Note to New Members ×

Mt. Hood Carve Fest?

slopetool

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you know about what the altitude of the picture would be?

Jim will hopefully correct me if I am wrong, looks like he just got off at the top of Palmer approx 8500' .

Here are some extensive galleries of the Timberline Ski Area

FineLineClub

Oldsnowboards

Some helpful links related to the PNW / Mt Hood

In advance- WELCOME to the PNW!!

Check out MHM and Mt Bach galleries also. By the time you get here you will feel like you know the place, well sort of.

(suggest using "Slideshow" and set the time interval at 1-3 seconds)

Looks like you might also have an interest in "Track Day at PIR" ?

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how much oxygen I'll be needing to carry with me when attempting that run ;)

Looks like you might also have an interest in "Track Day at PIR" ?

Absolutely! The picture is kind of old (from the early 90's) and I don't have that bike anymore though (I do still have my '74 Guzzi V-7sport though) but I dream of getting a 250 2-stroke or perhaps a 500 and setting it up for high speed cornering, it's the whole reason I got into carving. The avatar pic is from the Hawaii race track near Honolulu. One problem though... I just had twins and I'm really not sure if my wife will be willing to sacrifice any one of our limbs to possible injury because it takes all of them to take care of them. I'll be using every bit of persuasive energy to get out onto that track! and it would be fun to see if I still fit into those leathers.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how much oxygen I'll be needing to carry with me when attempting that run ;)

No worries, just don't pull a "Tourist" move like going up in shorts and a t-shirt.

The early morning "Broken Safety Glass" loaded with salt can provide some mean road rash to the unsuspecting. Let us know when you arrive. Good bunch of guys in the Portland area. You may want to look into the season pass deals this summer. Shame to arrive late and pay full price.

PS, Jim hit a really good day (just after some new snow), it is not always ideal. Still , it is the best show in town.

Enjoy!

OMG Jim, was that a picture of Heaven? I'm presently planning a move to Portland this fall sometime and if that's what I have to look forward to for next winter over the cloud cover I think I can deal with the winter cloud cover when I'm under them!

PS, That particular run (off Palmer chairlift) may or may not be available during the winter season. It is very exposed to the big wet storms and extreme winds. The good news is there are plenty of other great areas to ride.

The pic was from the top of palmer just off the chair looking down the public lanes . Bryan's favorite area is out bounds to the west over in zig-zag / sandy headwall. Here is a pic after hiking 20min higher in that area with some nice lines down from crater rock. (not mine). Enjoy .

Jim

post-219-141842232644_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great responses! The last two Sundays have been great carving and even some untracked to be had. Lets hope the weather holds out and deals us some great conditions for the get together.

How is everyone feeling about the June Carve Fest?

Ed

Well, that works out great that the Snowperformance Camp is on the same weekend in June.

Yes, the June dates are on Father's Day weekend - June 15,16 and 17th.

Please don't bring your dad unless he shreds the gnar.

If anyone is hungry on Fri. 7:30am? We can meet up at the Huckleberry Inn for breakfast? Sounds pretty damn good. Even just a short stack or a cup of coffee. If you're running early enough.

The weather is really shaping up for wonderful Spring conditions.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/ski_ride/conditions.php

See you soon,

Ed

Thanks for the heads up on the opening time, Jim. And I'll see you at the Huckleberry Inn on Friday morning.

One of the cool things about the Spring/Summer season is being able to see, catch up or wait for people. Lets try to meet up on the hours of 9, 10 & 11 at the bottom of Palmer. Just at the top of the Magic Mile, there is a flat area between the two lifts. And we should be able to be able to eventually see each other on the lift or riding if we get out of the group.

Oh, and the Chinese Downhill is at high noon everyday.

Weather is still looking good. Those Huckleberry Pancakes are going to be tasty!

I'll try to check in tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ed

Mike,it looks like my timing is about a week off.Maureen has to go to Toronto with our boys for a week starting next Tuesday as her mom is having surgery to remove cancer.So, Maureen has to work this weekend to make up for the lost time and that means me taking care of our boys then.I think since I will be on my own the weekend of the 19th I may try to come down then even though the gathering won't be happening then. If anything changes before this weekend I'll let you know.

Looks like I will be down for Fathers day but plan to be down Saturday night so I might be looking for a floor to crash on. Wish I could make the May session but have fun without me, Ill be planting flowers with the missus

Today is shaping up nicely. High thin scattered clouds.

And there is still Sunday. Saddle-up and sneak out of the house for a few hours why don't ya? I don't think everyone and their mother will be up there. Well, maybe in the lodges looking at the wood beams and gift shop.

oh, I love you Mom! :1luvu: so sorry I couldn't meet for brunch.