Note to New Members ×

DIY scraper sharpener

bjordnolf

Well I am finally trying to contribute something for all the help I have gotten from this forum. I made this scraper sharpener yesterday in about 5 mins. All you need is roughly a 2x2 piece of wood (hopefully wood that wont warp too bad) make all corners 90 degrees and then its two quick cuts on the table saw, slip the file in and youre ready to go. And its pretty much free.

post-3039-141842228687_thumb.jpg

post-3039-141842228688_thumb.jpg

Cool

I just use an old edge bevel tool. It's only set for 0deg or 1 deg so it's rather useless for me...except as a scraper sharpener. Only problem is the file is 3" longer than the scraper so it's a rather short stroke to sharpen and kind of tricky. I may try this way.

J

Scraper sharpener, Jack. SCRAPER sharpener.

I think its clever. A worthy addition to the communal body of knowledge. Beats holding the file down on the table with one hand and dragging the scraper over it (approximately square) with the other. That's a sure way to nick a finger or two.

Scraper sharpener, Jack. SCRAPER sharpener.

I think its clever. A worthy addition to the communal body of knowledge. Beats holding the file down on the table with one hand and dragging the scraper over it (approximately square) with the other. That's a sure way to nick a finger or two.

:lol:

Cool

I just use an old edge bevel tool. It's only set for 0deg or 1 deg so it's rather useless for me...except as a scraper sharpener. Only problem is the file is 3" longer than the scraper so it's a rather short stroke to sharpen and kind of tricky. I may try this way.

J

I could not get that tool to work for me so I mounted my router to my router table and had 4 new scrapers. Only takes off about 2mm per pass.

Nice work b. Your file holder is a great idea. Another quick tune-up for a scraper can be made by taking a piece of adhesive backed sandpaper and sticking it to a smooth surface (like a counter top, or a cut-off from a sheet of MDF or other smooth sheet good). With the big surface area its pretty easy to keep the plastic scraper perpendicuar to the sanding surface. Simply work the scraper edge across the sandpaper, applying pressure as you move the scraper up and back (move it in a linear fashion - how to put it? - the same type of motion you make when you slide a credit card through a check out scanner - if that makes any sense) :) . I make my own adhesive backed sandpaper - using spray on 3m adhesive on regular (cheap) sandpaper. Happy tuning!

It's things like this that keep me coming back. NICE. Simple, elegant design. (That was redundent because what makes it an elegant design IMHO is that it is simple.) Why make it hard? I also thought the router table idea was cool, set up the fence as a jointer and bang, it's done