Note to New Members ×

Weird crash

Corey

I had a weird crash yesterday and hurt my knee a bit. Should I be concerned?

Details: I was in a toeside carve on a blue-ish run, trying to push my limits and turn harder. About half-way through the arc, I lost the edge and the board started skipping. No problem, I just layed down and figured I'd slide to a stop on my side/stomach while going feet-first.

The problem came once I'd slowed down a fair bit: the tail of the board caught a soft spot. This bent my legs and forced the tail almost in contact with my butt. With the angle of my feet, I immediately felt a sharp pain in my rear (right) knee as I did a very slow-motion high-side and came to stop with my head downhill. It had a dull ache so I took a break and then went back out.

It's not bad for riding, but if I pivot on that leg towards the left while walking it hurts a fair bit. Not excruciating, but it makes me subconsciously bend the knee to stop the pain.

You may want to do the usual ice/heat and ibuprofen routine while off the runs for a day or two before your final evaluation.

I had a more dramatic crash on a black diamond, and like you, my legs were relaxed when the the full edge caught and crushed me into my board. At first I couldn't believe I could still walk. Then pain in my knees. They ended up being sprained, but it stayed with me until the end of the season. Good Luck

Champ.... get ye to the doctor.... it's the only way to find out WTF is happening in your knee... it could be a simple little sprain or it could be a warning that something has happened and if you don't get it looked at it could get much worse....

One thing was the hardest for me to break the habit of self diagnosing what the hell I've done to myself injury wise...

I'm sure Dr D would agree.....

Based on your description, you have mildly strained your acl. If you had strained your mcl, your knee would feel "loose" when you pivot on it while walking or go up some stairs. I agree that you should go see a doctor, better to be safe.(and it won't cost you any dough). It's a good sign that you are able to walk OK.

good luck,

Dave R.

after I had twisted my knee a bit off slope a week ago I had it checked in the hospital today and have to say I hardly feel the pain anymore ...

so I also recommend a check because who knows maybe you run into an attractive doctor too

Its a good idea to get it checked. I would tend to agree that a slight sprain/strain has occurred but better safe than sorry. A few easy ortho tests , push pull does this hurt, should rule out ligament tear. misalignment of the joint is also possible and likely from what you described. Getting a chiropractor to set the joint will help the strain heal faster. A sports chiro would be able to diagnose the problem for you and if necessary refer you to a good orthopedic if its more serious. good luck

Thanks for the advice! I'll make an appointment to see a doctor at a local sports clinic if it doesn't feel 100% in the next couple of days.

It doesn't hurt nearly as bad today. Walking in a straight line is fine, as is going up stairs two at a time. There's still discomfort while pivoting, but a fraction of what it was yesterday.