Looking for a new freeride board recommendation - soft boots

Guest tap

good to know, thanks for all the feedback

i find it interesting that there are no or few mentions of :

Never Summer

Nitro

Lib Tech

other brands that I can't think of cause i'm hungover :eplus2: :o

Never Summer was mentioned in my first post, good quality boards. I can take or leave Lib-Tech, but that's just me.

Also, Santa Cruz Maverick 173 & 183.

Didn't ride them only held them in my hands. From what I could tell, VERY similar to Tankers. Also used to be built at Volkl factory, so one has to think...

I was damn stupid not to buy them when I had chance (they were going for peanuts) - old stock...

• 7 months later...
Guest antoinesnow

They aren't a true swallow tail. a swallow tail is soft and noodley and has long tails the 4807 has a short tail like the old burton elites. Its also very stiff along the effective edge. the super long boat nose is the soft part but it doesn't hook up and fold like a regular nose ( i assume because the boat shape lifts it off the snow faster and earlier than a traditional design. )

Its a good all around board with a lot of unique features.:biggthump

Maybe you can call it a Fishtail ;-)

I don't know why but i love the looks of fishtail boards, wether they be snowboards or surfboards.

Like the supermodel

3800 good for pow

173 Identity (good luck finding 1)

Older K2 Eldorado, Best all mt. board I've ever ridden, does everything well including railing the carves on steep, hard groomers. Saw a pristine 174 go for $122 on ebay 2 months ago. The older made in USA ones are better.

I'll second the recommendation of the 3800... you can get one SOOOO cheap, and they are so much fun! I also have a Donek Wide, and while it carves harder, I think if I really had to pick one of the two - the 3800 would be it. Very maneuverable in bumps, and in trees, floats well in powder (169 for a 6'4"180lb guy), and carves really well. I bought a used one for the rare powder day, but I end up riding a lot. The Donek just seems more punishing in bumps, and I just can't seem to bring it around as quickly. Can't say why... but I really like bumps, and that's my impression with only a few days on the Donek so far though.

________

LovelyWendie99

I'll 3rd the 3800. One fun all around board. Is really fun in powder, but works well on groomers, trees, and bumps. Very manuverable with a stiff tail and a big pointed nose. I pretty much use this board anytime I'm not riding hardboots. Oh, did I say that it was REALLY FUN IN POWDER!

If you are looking for a board to rip on the hardpack that also does nicely in pow, then the Burton T6 is worth looking into. This a ripper board first and foremost -- it wants to go fast. But, when I grabbed first tracks at Stratton a couple weeks back in 8-10 of pow it proved to be a real treat.

Burton's powder boards also include SuperModel and Malalo, both of which are supposed to do well on pack, the malolo excelling more in Pow. Haven't tried them myself, but that's their reputation. For pure pow, the Fish has a great rep, but is supposed to pretty much suck on groomers...

Anyway, I like the T6. It's an aggressive board, but when you want to push it, man is it fun. When you want to be mellow ... well, not so much ;)

Yeah, as an east coast rider, I'm curious about the SuperModel ...

Love the T6, but do need something for more mellow/tired days.

FWIW: Haven't gone over the nose on the T6 on groomers, but did get the nose stuck in the Pow a bit after it was getting tracked out. I was at reference stance at the time, so might not have happened if I dropped the bindings back. Then again ... it might have...