Note to New Members ×

Catek D3

Pow

"- Substantial elastomer thickness compared to other bindings available"

seems like Caron feels the need to jab at competition. Does Bomber do that? I hope not.

agreed, seems like company ego is higher over on the other side. But they make a good product (although i think id still prefer TD2s) and are moving forward with new (for them anyway) ideas, which is good for us the riders:biggthump

edit: It doesnt seem very sophisticated though... reviewing what they say about it, isnt it just twice as thick as their original elastomer piece?:smashfrea

yeah yeah . . . no secret here that I am a catek whore. . . but that being said. . .

I dont think that Jeff was taking a Jab at bomber/fin on the "- Substantial elastomer thickness compared to other bindings available" line. I believe it to be more of a comment on everyone else on the market (Burton, Phiokka, F2 etc). Knowing both jeff and fin personally, I think they are both class acts. Jeff is just trying to advertise his binding products as he see fits. I think reading any more into it than that is not the right thing to do. Now if he came directly out and said, something that singled out the TD2, then I might agree with you, but he didn't.

Now to the product themselves. I rode the D3's for the first time all week at the SES. Comming from the east coast, I wasn't sure if I was feeling any improvement due to the D3's or just softer snow. After returning home, I can personally atest to the better isolation that the D3's provide. That and they also fix some of the issues I have with the stock OS2 elastomers. I reccomend the D3's to anyone riding on tight, icy conditions. I can really feel a reduction in especially heel side chatter in marginal conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

A primary design goal of the D3 system was to provide increased protection for boards in two categories:

1. lightweight/less robustly constructed freeride boards

2. titanal topsheet raceboards

We envisioned that the first group of boards would likely see use with the FR2 soft binding. Few mass market boards are constructed with anything remotely resembling the care and quality that we see in boards from Donek, Prior, Coiler, Virus, and the handful of other specialty producers that we know and love. The direct power transmission of the FR2 is unlike any other soft binding available, so we felt it attendent upon us to design a system to help protect these mass market freeride boards with which the FR2 might likely be used.

Titanal topsheet race boards have historically been more prone to point-load stress failures than conventional construction alpine boards, and as such, we also wanted to provide a system that provided extra protection for these boards when used with the OS2 binding.

The D3 elastomers are made of high performance silicone, with stepped thickness higher durometer pad under the mounting disc to provide firm support (and avoid "binding suck") while still providing isolation from "metal on metal" contact. The pads placed under the perimeter Power Plate contact points are molded from a much softer durometer silicone and also feature a profile engineered to reduce point loading.

In addition to meeting the primary design goal of protecting boards, the D3s do provide a quieter ride -- particularly on harsh conditions -- as well as a number of other benefits that you can read about on the CATEK website.

The statement regarding elastomer thickness is simply that, a statement of fact. It's not a slam at the TD2, or for that matter the F2, Phiokka, Snowpro, or Burton/Ibex plates. Each of these bindings has respective "selling points" -- in this case, the D3's design, which does provide more elastomer thickness under the entire binding footprint, is a selling point. Trying to turn that statement into a divisive "us vs. them" Bomber-bash is a bit absurd.

• 6 months later...

Can I run OS2s with D3 dampeners on a Kessler without damaging the topsheet? If not, would putting shaped 1/16" inch Plexiglass sheets with a much larger footprint under the bindings distribute the pressure enough to prevent dimpling? I really can't afford trial amd error ($$:eek:$$) on this one, if you know what I mean.

Kessler riser plates for sure, in addition to the D3.

S-Flex plates might work too or the heavy Hangl.

Bola, Do you carry the Kessler Risers? I believe the S-Flex requires 10-pack inserts for mounting (5 rows) and I only have 4 rows. Thanks.

Hey Thumper:

I wanted to let you know that CATEK will shortly be launching a thin spacer product designed for use on titanal boards.

I tested the spacer last season with fantastic results. It's a thin spacer done right -- custom shaped and machined out of high grade polycarbonate. This material is amazingly tough and distributes point loads exceptionally well without adding weight or complexity. It also fits on any 4x4; no odd insert requirements.

I'm to the point that I ride the spacer on all of my boards, and the added protection is a no-brainer when it comes to protecting your serious investment in a Kessler or similar titanal board.

Cheers,

scott@catek.com

Thanks Scott, I'm definitely interested. I have my OS2s completely dialed in, love them :1luvu: , and do not want to change bindings if I don't have to. I just finished making spacers out 1/16" polycarbonate and am now wondering if 1/16" is thick enough to prevent damage. I made 2 sets so I could stack them, if necessary. It also looks like the Kessler spacers have what's called "rocker" in surf-speak or a lengthwise bottom curvature, especially the lower spacer. It may just be an optical illusion in the photo though.

can't let that paragraph go without a response, to good a product

IMHO if you got binding suck you overheated your board when you were waxing, and binding suck don't matter

you ain't in water. yer on edge

A bit confused ummm -where in my previous post was "binding suck" even mentioned?? Also, why would I flame a product that I am looking to buy? I was just commenting that in the previously posted photo (which I now see has been deleted), the Kessler spacers looked, to me at least, like they might have some lengthwise curvature to them -not that that's a bad thing, just a now-proven-to-be-erroneous observation. Thanks for confirming that the spacers are flat, which would make them much easier to make although I would prefer to get some professionally machined spacers from Kessler or Catek if I can find them. I'm glad to hear that you've used these spacers and are happy with them.