Note to New Members ×

Any Skiers here?

Mark.Andersen

I'm looking for a change of pace for the sloppy spring afternoons we get out in Tahoe. I usually carve in the AM and then hit the road around lunch when things soften up too much for proper edgehold.

I'd like to find some skis that have pretty tight sidecut, probably something like 14-16M. I rented a pair last weekend with a bigger sidecut (20+M) and I kept falling over to the inside of my turns expecting the skis to come around like my alpine boards. The shop guy listened to my desires and suggested the Atomic C 9. The specs seem like what I want (170CM @ 15M sidecut) but I can't seem to find a pair to try out.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Mark

The C9 has a 17m sidecut. If you go with one of Atomics slalom skis, you can get an 11 or 12m sidecut.

FWIW: I've had more success getting close to laid out turns on short slalom skis with really aggro sidecuts, than I have on softer flexing recreational or beginner skis. This is because the SL boards will hold an edge and respond to aggessive riding better (esp at speed) than their softer cousins will. So, depending on how strong/athletic you are, I would suggest SL skis.

I've skied 3 times since 1985 (2 times this year actually). Does that make me a skier?

I don't know what the sidecut is on the skis I have gotten recently, but when I do ski, I get fairly short skis, in the 160-ish range, and I haven't had a problem falling to the inside. I would guess that most rental shop monkeys will have no idea what the radius is on skis, I would check out the stats of the skis on the producers websites before you go in.

My $.02 - probably no help at all.

Much bigger response than I expected. Many thanks to all.

Tommy D:

The Atomic website says that the C9 170 has a 15M radius. The 180s have a 17M radius.

I'm not looking for something super aggressive so I think I should stay from SL Race skis. I'm looking for casual afternoon fun instead of high performance... I've got plenty of chance of hurting myself in the AM on my carving board.

Jack:

I fart in your general direction. :-)

Ncermak:

Thanks, I'll check out the Volkl. Do you know if there is any rise to the tail at all? I'm looking for something that will be able to land the occasional 180 in the park.

Again, thanks.

Mark

Guest mphdemon

I was a skier right up until last year, I don't think that you need a ski with a deep sidecut, I would say that you might want to try some twin tip ski's they're kinda soft but when you carve on them they're soft enough that they pull a pretty small radius. I don't know how good of a skier you are but if you can carve already then these might be good, if you still kinda skid your turns on ski's then don't get these cause they're kinda hard to carve unless you know what you're doing. But they can def make a nice tight carve when you push them a bit. They're also kinda springy so they feel kinda similar to a carving board.

There are a lot of Atomic SL 9s and a couple of 11's on Ebay for under $300 (11 and 12 meter radiuses respectively). Both of these have gotten great reviews.

I agree with MPH about twin-tips (some of them) being good swiss army knives. My Solomon 1080s are a great do it all ski... carves well, and are plenty wide in the waist to be great in powder. They do feel sketchier doing mach speed-super G turns compared to my Atomic 9-20s, but if I could only have one pair of skis it would be the 1080s. I'm DYING to try the SL 11s.

I broke down and bought ski boots this year. Now I'm also looking for skis.

I just find that snowboarding (at least *my* snowboarding) has its limitations. I can't go in big bumps and cruddy or mash potato snow really throws me around. With skis, I can run just about anything.

My last set of skis were old-school 205cm slalom skis. Now I'm not sure what length to buy. I'm being told everything from 160 to 180. I'm looking for versatile and bump friendly skis.

Any thoughts guys? I weigh 190 and am 5'10".

BTW, the new Nordica ski boots I bought are like butter. I have never felt such comfort. Ski boots have come a long way.

Guest mphdemon

Skategoat, you should really demo some twin tips sometime, they're really soft, they do well in moguls, they ride like a snowboard, and they'll go through just about anything. I'd also say that, a good size for you would probably be in the 170's range, cause they're small enough to give you a lot of control, but they're long enough to plow through crappy snow if need be. I would say probably the Rossignol "Scratch" would probably be a good choice. Solomon makes some good twin tips too. I'm not entirely sure that the 170's is the right lenght for you, but they'll know where ever you go to buy them.

PS they're awesome for back country riding, very manuverable.;)

Originally posted by skategoat

I just find that snowboarding (at least *my* snowboarding) has its limitations. I can't go in big bumps and cruddy or mash potato snow really throws me around. With skis, I can run just about anything.

Maybe you need a softer board for a broader range of conditions? Chris Houghton is in your neck of the woods, he might have some all-mountain boards you could try.

Guest Jack1080

I've been racing skiis and boards for a few years and I traded in my atomics for a pair of Fischers. Although atomics have great edge hold you really have to be aggresive to get it to turn. With the Fischers and even Dynastars its as if they turn for you. Plus I would recommend a fairly short ski. I'm 6'2" and 220lbs and I ride a 156 Fischer slalom ski.

Just a thought..