Note to New Members ×

The struggle to carve in the Mid-Atlantic...

SWriverstone

Hi Everyone—Scott here. Some might remember me as an active BOL member a couple years ago (I was the one who kept everyone up-to-date on my girlfriend Holly when she had a bad hang gliding accident—she's doing fine now!).

Two seasons ago, I discovered carving and flipped out on it! I bought a season pass at our local Mid-Atlantic resort (Whitetail, in Mercersburg, PA) and got out 57 times!

Last season, I bought a season pass...and pretty much wasted my money. The conditions were a lot worse around here, and I only got out about 27 times. (Holly and I made it up to Okemo though, which was a blast!)

This season, I knew better than to buy another season pass...but so far, I've been on the slopes a grand total of TWICE. (Do you detect a pattern here?) It's not for lack of trying—it's been an absurdly warm winter in the Mid-Atlantic. The local resorts are hurting badly, and have barely been able to make any snow.

Whether you believe in global warming or not, there is no question that in the Mid-Atlantic, we don't have "winter" anymore (seriously). It's just autumn for six months, with temps in the 40s and 50s. Granted, we just got 1-2" of snow (first snowfall this season) and temps have been getting down into the 20s at night...but I don't expect it to last.

This has all been fairly depressing for Holly and I, and partly explains why we haven't been hanging around here lately!

I still think of myself as a carver, and still dream of getting several days on great snow...but right now, that's all I can do—dream. :( Some people around here try really hard to hype the Mid-Atlantic resorts...and I respect them for their efforts at good PR and positive attitudes...but I'm coming to the conclusion that living in the Greater DC area and trying to be a carver is an uphill battle. We just don't have the climate for it!

Holly and I wanted to get to SES this year, but can't get the time off (I'm making a job/career change). Maybe next year. We're hoping to get up to Vermont for a good 3- or 4-day weekend of riding. That would help me maintain my skills (such as they are) in hopes of a better season next year.

I'll try to stay tuned here on BOL...but in the meantime, please know we're still here in spirit...and are otherwise "casualties" of the warm winter in this part of the country!

Scott

I am in the same boat as you except for the fact that I have gone a total of ZERO times this year!!!!!! :angryfire:AR15firin:angryfire:AR15firin I am just waiting for a good week of cold before I go. With a third kid on the way VT is out this year and I have to pick my days carefully. But I pray everyday to the snowgods that they may blessed the mid-atlantic with two to three nor'easters before the end of February.

Scott,

Good to see you back. Glad Holly has recovered from that accident.

Did you happen to see this yesterday ?

http://www.worldofadventuresports.com/press_view.cfm?press_id=50

The Red Bull Vertigo 2006, the first Aerobatic World Championships for hang gliding and paragliding. Eighty pilots fly their aerial free flight programs in Villeneuve, Switzerland above Lake Leman while more than 50,000 spectators watch. Hang gliders reach speeds up to 85 mph and the incredible Spanish duo of brothers, Raul and Felix Rodriguez dazzle the crowd with their unbelievable paragliding maneuvers.

i'd amend to:

no climate for snowsports, no hills for serious carving. oh well, i tried rock cluimbing, may get into that.

re: whitetailc i wont be making any medium+ radius turns at whitail on any blues any weekend from now on, those that attempt to or can with no problems have my respect (see thread i started last night)

Scott,

Good to see you back. Glad Holly has recovered from that accident.

Did you happen to see this yesterday ?

http://www.worldofadventuresports.com/press_view.cfm?press_id=50

The Red Bull Vertigo 2006, the first Aerobatic World Championships for hang gliding and paragliding. Eighty pilots fly their aerial free flight programs in Villeneuve, Switzerland above Lake Leman while more than 50,000 spectators watch. Hang gliders reach speeds up to 85 mph and the incredible Spanish duo of brothers, Raul and Felix Rodriguez dazzle the crowd with their unbelievable paragliding maneuvers.

Hi Willywhit—yes! We know some folks who compete in the Aerobatic Worlds. I don't fly loops though—both Holly and I know pilots who are now dead from pushing the envelope too much (like those guys do)...when things go wrong, flying isn't forgiving. (But it's still cool to watch!)

Scott

Hi Everyone—Scott here. Some might remember me as an active BOL member a couple years ago (I was the one who kept everyone up-to-date on my girlfriend Holly when she had a bad hang gliding accident—she's doing fine now!).

Scott

So glad to hear Holly has recovered. I did follow and read the tirbulations she was going through.

Hope for some snow and carving for you.

Jerry

If you are willing to break out the rock board, it is not as bad as it could be. This is the worst winter I (and just about everyone else) have seen, but I have still been able to squeeze about 25 days out so far. Of course, that is just over half of what I would usually get by now.

To my amazement, I have been giving lessons non-stop whenever we have been open. No matter how bad the conditions have been, people have still been coming out for lessons.

Enough complaining, though. The snow could not be better. SRT is on the brink of being 100% open with all powder on packed powder conditions. :biggthump