Note to New Members ×

Whistler/Blackcomb boards???

MAD1

Got a question for the folks that frequent Whistler/Blackcomb Mountains. I’ve never been there before but I’m taking a trip there this coming week from Saturday to Saturday. Considering the fact that they seem to get quite a bit of snow there in a weeks time, would it be worthwhile to take a carving stick with me? Or should I plan to be riding my all mountain board in powder all week? It looks like they do quite a good bit of grooming on the mountains so I was really hoping to be able to split my time up between carving the groomed from mid mountain down and riding fresh snow from mid mountain up. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect? I just didn’t want to carry a carve board or 2 out there if I wasn’t going to be using them. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Whistler Blackcomb really has something for everyone.

It has really world class grooming and a program called "Fresh Tracks" where you can buy a special pass in addition to your daily lift ticket that will allow you to ride the mountain a full 90 minutes before the main lifts open.

They take you up the mountain at 0715, serve you a buffet breakfast and then let you rip. It is great to lay the first tracks on perfectly groomed corduroy, and not worry about what's in front of you.

My suggestion would be to come to Whistler with your carving board, and then rent a high performance demo freeride board on the mountain when you get there. These high performance demo centers are strategically located at mid mountain locations and are a great way to ride and test the latest product.

The reason that I recommend bringing your carving stick is that it's been my experience that these set-ups are not readily available on the mountain. By all means visit Chris Prior's shop, but you might be best served by bringing your own.

Originally posted by MAD1

Thanks for the great info. That "fresh tracks" offer sounds like something worthwhile checking out. And I never even thought of renting an all mountain board. Thanks again.

Hey, I just got back from Whistler/Blackcomb myself. I demoed a Prior 4WD 174 (their All Mountain Hardboot Board)at Fanatyk Co in Whistler village, it was a lot of fun, but too big for me. They are super knowledgeable, but have a very limited number of boards (all in the 172-174 range) since the factory is a short drive away (I didn't have a car) and Prior does demos on the weekends (I was there for the week).

As I think someone else mentioned, Blackcomb is less crowded and has a few good groomed runs, like Cruiser and Honeycomb under the Excelrator Chair. That can get crowded, so there's also 7th Heaven (getting there is a pain - you need to do a long cattrack, or take a T-bar) which has this great cruiser groomed run call Panorama (most ppl miss the turn for it so it is often pretty empty).

On the Whistler side there is Harmony Chair (take you into the upper bowls) and Emerald Chair which has access to the parks, good wide groomed runs, and trees (although it is a popular chair and crowded at times).

Hope you have fun!

If you go to Whistler and the Peak Chair is open, you would really be missing out if you stuck to carving the groomed runs. In my opinion, if Whistler didn't have the more challenging terrain made available from the Peak Chair, it would not be that great an area. If it is foggy and windy, they sometimes close it.

Originally posted by skategoat

Bring rain gear.

Don't think I would agree -- maybe the village you need an umbrella but up top of Blackcomb is usually about 24° F. Snow is usually great on upper half of the mountain. I go about once a month and have never been in rain at the top. March is a good month to go. I agree with other comments - go to Prior's place and demo some of his fine gear, but bring your own alpine gear and rent the soft stuff or take a Prior 4X4 and do it all.

A couple of suggestions .. bring 2 way radios to keep in touch with your group it can get foggy and it is a very very very big mountain or ski patrol if you need them, bring a ski lock they have the racks that use the "Ski Key" locks and work great. Don't think the weather in the village is what the mountain has -- it is totally different up top. I have seen where the village and lower mountain is socked in and you can't see anything and the upper half is totally blue sky. BlackComb in my opinon is a better mountain to ride because it absorbs the crowds better than Whistler and you can go as fast as you want - on Whistler you can't because it has too many people most of the time. The lower cat track to 7th Heaven is ok to go on a board - keep your speed up and beat everybody - it is nice and wide and fast. Ride Panorama, Cloud Nine, & Ridge Runner and go the learning center off of Solar Coaster early morning for first tracks on this marvelous carving run before the newbees get there, take the first turn at the entrance as fast as you can - it arcs about 230°. Have a good time.. I am up there March 21-25th.:D

I had a lot of fun on a demo Prior 4x4 at Whistler last year. They charged me $25 CD to ride a brand-spanking new board for a day.

Heck, if I had enough money and I was flying (rather than driving) to Whistler, I'd consider asking them for a week of rentals and not bother bringing a board at all.

Originally posted by Dan

I had a lot of fun on a demo Prior 4x4 at Whistler last year. They charged me $25 CD to ride a brand-spanking new board for a day.

Heck, if I had enough money and I was flying (rather than driving) to Whistler, I'd consider asking them for a week of rentals and not bother bringing a board at all.

Dang, I paid $40 for the on at Fanatyk Co and it was extremely limited selection. How far is the factory from the mountain (I didn't have a car)?

Originally posted by lonerider

Dang, I paid $40 for the on at Fanatyk Co and it was extremely limited selection. How far is the factory from the mountain (I didn't have a car).

