Note to New Members ×

Anybodoy on Oahu

Dave Winters

Dave, Joey is there, just ask around as I'm sure everyone knows him. How's the kitesurfing Look???

I'm on South padre island soaking up sun and the wind has been off the hook. kiting 3 sessions a day from anywhere between 1 to 3 hrs per session.

Joel

Probably, if things work out with funding with the Navy Reserves. I'll be going out for a language class over by Schofield Barracks. Maybe I'll stay somewhere on the North Shore around Waialua or something. Let me know if you go out for a little kite surfing Michelle! I'll join you too, but I won't go naked. You can find me at Pounders doing some bodyboarding if there's any good waves then or at Sharks Cove!

Michelle,

CO doesn't have any real good kiting areas other than winter on Dillon. But we have other things to do in the winter...don't we???? :lol:

If you want to be serious about learning to kiteboard-kitesurf in water then I can tell you to save up some money and head down here to South Padre next October. October is a good month to be here. last year I got 30 out of 31 days on the water. October is cheap down here too. Food is great and the Island is quiet except for kiters and windsurfers. the thing here is that after you've gone thru lessons (which are a must) then we kite on a huge beach where you can go out over a mile and still be only waist deep. This makes things so much easier to learn how to go both directions and then go upwind. Lots of people to help and the beach is HUGE so there is lots of room. It's definetly busier here right now since all the snow people are here jonesing to get on the water so there are lots of people here at the moment which makes it a bit more intimadting to learn. Since you snowboard then the board skills are there so now you need to learn how to fly a kite (big powerful kites) AND board at the same time :eplus2::eplus2: Doesn't take long but does take a bit of a commitment to learn a new sport which CO isn't that friendly for.

that's it for now. Just got in from a long great day on the water. I'm learning to jump now and I'm really tired. Got to get ready for another day tomorrow. :biggthump

Joel

There's a ton of new names for the new style kites. I started my first lessons awhile back on the "traditional" C style kite and have now progressed to what is being called a SLE (Supported Leading Edge). It's not a true "Bow" by its definition but closer to a Bow style because of the leading edge bridal and a lot more depower than a real C. These days kites are changing very fast. There are fewer old style C's that are kind of changing a little to become called "Hybrids" the new North's and some of the Naish line are becoming these Hybrids. Then there are the SLE's which seem to be dominating the market, Best Waroos, GK's, Slingshot Link, Naish Boxer and Shockwave, Cabrinha Switchblade and Omega and others. Then lastly the few REAL bows like the Cabrinha Crossbow which kind of got the term "Bow" started and gets a lot of people to categorize everything other than true C's into the Bow term.

anyway that's a lot of technical crap.

I've migrated to the Naish Shockwaves. I'm in love with these kites. My goals are to be good and proficient in so called flatwater but my true calling is to get into the waves and that's my reason for going with that model. Friends of mine are on every other make and model out there and they are all good kites. It seems like for 2007 just about everything will put a smile on your face but from what I am seeing out here in the market is that the SLE and Bow kites are DOMINATING the place.

Sorry for writing a book.

joel

Hey Joel

I could do early Oct in South Padre, maybe for a week or so. Think Fin would let me off for the entire month of Oct to Kite? I also won't get any hate mail or nasty phone calls when orders are late and I use the excuse "well, I was kiting all Oct....so too bad" :biggthump

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'm on vacation next week with a lot of time at my parents, so I will have time to sort through the kiting web sites and educate myself. I might be going to Puerto Rico outside of Salinas to kite for a week really soon, but I have to get some equipment to take down with me unless there is something I can rent out of San Juan. I will also need a lesson or two but I am serious about it!

Kipstar, is your friend in the US or Thailand?

I got you Message sorry I haven't gotten back I have been slammed with stuff..

I will keep you in the loop if I am in or around the area. We will get you under a kite! Even if you have to come visit Christy and I for some time!!

Same advise as last time... Get a trainer and fly it all the time the more you know the kite the better off you are!

I have a lesson today It my first on on water since my knee went Kaput. I am stoked. i just hope I don't get some unathletic joey..... But I'll still get them up and kiting if so. And since we all know your no Joey you'll be a great kiter you just need to put in time and practice. Best do it with a trainer on land First.

The more you fly the trainer the faster your learning curve will be!!

I will of course reccomend a trainer from Best Kites but any 2-3 meter foil will do. The nice thing about the 3 meters are they pull harder so you have to fly well. Of course get a trainer with a leash so you can let it go at any time. Expect to pay about 150 for a good trainer. Which is much cheaper then paying for a lesson. Go work Anton for one perhaps he will just let you borrow one for a while.