Note to New Members ×

Gear for nearcountry/backcountry riding?

zoltan

Hey Zoltan,

I think you have already mentioned the main things for riding in the trees. I think the main one is, as much as possible, visual contact. I just blew my knee, for the year, at the bottom of a wonderful powder tree run. Luckily, we were in visual contact, so someone could go for help quickly. I will admit though, that visual contact is often temporary in the trees.

As you already mentioned, radios. We are planning to get radios for the trees for next year. Mike T has said that he and his wife will use them in the trees at Mt Bachelor and they work well.

A whistle is certainly a good idea.

We do not ride with a shovel as crucible suggested, but Rebecca managed to slide into a tree well the other day, luckily board first. She had to unbind one foot to climb out. Be careful.

The snow is finally getting good (so I hear anyway). I think you will have a great trip.

Guest needanswer

Why don't avalanche happen in bounds or does it just happen rarely?

I understand resorts - close off trails/blow off excess snow/groom,

is that enough , what about between trails, un groomed areas, trees?

has there been avalanche in inbounds area?

An avalanche killed someone in bounds at Park City, in the early 90's (not sure of exact year). There are many reasons why avalanches are kept in check in bounds. One is skier traffic, the ground layers of snow get compacted by skier weight and usually it adds strength to the snowpack. But the main reason is what the ski patrol does. By ski cutting trails and doing explosive work they set off the avalanches before the public does. This morning I heard bombs going off from Park City and The Canyons. It went on for most of the day.

In the backcountry an avalanche is just sitting there waiting for something to trigger it, while inbound the ski patrol triggers them before they get out of control.

Slides can happen in ski areas, though, they are fortunately rare these days. I have been caught in a shallow, new snow slide at Taos (yes, on skis) in the mid 90's that took me down the hill a bit. Fortunately, when it stopped, my head was above the snow. I am always aware that the snow can slide.

Last year there was a large slide at Mammoth, inbounds.

http://www.snowboard-mag.com/node/10973

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12359894/

Generally, most of the slopes inbounds get compacted by riders or cut and blasted by patrol. This will create a much different snow layer structure than found just out of bounds at the resort. Patrol does a great job keeping us safe!

I have yet to see an inbounds slide but every year when we take our avalanche search refresher for the Ski Patrol, they tell us 2 people have died at our Mountain inbounds due to slides. I know personally of one patroller that was ski cutting and got buried in a semi forested area. (he got wrapped around one about a meter below the surface.). We drink Zambucca every year on the anniversary of that one. :biggthump

Ski areas like Fernie actually have slides that start out of bounds and come in to the ski runs burying people. Last year was especially bad for them.

Phil, good posting there. I dont have much BC experience but I know better than to temp fate by being ignorant to the potential Hazards.

I am kicking myself this year as there has been 2 avalanche courses put on and I couldnt make either one.

Phil has nailed it!

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT RIDING ANY WHERE THAT IS NOT WITHEN THE RESORT YOU SHOULD NOT BE RIDING OUTSIDE THE RESORT......

I HAVE BEEN A MOUNTAINEER FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS AND YOU COULD NOT PAY ME ENOUGH TO GUIDE A GROUP IN UTAH RIGHT NOW!!!!!

DO NOT GO BEYOND THE CANYONS GATES!!!!

THIS IS THE REAL ****, THIS YEAR IS KILLING PEOPLE!!!!

There is so much good terrain inbounds, that is controled that I am sure you will be plenty challanged.....

If you cant find trees inbounds in Utah you would not be able to find the airport to get here they are that obvious every where.

Please since I moved here some uneducated tourist dies yearly

IF YOU DONT KNOW DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've already said I'll be staying in bounds so could we maybe get back to the original question? Please?

If anyone has more ideas on keeping in touch with your riding partner in the IN BOUNDS trees, please let me know. Or, you know, you can just post more pictures of avalanches and keep telling me to stay inside the gates.

In all honesty, Zoltan did ask a legit question now and everybody is continuing to be pretty dickish. Anybody have any real advice?

I would think that a pair of motorola radios would work pretty good, but that's comin from somebody who's never been on a mountain with a vert in the 4 digits.

Moto FRS radios are good, but their signal can get caught due to terrain features.

The best advice I can give you is to ride in the trees within sight of your partner, it takes some skill to do this type of "formation flying", but it really gives you the best chance at survival.

Have fun with it dude!

FRS radios with good external battery packs or extra batteries are a must. Having a plan to meet EVERY time you exit a tree run would be good, too. If your partner isn't behind you when you exit, how are you going to ascend to find him? Snowshoes? Bring a shovel, just in case. Beacons would let the ski patrol find you quicker, if they know you are using one. With a little practice you theoretically could find your partner fairly quick. Make a plan and stick with it, that is the best advice, and don't go somewhere you do not feel comfortable going even if you get pressure from your partner.

I feel you have already gotten your answer about inbounds riding.

In bounds have a trail map, go in with a plan. Before you drop in make sure everyone knows what lift you will be ending up at. A whistle comes in handy. Radios tend to be a pain to dig out constantly while riding, cell coverage is uaually good enoungh if people get seperated.

On a different note I don't feel like I'm being dickish at all by posting avy pics. You are stating that you are coming to Utah to ride in the "nearcountry". Well that is my back yard. I can look to my right as I type this and see one of the slides I posted. I was giving advice to someone who needs to be better educated about the current state of the snow pack. People are being caught in slides daily right now. You said you will stay in bounds this trip. To me that means you will go OB on future trips, so you don't take it serious, which means to me that you may be tempted to go OB while you are here.

Gleb sorry about your friend, but the harsh truth is that he and his dad made a very selfish and stupid decision. They were warned by a ski patroller earlier that day about the current hazards, yet for some reason they ignored the advice and one of them ended up dead.

Pebu, dickish? Real advice? :smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

The tree riding question has been fairly well covered.

Phil Fell needs to be thanked for putting the time and effort into demonstrating to the OP, just how dangerous it is to ride out of bounds. Especially, right now in Utah! There is a serious problem with the "trendiness" of the "nearcountry." Riders who think they will be safe because they are next to a ski resort. The lifts allow easy access for those who are unwilling to put in the time to learn the proper ways to ride BC. In Utah, you can watch visitors head off daily into conditions they do not understand that might kill them or someone else.

A big vote for the line of sight way. radios are nice, but if your partner bonks his head or goes into a tree well, they may not be able to get to the radio. Follow near to your partners tracks, or if your in front, stop occasionally and wait. Almost lost my buddy of 30 yrs. in a "near bounds" incident at baker, now I treat OB ropes and uncontrolled areas like kryptonite. Phil should be thanked for posting those pics, the danger of BC travel can't be overemphasized, IMO. You only get so many fun tokens in life, spend them wisely. :biggthump

Got a noboard yet?

You'd probably kill on it.

Just had a day like the one you're describing, sledding at a closed resort here in Alberta... 1500 foot runs, full surf-style, completely off the rope.

I was dizzy, being so pumped. I've been riding for 25 years and NEVER have I felt something so elevating.

It might suck ,but the rider who is even slightly more skilled than his or her tree riding friend owes it to said friend (or student) to ride behind them in deep conditions. It is simply not enough to stop once in awhile as an unconsious(or just pissed off and pride damaged enough)is not able (or unwilling) to answer a voice or radio call right away or at all.Now try hiking up 100 yards through 3 feet of fresh before your friend suffocates...