Note to New Members ×

Looking for a new freeride board recommendation - soft boots

Guest tap

Hi guys...

Long time lurker, 20 year snowboarding vet, regular-footed 225 pound rider with years spent in Telluride, SLC, Big Sky, Squaw, and now living near Mt. Bachelor.

I'm looking for recommendations on a 167-169 cm board for fast, rough, hard-charging freeride performance. I don't go to the park or pipe and try to ride off-piste when I can. I find it tough to find dependable reviews of boards, so I thought I'd post here.

I've been riding a 168 Burton Canyon from 2001-02 and while I really like its surfy supple feel and flex, when I'm cranking a hard heelside turn, I can fold the nose and go over the bars.

When I moved here, I bought a 172 Salomon Fastback with somethign like a 11+ sidecut....which was great for bombing straight and fast but not really surfy enough for slashing hard turns or tearing through the trees. Then 2 seasons ago I cracked the Salomon's core underneath my front heel, and that board went into the closet. And the Canyon became my everyday board again.

In deep deep pow on our flat mountain, I will ride a Fish. But it is time to retire the Canyon back to rockboard and early season status and get a new gun.

btw, i run Nidecker Carbon 990 bindings, Burton boots.

So whatcha got? thanks in advance

Jon3.jpg

You'll get lots of recommendations from this crew for the longer Rad Air Tankers. I haven't ridden one, but at my 230 lbs, I'm really interested in trying the 192.

Short of that, there have been a couple of favorable comments in this forum about the Burton 172-3 Triumphs of recent years. Think they've been replaced by the new SuperModels for 07-08.

There's also much support hereabouts for the custom powder offerings from Donek and Prior.

Good luck and good surf to ya

Mahalo

If you are set on that lenght, the 172 Tanker should be on the short list. I'm 165 lbs and am on a 192. Never Summer in Colorado makes the T5 in the same length, and a little shorter. Donek Incline, Wide or Sasquatch depending on foot size. All three brands mentioned are quality goods, I'm sure som e others will be mentioned, too.

wide tankers, I like the 177 of all the tanker sizes the best because it functions everywhere without a hitch, park included it's small enough for tight trees, floats well enough, carves well and is easy to land on. there is a tanker 167 as well. the only thing bad about tankers is that they could be better on ice.

I assume you're looking for a wide ride coming from a canyon

Never summer makes some great ****, Burton has a couple great offerings. there is a Madd freeride deck that comes in a 27 cm waist that everyone who I have talked to say they are unreal board but I can't verify this in my own words.

The Ride Yukon is also incredible, I almost forgot to mention that one.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=838 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=squad_right_top_part vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=465 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=squad_tmb_top_text vAlign=top align=left>I would use plates but that's just me, one of these oughta do ya, it's a voelkl

Style: Freestyle/Freeride/Powder/Speed

Level: Master/Expert/Advanced/rookie</SPAN>

Flex: MEDIUM

Waist: EXTRA WIDE 175 NARROW 158

</TD><TD class=squad_img_top_right vAlign=top align=right><!--big image div start!--><TABLE height=230 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=230 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: url(/snb/i/img_squad_bg_big.gif) no-repeat center center" vAlign=center align=middle>image.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--big image table end!--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=squad_right_bottom_part vAlign=top align=left>The Ace of Sprays

Your surfboard for the snow. No board in the world conveys this “Powderchannel- Selecta feeling.” Best in “steep & deep!” – But also a real bang on the slopes.

You immediately notice the revolutionary Selecta’s readiness to perform. This legal weapon for an optimal freeride feeling comes from the highest mountain regions and that’s where it belongs! The “Da Force” Team sprayed some mighty power again last winter. The result: a new nose shape and optimized Powder Channel! Out of this world! The special shape lets the fl uff just fl ow under this board, giving it maximum lift. That way you’ve got a surf-feeling like on no other snowboard in the world! An extremely robust base stemming from Völkl’s race lab protects the light woodcore and serves as a turbo booster. Double aramid & carbon weaves provide dampening for a smooth ride. In rocky terrain, the 360° Titanal protector prevents the wood sidewalls from getting damaged. Zero powder? Who cares?! With the 4D Sidecut and the moveable tail, the Selecta becomes a swift slope weasel .. With this relaxed version of a swallowtail, you can even keep up riding switch in the pipe and on kickers. Its discreet classy design keeps the Selecta loyal to its spiritual affi nity for nature. The reddish stained ash veneer is reminiscent of the sunrises you only know from hiking up on those perfect powder days. Thanks to the partial white Grip Lacquer, you can even ride the Selecta on fl at slopes completely without bindings…

Surf-Feeling Guaranteed – Just Good Vibe Riding!

