Note to New Members ×

Soft setup on an alpine board?

Tommy D

Hi. My girlfriend is new to snowboarding (Second season) and is progressing rapidly; she has great form and is proficient at semi-carved turns both ways, just on the verge of linking fully carved turns.

For gear, she is riding on a Ride Fuel (*NOT a Timeless, my bad*), with Burton Step-in boots and matching bindings. The bindings are angled forward about 30 degrees, no cant.

We have a great time riding together, but she gets frustrated watching me carve turns, and really wants to carve her own. When she asks for advise, I encourage proper form, figuring that will lead to carving as her skill improves.

I have this crazy idea to mount her softies onto a short slalom board. What do you think? Would this be a help or a hindrance? Is it even safe to try this? Any comments/suggestions on her current setup or soft-carving advise? Have I lost my marbles? :eek:

Thanks! :)

I think I remember your old avatar was a picture of you on skis. If she skis, just buy her a board and some plate bindings and have her use her ski boots.

If not, sure, go ahead and throw her softies on an alpine deck. It sounds like you can't lose, because she sounds eager. If the softies don't cut the mustard, she'll probably be excited to try hardboots next.

If she can carve turns on her existing setup, you're probably safe to go for a freecarve or used race board. However if she's never actually felt a real carve happen, the safe bet is to get an all-mtn carver. This will be more forgiving to allow her to slide when she wants to. My sister, wife, and father all ride them when they're not skiing, and they love the versatility.

Yup. My avatar did have a pic of me on skis.

Shelly doesn't ski, so I'll mount the softies. The board I have in mind is an old SL that is easy to turn, so she should adapt pretty quickly.

If this experiment works out, hopefully I'll get her onto an all-mountain carver and some hardboots for next season!

Thanks!

The route my wife took was the following:

- Keep bumping up the angles in softboots until she was at 45F/40R on an older Burton SuperModel 162

- Swap to hardboots on a Nidecker 150 Rave (fairly flexy carving deck with ~8m sidecut) with angles at 50F/45R

- 6 days on the Nidecker, then on to a Burton UltraPrime 164, angles slowly bumped to find her comfort level, which is 60F/60R.

- 4 riding days later and she's saying things like, "I really want to try a Donek". :D

The step over from the high-angled softies to hardboots on the Nidecker was pretty seamless...dropping down to that nice turny board was definitely the way to go.

Get her a carving lesson as soon as she's comfy with the hardboots.

joe...

This is a pretty aggressive board. I was able to almost get laid out on a 165 Fuel (narrow version of the Timeless) and I'm 200 lbs.

Like it says above, just increasing boot angle. You might also want to try and thread a Booster strap thru the highback of the front binding and wrap it around the top cuff of the boot to totally lock in that foot.

Tommy you could try some old Burton 3 buckle bindings, I may have a set lying arround if I haven't stripped them for parts. You can have em if you want em you would just need the 4 hole disks, They are old and as long as burton has not changed their disk size you should be good to go I'll see if I cant dig em up

Mike

Hey, thanks everyone!

TSWEI: I was mistaken about the Timeless. I checked tonight, and she does indeed have a Fuel. About 146 in length. That is reassuring to know that the Fuel carves well; I helped her pick it out, figuring it would be a good board to start on, and grow into, but I had nothing but my own research to verify that. The Booster strap is a good idea, I'll give her one of mine this weekend.

JAGGER: If you still have those old 3 buckles, I'll be happy to take them. A friend of mine has some old burton 4-hole disks lying around that should fit. Send me an email if you find your gear.

JOECARVE: I have been bumping up her angles in subtle increments. Her reaction, "It's easier for me to ride now ... There's less stress on my knee on the lift ...." :D I'll keep bumping them up until about the 40 mark, or until she doesn't overhang the board, whichever comes first.

Taking a lesson is a very good idea; I've not had one myself, but it is about time I did. When the time comes, mebby we'll take one together. If there is anyone who rides around the CT/VT/western MA area and wants to exchange a lesson for a lift pass and lunch, let me know. :)

Shelly's game for trying this stuff out on Sunday at Haystack. I'll let ya'll know how it goes!

I'm converting my girlfriend too. She's the newest boarder in my group of softie friends at 2 years, yet I've already got her digging trenches and muttering in disgust at rails in the park! (just kidding, that step is next)

My steps were: Raising her angles on freestyle board slowly up to 40/35.

Now, the second step will be to get her soft bindings onto a wide forgiving old freecarve board. I'm looking for one now, if any one has an old burton or oxygen (non asym) , interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Shelly and I spent last week at Sugarbush, and the conditions were warm and mashed potatoes down low, concrete up top.

Unfortunately, we did not get to try out her soft bindings on my alpine board; it would have required angles that her bindindgs wouldn't support, and she wasn't comfortable with (About 50-60 degrees, both feet, to avoid overhang.) That and the snow was rather soft for carving without booting out.

We did experiment with her angles, and each day she rode with steeper angles. The result: smoother edge to edge, more consistent and rounder turns. Not to mention there was a lot less strain on her knee riding the lift.

Naturally, each time she rides, she gets better too. It's no longer a question of 'if', but of 'when' she will carve. One thing Shelly did that helped considerably was to use Booster straps. They gave her more control and feel for her board, and more confidence. She is now asking for hardboots so she can have more direct control over her board.

Thanks for the offers for instruction! I'll have to take a raincheck for next season. With conditions getting as soft and mushy as they are, I'll probably spend the rest of the season on skis.

I was just up at Mammoth for a weekend of great carving conditions. My brother took out my Burton Alps yesterday with his OSin bindings and whatever boot that is that he rides with. He had a great time. I had him doing the norm and then starting to sink in deeper for a harder turn. When we got on the steeps he was really impressed by the edge hold of a carving board versus the worn out K2 Eldorado that I gave him about 3 or 4 seasons ago.

He wa intimidated at first when we set up his bindings at 45/45 but he got used to it pretty fast. Even though he had a lot of toe overhang he was o.k.. I think the snow being a little on the soft side helped him in this regard.

alan