Note to New Members ×

VIRUS – fresh of the press

Ray

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To MUD: well, you gotta pay for quality stuff... I understand that FX is not in your favor, though....

I agree (somewhat), but at that price I will support the US builders first.

2 years ago I would have considered it.

Well, this is easy. Go buy one. You won’t regret it. Even if you’re poor. Stop buying the cheap POS boards on eBay every year and invest. Yeah I’m talking to you. You 1990 Factory Prime, bargain hunting, cheap bastard. Invest in your carving! You’ve spent this much in sub standard planks already.

LOL - Good review Bob. I'm sure I'd love it. However $1800 is simply beyond the realm of any reasonable justification for me and a lot if not most people here. I'm not poor, but this is a board for people with 4 bedroom slopeside condos. Or d.i.n.k.'s, or single professionals. I can see spending a grand on a custom. Almost twice that is just... wow. The pretenders with their ebay FP's as you so succinctly described them aren't even reading this thread, or if any are, not for buying advice.

The statement about having spent that much in subpar boards describes me fairly accurately.However, at my income level 2800.00 when all is said and done for one setup represents putting all my eggs in one basket and would take away the fun of finding numerous great deals, getting to try different shapes,lengths,flexes and uses,having several rock boards to choose from,buying food, having a roof over my head and so on.That said,customers who spend 2 large on one board without bindings are just like the customers in bike shops I've worked in who have dropped 7,000.00 on a bike that won't make them faster than more practice and training would but that we loved to putting togeather and drooling over anyway.Every sport or hobby has them and thank God because it makes it that much more interesting.BTW i have bought three boards off ebay this year and one board from a bomber rider,a Coiler Am 182 for 425.00.I barely got aquainted with it the two days I borrowed it at OES last season, but after I get to know it there will be nothing subpar about how I ride it.

LOL - Good review Bob. I'm sure I'd love it. However $1800 is simply beyond the realm of any reasonable justification for me and a lot if not most people here. I'm not poor, but this is a board for people with 4 bedroom slopeside condos. Or d.i.n.k.'s, or single professionals. I can see spending a grand on a custom. Almost twice that is just... wow. The pretenders with their ebay FP's as you so succinctly described them aren't even reading this thread, or if any are, not for buying advice.

I disagree. I hear people talking about their 5 to 12 (or even more) boards. Huh? :confused:

I rather have 2 top notch carving board instead of a garage full of ... well you know... just my opinion! And it seems more and more people agree...

Cheers!

I disagree. I hear people talking about their 5 to 12 (or even more) boards. Huh? :confused:

I rather have 2 top notch carving board instead of a garage full of ... well you know... just my opinion! And it seems more and more people agree...

Cheers!

I agree with Ray, and by the way only the Zylon editions from Virus are of a

absolute high price. They are lower priced boards from Virus which are also well rideable.

I also somehow agree with Ray, but there is better way, have a garage full of Viruses. I can say, from my experience after 3rd day on my first Virus the rest of my boards became immidiately obsolete.This is very interesting thread, but it makes me so anxious, I must contact Frank and ask about my new board. Did anybody here have a chance to ride his new X carving board?

I also somehow agree with Ray, but there is better way, have a garage full of Viruses. I can say, from my experience after 3rd day on my first Virus the rest of my boards became immidiately obsolete.This is very interesting thread, but it makes me so anxious, I must contact Frank and ask about my new board. Did anybody here have a chance to ride his new X carving board?

Your Hurricane Zylon is grinning next to my desk, will send it out with the rest of the US boards next week!

Regards Frank :1luvu:

Ladia, I just recently received my X-treme Carver Titanal 176 and will test it in 2 weeks. Can hardly wait....

I will post a report once I am back. Most probably I will do a comparisson to the ME109, the previous wide board of Virus that I also have. I'll have some Swoarder friends with me, if we have the time maybe we can compare it against the Swoard as well.