Highlights

• + PARTIAL GRIP LACK TOPSHEET
  • + REDDISH-ORANGE STAINED VENEER MARQUETRY IN THE TOPSHEET
  • + 360° TITANAL TOPSHEET PROTECTOR
  • + NEW POWDER CHANNEL SHAPE
  • + EXTRA FAST, THICK AND ROBUST SINTERED BASE

Features

• + BACKSCREENED, LACQUERED AND HIGH-GLOSS TOPSHEET WITH PARTIAL GRIP LACK
  • + REDDISH-ORANGE STAINED VEENER MARQUETRY IN THE TOPSHEET
  • + TIP-TO-TAIL ULTRA-LIGHT WOODCORE
  • + 4D SIDECUT
  • + 360° TITANAL TOPSHEET PROTECTOR
  • + POWDER CHANNEL
  • + BRANDED WOOD SIDEWALLS
  • + SIDEWALL DAMPENING
  • + SANDWICH CONSTRUCTION
  • + ALUMINUM TIP PROTECTOR
  • + UPPER AND LOWER TRIAXIAL WEAVE
  • + DOUBLE CARBON WEAVE
  • + DOUBLE ARAMID WEAVE
  • + SINTERED P-TEX 20188 DIE-CUT BASE
  • + STONE AND DIAMOND FINISH
  • + SPECIAL STRUCTURAL FINISH

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=squad_big_table colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=778 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=squad_big_table_first_cell width=62 rowSpan=2>Specs</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle>contact length

</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>length (in mm)

</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>height (in mm) </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=3>width (in mm) </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>inserts</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=3>stance (in cm) </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>sidecut</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_top_header vAlign=top align=middle>riders weight

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>(in mm) </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>tip</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>tail</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>tip</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>tail</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>tip</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>waist</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>tail</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>quantity</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>setback</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>min </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>med</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>max</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>radius

(in cm)

</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>sidecut</TD><TD class=squad_big_table_bottom_header vAlign=top align=middle>in kg </TD></TR><TR><TR><TD class=squad_big_table_cell style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Selecta 158 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>1200 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>215 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>175 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>64 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>43 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>306 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>248 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>282 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>16 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>35 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>44 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>52 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>60 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>8,80 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>4D Sidecut </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>< 80 </TD></TR></TR><TR><TR><TD class=squad_big_table_cell style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Selecta 163 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>1240 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>225 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>175 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>70 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>43 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>312 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>253 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>292 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>16 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>40 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>46 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>54 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>62 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>8,49 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>4D Sidecut </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>< 85 </TD></TR></TR><TR><TR><TD class=squad_big_table_cell style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Selecta 168 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>1295 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>225 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>175 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>70 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>43 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>317 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>258 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>297 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>16 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>40 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>47 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>55 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>63 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>9,26 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>4D Sidecut </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>> 65 </TD></TR></TR><TR><TR><TD class=squad_big_table_cell style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Selecta 175 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>1360 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>225 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>175 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>70 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>43 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>325 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>266 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>305 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>16 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>50 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>48 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>56 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>64 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>10,25 </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>4D Sidecut </TD><TD class=squad_big_table_cell vAlign=center align=middle>>70 </TD></TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---->

thanks so far, guys.

what's with the tanker adoration? you don't really see a lot of them around

wide feet, size 13. waist width should be over 25.8 or around there.

angles 15/3

Dynastar / Osin 3800 169.

It has all the qualities of pow board plus stifness of serious freeride board plus cool directional shape like Selecta, without Selecta's price tag.

I like my Tanker, but boy, I LOVE this thing in the trees!

Alternatively a 4807 if you are into totaly directional riding... Surfiest of them all and it rails like a bitch.

