Note to New Members ×

considering a used beemer... (scuse me, bimmer)

Jack M

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a BMW 3 then! ;)

I will admit the M3 is at the top or near the top..Waiting for a test drive in the V-8 soon to be out. Too bad someone does not make a C5-C6 Corvette looking car with a M3 V-8 underpinnings and interior. That would be a double thumbs up! :biggthump:biggthump

The 6 series coupe is not far behind. But at the opposite end of the spectrum I have been looking at 1930-1932 Chevys and a 1963 Pontiac Catalina.

Not really. Cayman has only 2 seats and is mid-engined. The 911 has always been and always will be a 2+2 and rear-engined. Price wise, it's between the base 911 and the Boxster S. Some people call it 911 Lite, others a hardtop Boxster with balls. The Boxster, despite being a great ride, developed a bit of a reputation as a chick car or more accurately, trophy wife's car. The Cayman was an effort to attract performance-oriented male buyers who didn't want to drop $100,000 on a 911.

Interesting, I didn't know all that. I never considered the Boxster a chick car. To me a woman looks out of place in any Porsche. (I suppose Christy Brinkley wouldn't since she drove that Ferrari so well) Now, the VW Jetta, that's a chick car. (new model not as much)

For a lot of purists, the 911 ended in 1999 when Porsche went to a water-cooled engine.

Ugh, what nonsense. Air cooling is a joke best played on Harley riders. Only Ducati pulls it off right. I never liked the sound of those older 911's - like they were tearing themselves apart above 3k. (all imo, of course!)

Sorry -- Butt ugly
I really like them. Neighbour of mine bought one and I had a chance to drive it - very nice. I've always loved Mazda's sports car ergonomics. Friend of mine at work had a 3rd gen RX7 - gorgeous car, but fragile with the sequential twin turbos.

My main problem with Mazda is the local dealership. I've had an MPV (I know, lust after the sports car, own the minivan) for the last dozen years and have given up on the dealer as the source for any sort of honest or competent service. Bought the Sienna partly because my buddy is head mechanic at the dealership and I know I'll get treated right.

Car talk. Good use of our time in between snowboard and golf seasons.

The M3. Here's a good example of modern luxo-bloat. Take a lean, mean coupe built for touring car racing and load it up with power everything and jam a V-8 into it. Start the marketing machine - 420 HORSEPOWER! Impress your friends at the country club!

Sadly, same thing happened at Porsche. My '88 911, I can strip the interior down to bare metal in about 30 minutes. Back then, Porsche understood that trim equals weight so they kept it to a minimum meaning that the 217hp air-cooled flat six was more than adequate to keep the car moving.

My cousin owned a '73 911. You open the engine bay and you see one single belt driving the alternator. That's it. It's beautiful in its simplicity.

Jack, you'll want to add Porsche to your list of companies that go air-cooling right. More accurately, they are air and oil cooled. My '88 takes 11 litres of oil in a dry-sump lubrication system. I know guys who have broken their fan belt and still drove their cars home. New belt, change the oil and no worse for the wear.

The 3.2 Carrera engine is a hell of a piece of engineering. In 1987, RUF built the Yellow Bird which managed 469 hp and 409 ft-lbs of torque out of that basic engine. The reason Porsche went to water cooling was to keep up with emissions and fuel economy standards and refinement. By refinement, we are talking about electrical load and weight.

As for the sound of the air-cooled engines, I haven't had a working stereo in 3 years. The only music I need is the sound of that flat six.

Buy a well maintained 911 SC ('78-83) or 911 Carrera 3.2 ('84-'88) and you will never regret it. It sounds like a contradiction in terms but it really is a practical sports car.

As for the Boxster, I quote Ralph Cifaretto from the Sopranos:

"A Boxster is a Porsche with panties."

• 1 year later...

Picked her up on Friday 4/25/08...

330xi_1.JPG

2003 330xi, 38,800 miles, 6 speed manual, all wheel drive, Harmon Kardon stereo, leather, nav system... yeehaw! My friends are teasing me for buying such an expensive yuppie car, but they quickly become very supportive and intrigued when I tell them the price... $21,500!

Well, all except for John (TT) of course.

Nice.

I hope you found yourself a good, independent BMW mechanic. Taking your car to a BMW dealer is a road to financial ruin.

Yup, good idea to find the best mechanic for the buck. Our oldest (95') costs us about $2500 a year. Sorry, I would have warned you but I just noticed the thread.

My wife has had one for the last 27yrs. One in particular (95' 325 is) is incredible. Dozens of incidents from women flipping me off while running stop signs to A-holes riding my bumper and flipping me off (of course) while they could easily pass. My daughter just gave it back to us after getting the same vibe. No problem with her Toyota. What is it about that car?

I'm on e46fanatics.com as hk_ont. e46fanatics is e46 specific (obviously), so I prefer it to the general BMW forums.

Based on the info on that forum, I figured out how to retrofit cruise control and a multi-function steering wheel. Cost me $300 in used parts and a couple of hours of labour. At purchase time, it would've been a $3,000 option.

autowerkes looks like a decent shop based on their web page description. It's also not a bad idea to join the BMW Club and get recommendations there.

