Note to New Members ×

Canadians: help with shipping question

ar(angel

I would avoid UPS ground at all cost.

My brother sent me pair of old boots a few years back from California and the brokerage fee of UPS just about broke the bank (cost way more than the boots and shipping combined at the time...) :angryfire

Apparently UPS air/express the brokerage fee is included. Yours to check unfortunately.

get's charged with government sales tax, duty and brokerage. Not always but more often than not. Frankly I think it's a total crap shoot.

Put a low declared value on the package, I've had the shipper put "gift" on the packages and not been charged about 50 percent of the time. I doubt this is legal.

Depending on the size of board and how fast it get's shipped I'd say any where from $25-$40. It is going across from the far west to, relativley, far east. My $.02

Minimize packaging (but pack it securely) D-sub has posted a sticky that shows how to package a board that looks pretty good.

I've found USPS can take up to a month if not longer. GRRRR I like the tracking ability that Fed EX and UPS offers

When I from Canada Montreal to the states usually it's about 35$ for a 180 cm board., I take real care in packaging the board well and ship with USPS.

When I get a board from a commercial / store it's 50/50 chances of paying.

I declare or ask people to declare USED snowboard and I never seem to pay any customs or taxes or vise versa.

I hope this helps.

I just ordered a Coiler and had the same question for Bruce. He's busy building boards, which is where I'd rather have him. I was curious about this too. Anyone know how he ships and approx cost to ship from his shop to Wisconsin for a 184 cm board? Any idea on approx time it takes from ship to delivery?

Great timing on the question!!!!!

Frankly I think it's a total crap shoot.
Not with UPS ground - you are guaranteed to pay their stoopid brokerage fees.

If you want the tracking, pay the extra bucks for UPS express or whatever other companies air service - brokerage is included. Usually the extra cost is about the same as the brokerage fees (what a surprise) but at least you get the faster service.

USPS Priority will work well, it goes into CanadaPost when it crosses the border. If you declare the item as "used snowboard" the buyer will get hit for taxes on the declared value, but he can file a claim and get most of it back, the form is on the package when he receives it. Brokerage is $5 or so, that's it. There's a few options for reducing transit time, all dollar dependent of course.