You can check the web site for Demo days on the mountain, email them and let them know what size you need to demo so they can bring it up. But if not a demo day check with the local bus route that goes south to Function Junction and see how close they come to the factory or better yet email the factory and ask them how to get a demo if you are car-less. they are extremely nice people there.

AL:)

Originally posted by C5 Golfer

You can check the web site for Demo days on the mountain, email them and let them know what size you need to demo so they can bring it up. But if not a demo day check with the local bus route that goes south to Function Junction and see how close they come to the factory or better yet email the factory and ask them how to get a demo if you are car-less. they are extremely nice people there.

AL:)

Yea, I was lazy and the people at Fanatyk Co made it sound like they had a bunch of model hanging around. Prior only demos boards on the weekends and I was there Monday-Friday... It would have been a hassle to sneak before/after the lifts to head to the factory.

Has anyone compared the 4WD 174 to the 169 and maybe even the 159? What about the WCR 161 or 165? I wish I had gotten a change to demo more sizes.... hey, what about everyone who went to SES? Any opinions?

Has anyone compared the 4WD 174 to the 169 and maybe even the 159? What about the WCR 161 or 165? I wish I had gotten a change to demo more sizes.... hey, what about everyone who went to SES? Any opinions?

I can't offer a comparision but can offer I ride a 174 4X4 and it is a wonderful ride and well constructed. I have demo'd the WCR but have not added one to my quiver yet but hope to soon. Had I been more experieced riding longer boards when I bought the 174 I would have gone the 179 route I think. But I weigh 210 lbs or so , my son who is around 150 would do well on the 159 - I wish they made a 164 or so in this board for him.

Guest lonecarver

love both mountains, i go twice a year for a week at a time and always take several carving boards and one all mountain.

take the carving board and try the dave murry run, its challenging and scary fast! like the previous post says, you can always demo prior boards.

Originally posted by C5 Golfer

I can't offer a comparision but can offer I ride a 174 4X4 and it is a wonderful ride and well constructed. I have demo'd the WCR but have not added one to my quiver yet but hope to soon. Had I been more experieced riding longer boards when I bought the 174 I would have gone the 179 route I think. But I weigh 210 lbs or so , my son who is around 150 would do well on the 159 - I wish they made a 164 or so in this board for him.

Yea, I'm 5'8" 145 lbs and the 174 was a workout, it was great once I got it up on edge, but took a lot of work, especially in the trees and moguls. On the plus side, it help me work out some technique issues I was having as I need to have the proper form to put enough pressure on the edges with my small frame. If you think the 159 is good for him, it probably would be good for me too... (I agree about the limited sizes). So would a stiffer 159 work, or a same stiffness 164 be better, I'm a still a little foggy on the importance of length. Longer length with same material gives you more stifffness and edge length (for more edge hold) but what happens with a short length, short sidecut, but stiffer board?

So what did you think about the Prior WCR compared to the 4WD? I realize that for most stuff I'll probably be on my Donek Incline 155 and should probably get a dedicated freecarve board instead of an all mountain. But who knows, my dalliance in hardboots may become more serious in the future... right now I'm looking to buy size 26 (25 for Raichle) shells, for cheap... so if anyone knows where I can buy a pair, I'd be greatly appeciative.

Regarding "Fresh tracks", if you don't want to pay for the overpriced breakfast at the top but still want to get on the mountain at 7:30AM, all you do is go to the Village Gondola and tell the lifties that you are with "Fresh Tracks". They just smile and wave you on. The lifties at Whistler are usually a low-key bunch.

Addendum to my "bring rain gear" comment: Also bring lots of money. Especially if you intend to eat sushi.

Has anyone compared the 4WD 174 to the 169 and maybe even the 159? What about the WCR 161 or 165? I wish I had gotten a change to demo more sizes.... hey, what about everyone who went to SES? Any opinions? [/b]

I have a 159 which is surprisingly soft. I also have a Volkl Cross which is a much stiffer board. After buying the 159, I had the opportunity to try out the 169 and 179. They were both quite a bit stiffer and I really liked the 169 but found the 179 to be a bit of a beast in the springtime bumps that were around on the day I tried it. there was not a 174 around to try but I did try some of their freeride decks as well which seemed really solid.

I have a 174 Prior 4WD. Stiff and stable. For a wide board, quick edge to edge transition. My only beef may be that it's a bit too stiff in the tail. But, this could be a function of my binding placement. I'm going to move them around a bit and experiment.

Overall, a very nice board. Well worth taking out for a demo.

We went a couple of years ago and I brought a Donek Freecarve II and an Incline. The weight of lugging around two boards was a major pain. This year I think I'll only take the Incline. Whistler has such varied terrain and the Incline will do it all including laying down some pretty respectable trenches. I'd be too limited with just the carving board. Besides, I can always demo some Prior boards even if it's only for a couple of days. Last time we also went in April and the conditions were great on the upper half of the mountain which was plenty for me. Have a great time...Whistler is awesome.