Just because it's under warranty doesn't mean you have to get your maintenance service at a dealer. Brake work is an absolute rip-off at Toronto area dealers. And they are always recommending questionable, non-warranty service like "fuel injector flush" or crap like that. I once went in for a $120 oil change (yep, $120) and they recommended $1,500 worth of optional but "recommended" work.

Another good idea is to buy a Bentleys manual. It's about $80 on eBay and it is money well spent.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=B305

Jim: I've owned a '89 325ix and now own a '03 320i and I never get any attitude. BMWs are a dime a dozen in this neck of the woods. The older models, e30s and e36s, are now pretty much in the hands of 25 year olds who like to mod them up. I would think it's the same way on pretty much the entire West Coast. In San Francisco, I see pizza guys driving Bimmers.

As Jim says, they are not cheap cars to own but you can really bring the costs down by doing your own maintenance. Oil changes are an absolute breeze. The filter is a disposable cartridge that is accessible from the *top* of the engine. How smart is that.

Lastly, another great resource here: http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e46

Enjoy. And remember Jack, a BMW is not happy unless it is driven hard. I highly recommend a track session to familiarize yourself with that fine piece of German engineering.

Yup, good idea to find the best mechanic for the buck. Our oldest (95') costs us about $2500 a year. Sorry, I would have warned you but I just noticed the thread.

My wife has had one for the last 27yrs. One in particular (95' 325 is) is incredible. Dozens of incidents from women flipping me off while running stop signs to A-holes riding my bumper and flipping me off (of course) while they could easily pass. My daughter just gave it back to us after getting the same vibe. No problem with her Toyota. What is it about that car?

I am a 3 series Fan--- care to elaborate on what you spend your $2500 on each year??

I do not own one yet --- My 1980 280 SL Mercedes is still going strong so until that dies?????? -- but then I might just get buried in that- Seems it is in better shape than I.

Jack:

Almost forgot - if you're an iPod user, pick up the Dice interface for BMW. Install it yourself. Takes 15 minutes. Works perfectly with the BMW Business CD deck. Much better than the BMW kit or the HK Drive+Play (junk).

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DETEST01&Category_Code=DICE_IPOD_BMW

I can give you detailed instructions on how to route the cable to the centre console and make a stealth installation.

Jim: I've owned a '89 325ix and now own a '03 320i and I never get any attitude. BMWs are a dime a dozen in this neck of the woods. The older models, e30s and e36s, are now pretty much in the hands of 25 year olds who like to mod them up. I would think it's the same way on pretty much the entire West Coast. In San Francisco, I see pizza guys driving Bimmers.

As Jim says, they are not cheap cars to own but you can really bring the costs down by doing your own maintenance. Oil changes are an absolute breeze. The filter is a disposable cartridge that is accessible from the *top* of the engine. How smart is that.

Lastly, another great resource here: http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e46

Enjoy. And remember Jack, a BMW is not happy unless it is driven hard. I highly recommend a track session to familiarize yourself with that fine piece of German engineering.

Yeah, a guzillion of em around here. Tough to get good inexpensive work done around my town. At least a 25 mile drive to other shops. My older brother is the wrencher in the family and I like my cars to look the same as I bought them. It only takes one bad mechanic to melt an engine and we have had a couple through the years, starting with the first 77' 320i. One had left a hose under the radiator loose and the other replaced a water pump on recommendation (plastic to metal) but broke the inlet to the radiator in the process. It broke 4 months later. Couldn't prove a thing.

I guess I was averaging my expenses last year. There are so many of them here that the resale is next to nothing for resale. So I am using the 95" as a surf car. Just lay down the seats and shove the boards through the trunk. I need to post a pic of my "vibe mobile" for your inspection.

a BMW story...of sorts....

Anger Management

When you occasionally have a really bad day, and you just need to take it out on someone, don't take it out on someone you know, take it out on someone you don't know.

I was sitting at my desk when I remembered a phone call I'd forgotten to make. I found the number and dialed it. A man answered, saying "Hello."

I politely said, "This is Chris. Could I please speak with Robyn Carter?"

Suddenly a manic voice yelled out in my ear "Get the right f***ing number!" and the phone was slammed down on me. I couldn't believe that anyone could be so rude. When I tracked down Robyn's correct number to call her, I found that I had accidentally transposed the last two digits.

After hanging up with her, I decided to call the 'wrong' number again.

When the same guy answered the phone, I yelled, "You're an *******!" and hung up. I wrote his number down with the word '*******' next to it, and put it in my desk drawer. Every couple of weeks, when I was paying bills or had a really bad day, I'd call him up and yell, "You're an *******!" It always cheered me up.

When Caller ID was introduced, I thought my therapeutic '*******' calling would have to stop. So, I called his number and said, "Hi, this is John Smith from the telephone company. I'm calling to see if you're familiar with our Caller ID Program?"

He yelled "NO!" and slammed down the phone. I quickly called him back and said, "That's because you're an *******!" and hung up.