Kindest

I'm sorry but I will not let wrong things be said, despite it beeing a virus friendly topic some facts have to be put to light...sorry for the quick hijack..wont be interfering again after this quick answer...

Swoard stopped the production at our factory

because they don´t want to increase the quality ( and pay a higher price for!)

Reality: Swoard couldnt afford a 25% prod cost increase for the same product indeed ( was there any change in quality needed?). And main reason is Swoard could not spend another season waiting for boards...and explain its clients that boards were not ready when boards were ordered 6-8 month before...

They switched to Nidecker and now can sell a series production board for a higher price.

Reality: price has been lowered, despite higher mold and semi-industrial production setup...contrary what is rumored, production is 100% made in Switzerland..we're not using zylon, but we are confident our material choice is the best for what we do with as less compromises as possible ( try to remain not to high price to make it possible for more people to ride our boards..)

We freezed our production of wide boards for extremecarving 4 years ago as we began to wrk with swoard. now we restarted to make wide boards, with total different materials and shapes ( which the most of the 2 D Swoard changes I did!).

Its true that Jacques Rilliet is a notoriously incompetent shaper....as for sizes and names its true that its totally different..

Our so called X-tremecarving boards have ellyptical sidecuts, carbon kevlar composite construction, full ash woodcores ( no weak spruce cores with two ash stripes in the insert area). All boards are custommade on the riders weight.

And that for a reatail price cheaper than a series Swoard !

Cores:

Yes we have tested full ash cores, and no they dont work well with EC boards because our tests and various experience show the ash creates a behaviour we did not like for EC...And knot free spruce is as noble as ash if it is well chosen, which is the case when your cores are the same price as full ash...

Price of the Swoard is 650 euros excluding tax which seems to be lower than official price of 683 euros of the Virus unless 683 is smaller than 650 then i need to relearn maths...

We are really know what we are talking about, cause we built the most of the existing so called Extremecarving boards!

Wrong because Duret production was at least 3 times bigger in quantities than the Gen 2.....

We have no experience in extremecarving and we did not spend a summer and test 11 different prototypes of the same model during the summer to make sure the new board reached a high working level...and since our shaper is incompetent and rides badly he cannot make a good board....We released the board only because we knew it worked for its designed program: versatile riding and EC.

Last thing is i'm not sure why one should keep complaining about us when we just do our business without comparing, arguing etc....our reaction was kinda understandable at the time last spring: we were shocked by the release of the new board a few days ( hours..?) only after we sadly said we couldnt work together anymore, release announcing same lengths and name... and I clearly remember a post here on this forum that got removed after announcing it.....seems the reactions were not that positive..and that is why people on EC forum reacted maybe a bit too much....lets keep things simple, and quiet so EC and alpine riding get a chance to progress, this is our main goal since day 1.

This said, and on a more personnal point to get the topic back on its tracks, I have tried Istvan's zylon, and liked its smooth ride and grip which is very comfortable and safe.. am not personnaly a fan of elliptical multi radii sidecuts because i dont like how it feels, but its a great riding board and I liked it...despite beeing damn narrow and am not used to riding narrow boards anymore...I am still unsure what zylon really does to a board, because i havent been able to compare a normal board to a zylon... but the board is sure stable and strong ( gladiator i think..)

N

Cheers!

I hear you and it's a valid point, but I like to have 3 boards (short, medium, long). An $1800 board would limit me to 2 at best, if not just that one. The 175 Gladiator is too middle-of-the-road to serve double duty as my short and medium board. A Madd 170 could do that. (Hmmm, so maybe a Madd 170 and a Berserker 185 is the answer!)

Don't get me wrong, I've fondled a couple Viri, and they're dream machines. I'm not taking anything away from the quality or the ride. 2-Large is a huge pill to swallow.

That´s only the way you think about it!

Reality: Swoard couldnt afford a 25% prod cost increase for the same product indeed ( was there any change in quality needed?). And main reason is Swoard could not spend another season waiting for boards...and explain its clients that boards were not ready when boards were ordered 6-8 month before...

