting boards and finally bought one. I was wondering what your thoughts were on waxing the board with a heat gun like this. I'm not into racing at all, just freeriding, and this seems like a quick and easy way to keep the board waxed before every trip out. Obviously you need to be careful not to keep the heat on one spot for more than a few seconds, but are there any other reasons why this would be a bad method to wax a board?

Thanks..

You'd be taking a huge risk doing it that way as it puts a lot of heat in a small area. It could be done, but it would take a lot attention to not overheat an area. An iron gives you consistent, adjustable heat over a large area so you minimize the risk of burning your base, yet it still happens to people. With the heat gun you'd only have to hold it on one spot for a fraction of a second too long, or put it just a little bit too close to really do a number on the p-tex. Unless you have a lot of prior experience applying hot wax I don't think I'd risk it.

:flamethro

Dakine makes a rub on wax that comes in what looks like a deodorant stick that will serve your needs well, and much cheaper than a ptex repair, or new board. I use it on my off piste board and it works fine. My slalom boards are treated to a proper hot wax and tune as often as needed, no settling for anything short of that with those.

Good Luck.

Al

If you have ever put Monokote on an RC airplane wing or fuselague, and used a heat gun............ ( meaning you have SKILLS) then go for it.

I have a heatgun on steroids that I use for various projects, and have perfected doing boards at home with it, but seriously you need to practice first on a crap board or else you can blister the base, or worse, warp it ! the wax will smooth out very nicely if you do your final smooth with the heat gun on the surface of it, but again, if you have never used a heat gun for anything, DON'T.

Get an iron.

It may take a little searching but you can find an iron for something like a buck (old clothes iron) at a flea market or something. If you HAD to wax your board right now and you didn't have an iron, but had a heat gun, then I'd say go for it, but it really isn't a problem finding an iron and it really isn't hard waxing with an iron.

disclaimer:

Yes, I know that there is a chance of burning my board with that $1 iron I have. Yes, I know irons made specifically for hot waxing are alot better for the purpose. But my one dollar iron is perfectly usable. As long as I keep an eye (nose, hand, insert other senses here) on things I don't hurt boards.

If you have ever put Monokote on an RC airplane wing or fuselague, and used a heat gun............ ( meaning you have SKILLS) then go for it.

I have a heatgun on steroids that I use for various projects, and have perfected doing boards at home with it, but seriously you need to practice first on a crap board or else you can blister the base, or worse, warp it ! the wax will smooth out very nicely if you do your final smooth with the heat gun on the surface of it, but again, if you have never used a heat gun for anything, DON'T.

Get an iron.

You may be getting melted wax on the surface of your board, but don't forget that at least half of waxing is gettting the board plastic pores to open up with even heat distribution over large parts of the board.

don't know if that makes sense. I guess if it works for you thats great, but I am skeptical you are getting heat down into the base. Since we have the new uses for a heat gun see the threads on hot box. For deep wax penetration into the base. Everyone should have a good hot box now and then. :biggthump