One day I was at the store, getting ready to pull into a parking Spot. Some guy in a black BMW cut me off and pulled into the spot I had patiently waited for. I hit the horn and yelled that I'd been waiting for that spot, but the idiot ignored me. I noticed a "For Sale" sign in his back window, so I wrote down his number.

A couple of days later, right after calling the first ******* (I had his number on speed dial,) I thought that I'd better call the BMW *******, too.

I said, "Is this the man with the black BMW for sale?"

He said, "Yes, it is." I asked, "Can you tell me where I can see it?" He said, "Yes, I live at 34 Oaktree Blvd , in Fairfax . It's a yellow rambler, and the car's parked right out in front."

I asked, "What's your name?"

He said, "My name is Don Hansen,"

I asked, "When's a good time to catch you, Don?"

He said, "I'm home every evening after five."

I said, "Listen, Don, can I tell you something?"

He said, "Yes?"

I said, "Don, you're an *******!"

Then I hung up, and added his number to my speed dial, too. Now, when I had a problem, I had two *******s to call.

Then I came up with an idea. I called ******* #1.

He said, "Hello."

I said, "You're an *******!" (But I didn't hang up.)

He asked, "Are you still there?"

I said, "Yeah,"

He screamed, "Stop calling me,"

I said, "Make me,"

He asked, "Who are you?"

I said, "My name is Don Hansen."

He said, "Yeah? Where do you live?" I said, "*******, I live at 34

Oaktree Blvd , in Fairfax, a yellow rambler, I have a black Beamer parked in front."

He said, "I'm coming over right now, Don. And you had better start saying your prayers."

I said, "Yeah, like I'm really scared, *******," and hung up.

Then I called ******* #2.

He said, "Hello?"

I said, "Hello, *******,"

He yelled, "If I ever find out who you are..."

I said, "You'll what?"

He exclaimed, "I'll kick your ass,"

I answered, "Well, *******, here's your chance. I'm coming over right now."

Then I hung up and immediately called the police, saying that I lived at 34 Oaktree Blvd , in Fairfax , and that I was on my way over there to kill my gay lover.

Then I called Channel 9 News about the gang war going down in Oaktree Blvd. in Fairfax .

I quickly got into my car and headed over to Fairfax . I got there just in time t o watch two *******s beating the crap out of each other in front of six cop cars, an overhead news helicopter and surrounded by a news crew.

NOW I feel much better.

Anger management really does work.

Willy, you are my ****ing hero!!!

I am a 3 series Fan--- care to elaborate on what you spend your $2500 on each year??

I do not own one yet --- My 1980 280 SL Mercedes is still going strong so until that dies?????? -- but then I might just get buried in that- Seems it is in better shape than I.

C5, I still remember a 70' 280 SL near my house as a kid. My kids have been driving the 95' for the past 2yrs which added a little. Hope to see you back at the OES next year.

Thanks. I'm on bimmerforums.com, seems pretty good. I'll check out that one though. Are you there?

This indy shop is up the road from me, thought I'd take it there:

www.autowerkesmaine.com

Although it has the factory extended warranty until May '09, so I'll be at the dealer till then I guess.

be careful, they'll charge a yuppie flatlander double. Better wear a Cat Power hat and a LL Bean buffalo plaid wool jacket ,maybe some Carhartts and an old flannel shirt. Use your best down'easter accent. Ayuh, she's been leakin some earl in my door yard by gawd.

My wife had an M3 before we got married. Her ex wrecked it drag racing on route 1 after a soccer match.

idiot !:smashfrea

queequeg has very low standards for heroes:rolleyes:

2eatitl.jpg

post-123-141842257106_thumb.jpg

skategoat, thanks for all the tips, I appreciate them very much. Keep 'em coming. I plan to do basic maintenance myself, hopefully I can teach myself brake work.

bimmerforums.com has an e46 specific forum, but there's nothing keeping me there I guess, other than my glorious 72 post count.

Question - I was thinking of getting either the Dice or iSimple iPod kits, but I have the nav system (http://images.autotrader.com/images/2008/3/31/240/381/6645045463.240381815.IM1.09.565x421_A.316x421.jpg) do you know if one is better than the other with that?

skategoat, thanks for all the tips, I appreciate them very much. Keep 'em coming. I plan to do basic maintenance myself, hopefully I can teach myself brake work.

bimmerforums.com has an e46 specific forum, but there's nothing keeping me there I guess, other than my glorious 72 post count.

Question - I was thinking of getting either the Dice or iSimple iPod kits, but I have the nav system (http://images.autotrader.com/images/2008/3/31/240/381/6645045463.240381815.IM1.09.565x421_A.316x421.jpg) do you know if one is better than the other with that?

I believe the Dice works as long as you use the trunk interface. That means running a cable to the CD changer connector in the trunk. Very easy to do. It's how I have mine installed. Best to check with Tom at EAS:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_69_135_170&products_id=1621

The Dice is very good. Works really well with the steering wheel and head unit controls. The only gripe is that there is a slight lag between button press (next track) to response from the iPod. Not that bad really. I had a Dension Icelink interface before the Dice and it was not easy to to use.

I'm not familiar with the iSimple kits. Best to ask around on the Bimmer forums.