Yes, you ordered boards 6 to 8 month before, but not specified in flex and lentgth so we had to make boards that we thought that could match to the orders, but then the lengthes and flex of the ordered boards concentrated on the 168 and we had only one mould for 1 board a day, 20 work days a month

means 20 boards of a 168 but youz want to have them in one week, thats maths that that coulnd work.

We had to finish orders for you dealers and you didn´t allow us to send them partially because you want to save 20 € extra shipping costs, that´s why your customes who had ordered a board from a dealer had to wait!!!!

Reality: price has been lowered, despite higher mold and semi-industrial production setup...contrary what is rumored, production is 100% made in Switzerland..we're not using zylon, but we are confident our material choice is the best for what we do with as less compromises as possible ( try to remain not to high price to make it possible for more people to ride our boards..)

Its true that Jacques Rilliet is a notoriously incompetent shaper....as for sizes and names its true that its totally different..

who said this???

Cores:

Yes we have tested full ash cores, and no they dont work well with EC boards because our tests and various experience show the ash creates a behaviour we did not like for EC...And knot free spruce is as noble as ash if it is well chosen, which is the case when your cores are the same price as full ash...

Spruce is weak!

Price of the Swoard is 650 euros excluding tax which seems to be lower than official price of 683 euros of the Virus unless 683 is smaller than 650 then i need to relearn maths...

I heard that your boards are 680 minimum! without Tax our boards are 663,03€ custommade to the riders weight!

Wrong because Duret production was at least 3 times bigger in quantities than the Gen 2.....

We have no experience in extremecarving and we did not spend a summer and test 11 different prototypes of the same model during the summer to make sure the new board reached a high working level...and since our shaper is incompetent and rides badly he cannot make a good board....We released the board only because we knew it worked for its designed program: versatile riding and EC.

Not only you have experience in extremcarving, that´s a fact and we can ride too and I built and shaped hundreds of prototypes and built thousands of boards! :1luvu:

One thing you have to know its always a risk to start buisiness if you are not

firm with that or want to avoid any risk, don´t start your own buisiness!

Fact is that our other customers a glad to work with us, because they know

how the process in a production is! They prefer the quality we can offer for a price that equals that quality! That means early exactly specified order,

in time material delivery and payments means early and accurate delivery!

Last thing is i'm not sure why one should keep complaining about us when we just do our business without comparing, arguing etc....our reaction was kinda understandable at the time last spring: we were shocked by the release of the new board a few days ( hours..?) only after we sadly said we couldnt work together anymore, release announcing same lengths and name... and I clearly remember a post here on this forum that got removed after announcing it.....seems the reactions were not that positive..and that is why people on EC forum reacted maybe a bit too much....lets keep things simple, and quiet so EC and alpine riding get a chance to progress, this is our main goal since day 1.

Yes people reacted too much because the statement was not gentlemen like and in buisiness its not normal to speak to the public in that way !!! With your statement you want to wash your vest white to make your customers believe that we are the bad and you are the poor!

You want to make your incompetence in that buisiness and your lazyness to our faults!

What you do is not professionell!

That´s the only point why we are discussing here in the public, I will stop it now and wish you good luck in the future!

This said, and on a more personnal point to get the topic back on its tracks, I have tried Istvan's zylon, and liked its smooth ride and grip which is very comfortable and safe.. am not personnaly a fan of elliptical multi radii sidecuts because i dont like how it feels, but its a great riding board and I liked it...despite beeing damn narrow and am not used to riding narrow boards anymore...I am still unsure what zylon really does to a board, because i havent been able to compare a normal board to a zylon... but the board is sure stable and strong ( gladiator i think..)

N

Nils, you are right, it was a Zylon Gladiator you tested. I'm happy you liked it and I'll have that and also the new X-treme Carver Titanal with me in Zinal this season, so I'll be happy to lend that to you as well for a ride. And I will want to try a Swoard in return...

Cheers,

István