Note to New Members ×

Pure Carve video

Brian

I think that Pat (Donnelly) used to/ or still does hang out with the PureCarve guys (Cliff Ahumada, Joey Cabell, Mike Doyle and others). He might know if the copyrights are still in effect. I would think it'd be okay to reproduce the videos. PureCarve is no longer a viable commercial venture as far as I know.

The videos are great. I've got a VHS copy that still blows my mind. A rider named George Papadatos absolutely rips on a Rossignol WC 184 along with Ahumada who is fearless on high speed carves. Cabell proves why he is a champion and is still admired by many surfers and boarders.

Mark

i've always like the purecarve boards and people riding them I think they had something going with the softer flex and wider boards... will it be possible one day to share that vid or clips with the community? or is it all copyrighted???

Nils

According text in tapes they are all copyrighted.

And great stuff, it is pleasure to see them over and over again.

Similar cult stuff as Hard Attack, but more carve oriented.

It would be interesting to see if they would allow their release "opensource" like :)....I have had the chance to ride a few slopes with Mike Doyle in Aspen in 2004 ( when he got that boxer eye due to broken goggles).. he was cruising with that Maverick with style....There was also the other chap from Rainbow sandals ( the best ever there is: i have a few pair :)..that was also cruising well...

I would really love to see those vids... i remember the late PureCarve website you could see vids there too...

Nils

The boyz still ride here all winter (Aspen), they've traded in their PureCarves mostly for Coilers and a few other boards. Joey Cabell either ski's or boards everyday still and is always at SES. Doyle comes about 3 times a year for about a week or 2 to at a time. Cliff shows up when he feels like it since he's still around here. Sparky (Rainbow Sandals) comes two or three times for a week now and then. I pretty much ride with them whenever they are in town because they have the best surfing stories and keep me laughing all the time plus just good guys to ride with who just enjoy the sport. they still ride hard and smooth, top to bottoms with no stops all day. If you like to socialize on the snow these aren't the guys to ride with, they only stop to talk on the lift and at lunch :biggthump

If you want to reach Doyle, email him at doylejack (at) yahoo (dot) com although I think it's Cliff and a few others that are more related to the movies. He might be able to send you in the right direction.

JoelP

plus one for getting some purecarve footy up on youtube

Viva the Cult of PureCarve !

luv my Maverick :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu: tho surfy

a search of "purecarve" up this

bordy on a slow day ?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiUF8L-5ZI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiUF8L-5ZI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

post-123-141842242723_thumb.jpg

I can make the videos (now dvd's) available if there is interest. I am stoked to read that there are still carvers out there that even remember my work, it warms my edges! In the next few weeks I will post some footage on youtube and here. Now that my 3 kids are all snowboarding at the Milk I had to learn to soft boot and its been fun. Its impossible to go 5mph in a carving stance and enjoy it. I still rail with my crew Joey, Mike, Sparky, PC and all those guys. They will all be here in January if they are still alive...they are getting old...especially Sparky...my man! Pat O, your the man bro. Look forward to seeing you @ the Milk this year. Say hi to your wife for Audrey and I. Its finally snowing here.

January 20, 2003

<!--- BODYTEXT --->MAMMOTH – You won't find snowboarder Brian Albertson catching big air, or doing flips, spins or other tricks on terrain features or rails at this or any other resort.

That's because he's a die-hard "carver," a breed of snow rider who uses a longer board and hard-shell plastic boots to carve big, swooping turns down slopes from the eastern Sierra to the Rockies and beyond. He'd just as soon leave the fancy stuff for the kids.

Albertson, 50, used to be a devoted skier. Not terribly aggressive, though he enjoyed taking on a steep run every now and then.

But five years ago, he tore the meniscus in one of his knees and was laid up for six weeks. During his rehabilitation, Albertson saw the video "Ridge The Edge" made by former La Jolla resident Cliff Ahumada and several friends.

"I took a few lessons and fell in love with it," said Albertson, a longtime surfer.

"I didn't want to ski anymore. Better yet, I don't have to worry about tearing up my knees anymore," said Albertson, who initially used poles to keep from doing too many face plants.

A native of New York, Albertson lives in Escondido and works at Pacific Gas Turbine Center. He moved to Orange County at age 9 and took up skateboarding and surfing.

He rode ramps and pools, but didn't much care for falling on the hard surfaces of pools. Ramps were only a little softer. What he really liked was the water and as he got older, he ended up spending much of his free time at Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. In 1968, he discovered San Diego County and Baja.

As a surfer, he and his buddies liked nothing more than carving up waves. "We were into style and technique," he said. "We wanted to look good in the tube, the Gerry Lopez kind of thing. We didn't do tricks."

Though some younger skiers love to emulate Johnny Moseley and do stunts off jumps like their snowboarding brethren, Albertson enjoys riding his board something like a skier.

"When you carve, you control your board and ride it like a ski," he said. "You put pressure on your feet and it bends and turns. You can lay yourself out flat and skim the surface of the snow with your hands."

Albertson modestly describes his boarding technique as "not too bad, maybe up in the advanced category." He will ride 25 to 30 days this winter, mostly at Mammoth and June.

He will avoid Big Bear, Snow Summit and Mountain High because – sounding like a curmudgeon – they have too many snowboarders.

"They sit down in the middle of runs, beneath rolls in the terrain where they can't be seen and make it dangerous for others," he said. Moreover, he and others who grew up skiing find it annoying when snowboarders plop down on their backsides at the entrances to lift lines and clog up the flow. "I love to ride down a big, open slope and carve trenches in the snow," said Albertson. "I feel like I'm flying."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20030120-9999_1s20snowspts.html

Milkman

Good to hear you're still out there, I remember the first day at the Milk riding with the PC Crew at the Expression Session. You showed me the La Jolla "breaks" on the mountain that are still the best. We're getting some great surf today, 10-15ft with some larger sets. Hope to see you this season. aloha

Brian

• 2 months later...
I can make the videos (now dvd's) available if there is interest. I am stoked to read that there are still carvers out there that even remember my work, it warms my edges! In the next few weeks I will post some footage on youtube and here. Now that my 3 kids are all snowboarding at the Milk I had to learn to soft boot and its been fun. Its impossible to go 5mph in a carving stance and enjoy it. I still rail with my crew Joey, Mike, Sparky, PC and all those guys. They will all be here in January if they are still alive...they are getting old...especially Sparky...my man! Pat O, your the man bro. Look forward to seeing you @ the Milk this year. Say hi to your wife for Audrey and I. Its finally snowing here.

Hey Milkman,

Please burn for me onto one disc:

a) Pure-Carve X-SESSION RAILING

b) LOCKED IN

Karen and I will be at the Milk beginning Feb 16.

See ya!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Yea, here's an old thread. I've been doing the analog-to-digital transfer of my old vids and films and stuff (no snow or cold here yet) and thought I'd try uploading 2 old Pure Carve videos for those who couldn't find copies, as it looks like nothing further happened with this. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/1nLT6UZQNOY

If this is a problem, as it is copyrighted, I will delete the video. Hope it's okay, as these are great videos to share with the carving community.

• Like 3