Note to New Members ×

Different boots for different boards??

groovastic

I've never ridden an allmtn board, but i am thinking of getting one. perhaps Coiler AM (23 cm in waist).

Having ridden longer and shorter, softer and stiffer race/carve boards i drew a conclusion that some boards "prefere" really hard boots, and others not so hard ones. Or am I wrong?

and what about all mtn boards?

I guess my UPZ boots would be too stiff for such a ride, no?

what boots do you suggest?

and what's the difference between Suzuka and Track 325? Hardness is 6 on both, as i saw on deeluxe website. is it the canting only?

thanks

If you can find them, there is a Blax/DSM/Line model that uses a Head shell and has an adjustable lean wheel in the back. It works really well. The boot is fairly soft (softer than my Raichle 225s) but supportive. Very nice boot.

There's a size 29 in the classifieds right now.

UPZ with Coiler AM - I am currently riding this set-up with Catek standard OS1's.

So the real question is what flex you are looking for and what bindings you are riding. Stiffer boots with an AM isn't a bad thing depending on what you are looking to ride. Different binding models or having Bruce soften/stiffen up the board can make all the difference. My board is a little softer than I had expected, but it works with the stiff binding/boot interface that I ride, so good for all mountain conditions.

So what I'm saying is, no need to go buy another set of expensice boots. Especially if your boots are comfy! There are other options that could work out better.

-Gord

BTS springs are not made to be switch-outable. you can change them, but not without basically taking the whole system apart first. It's a set it and forget it system, much like their bindings. Switching springs is about the same as switching e-rings every time you ride, except switching springs causes more wear on the system.

BTS springs are not made to be switch-outable. you can change them, but not without basically taking the whole system apart first. It's a set it and forget it system, much like their bindings. Switching springs is about the same as switching e-rings every time you ride, except switching springs causes more wear on the system.

Ya, you're right. Eventually the pins would stop gripping the plastic.

well, i do have two sets of boots for different boards/conditions.

i have 2 sets of os2s adjusted one for each set of boots, and just move the top plate back and forth between sets and boards to switch.

i have head stratos pros in size 27 with race tounges which i ride on my alpine boards, and track 325s in size 28 which i ride on my tanker and reto.

i find that the softer flex in the 325 in powder mode is great for the AM boards, and that even in lockout, i can't get them tight enough to drive a coiler PR 184.

on the other hand, the head stratos is just too damn stiff for the tanker, and i can't utilize my twitch reflexes to ride comfortably in powder and trees.

the only reason i have the switchable bindings is for slushy days where i want the softer boots on my alpine board to minimize shin bang.

Might check out the SB series. A set of SB 314 or 413 :) with softer BTS set up can offer the flex that many prefer for all mountain hard boot riding. More side to side flex than the AF series.

With the SB series, you can collect different tongues and change them out easily. I used to do that with a pair of 225's.

Can't get your Track 325's tight enough to drive the Coiler? I've got a custom Surefoot orthotic and liner in my 325's and they are as snug (and comfortable) as can be. Perhaps whatever liner you are using simply isn't adequate, as the boot material itself is plenty stiff.