Boris

post-1678-141842234436_thumb.jpg

gonna try one of those some day ^^

I'll chime in YET AGAIN with Steepwater Plow/Steep 171

although the sidecut is quite long, so maybe back to the same problem with your fastback.

sweet boards though

oh, and Im selling one. a Plow. 25.5cm waist (steep is like 24.6) in near new, ridden once condition ;)

I am not sure if F2 still makes it but......

see if you can find the F2 169 eliminator wide, works mid depth west coast powder well even with a 200plus pounder on board, "tightish" sidecut so agile in the boonies yet with its flex pattern can carve quite well also on the hard pack. 26ish waist good for big feet across the board,

Dave*

Tap,

I ride a Ride Timeless 168. I weigh 175 and ride hard pack. I never really folded the nose all though I'm sure it can be done if some one really got on it. It's one of the nicest soft boards I've been on. The only problem I have with it is it's waist. I have Burton cartell soft bindings that have a toe strap that goes over the edge of my toes. I ride 45 front and back and if I drive hard turns I will rub the toe piece on the snow and break the toe straps.

Dynastar / Osin 3800 169.

It has all the qualities of pow board plus stifness of serious freeride board plus cool directional shape like Selecta, without Selecta's price tag.

I like my Tanker, but boy, I LOVE this thing in the trees!

Alternatively a 4807 if you are into totaly directional riding... Surfiest of them all and it rails like a bitch.

Boris

DITTO

IF you don't mind going directional the 4807 will blow your mind. the only powder board I have ridden that I can lay over on the hardpack and hold a screaming edge on. soft in the nose and stiff between the edges. I have them in both the 168 and 178 lengths and I actually prefer the shorter one.

the boat nose lends itself well to moguls and tight glades.

I am 6'4" 275 lbs

what's with the tanker adoration? you don't really see a lot of them around
They're kind of a cult board, with the cult headquartered here - never would have heard of them except for people recommending them here. I've never seen one in person except mine.

I was fascinated by the idea of a 200 cm freeride board, and found a used one for cheap. Turns out the thing is light for it's size (same weight as my Coiler AM which is 28 cm shorter and 2 cm narrower), stable at any sane resort speed, carves like it has no right to do at that width, and of course floats through the fluff and crud with ease. I've yet to take it through any big bumps, but it's no problem in intermediate ones.

And the dropped jaws in the lift line never get old...

Tap,

I ride a Ride Timeless 168. I weigh 175 and ride hard pack. I never really folded the nose all though I'm sure it can be done if some one really got on it. It's one of the nicest soft boards I've been on. The only problem I have with it is it's waist. I have Burton cartell soft bindings that have a toe strap that goes over the edge of my toes. I ride 45 front and back and if I drive hard turns I will rub the toe piece on the snow and break the toe straps.

the timeless and the Ride Yukon are pretty much the same, the difference being that the Yukon is the wide model of the timeless. my 2005 yukon had a 268 waist.

4807s tend to break at the tail and blow while riding switch for obvious reasons. for some people here they are great but IMHO if going with a swallow tail go with something close to 200 CM not something that is 1 cm longer than my park deck.

Definately a POGO LONGBOARD 180 Double Concave, just as versatile , a package in one, the soft stuff, slush, hardpack, incredible edgehold, fast, soft or hardboots, easy to ride, long and short turns. Unbeatable allrounder, you don't need any other board. Most versatile board I have ever ridden.

post-105-141842234438_thumb.jpg

4807s tend to break at the tail and blow while riding switch for obvious reasons. for some people here they are great but IMHO if going with a swallow tail go with something close to 200 CM not something that is 1 cm longer than my park deck.

The dynastar version is tougher than the early Osins :cool:

don't ride it switch on the groomers (it can be done but u r on your own there)

I have ridden mine switch in the pow in tight glades long enough to navigate back to a nose friendly area.

They aren't a true swallow tail. a swallow tail is soft and noodley and has long tails the 4807 has a short tail like the old burton elites. Its also very stiff along the effective edge. the super long boat nose is the soft part but it doesn't hook up and fold like a regular nose ( i assume because the boat shape lifts it off the snow faster and earlier than a traditional design. )

Its a good all around board with a lot of unique features.:biggthump

I bought a Donek Phoenix last year and it immediately took over freeride duties for me. It floated well enough, held an edge well, and didn't beat my up by the end of the day. It performed very well in the trees. It's the board I take when I don't know what I'll find.

good to know, thanks for all the feedback

i find it interesting that there are no or few mentions of :

Never Summer

Nitro

Lib Tech

other brands that I can't think of cause i'm hungover :eplus2: :o