Note to New Members ×

Oh My Achin' back!!!

dano

I finally got some limited riding in this season, but after riding, my back has been messed up for a few days after. It's ok if I stay standing or sitting but the transition from one to the other hurts like hell.

Anybuddy else have this happen? Any advice or treatment tricks?

OLD FART

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stretch. ice right away for a while, then alternate between ice and heat. Don't fold your nose and fly down the hill backwards and land on your back snapping your head to the ground... The basic stuff..

Also, back excersize. On a bench face down and hanging over at your waist, hook your feet under something and then lift your upper body.

Going through the same pile of horse s##t right now... Lack of exercise and office, paper-piling job it seems... Also, before going riding last saturday, i've been working 2 evenings in a crunched position... so first lift, I feel a little discomfort in my lower back, but I've ignored it and kept riding... dumb ass i was... :angryfire

I finally got some limited riding in this season, but after riding, my back has been messed up for a few days after. It's ok if I stay standing or sitting but the transition from one to the other hurts like hell.

Anybuddy else have this happen? Any advice or treatment tricks?

OLD FART

We call it weekend warrior syndrome:lol:

You likely have a misalignment/ subluxation that has been there a while. New vigorous activities tend to inflame the soft tissue in the IVF putting pressure on the nerve. We see a lot of these the first few weeks of the season coming in. It'll come and go unless you get it fixed. In the meantime use ice on the lower spine 15-20 minutes at a time. No heat on the spine no hot packs no hot tubs etc. it increases the swelling putting more pressure on the nerve. You feel great while the heat is on it but you will pay later. If you need a referral let me know where you are at and I will find you a good one.

Well there is the real problem and the near term problem.

The near term problem is your in a lot of pain and it hurts to: twist or bend over or etc....... So the solution to that has already been covered. Drugs, heat/cold, and stretching.

But the real problem is your weak. Well your muscles in your body are weak. And its not just your back. Its your stomach muscles and your side muscles and a whole bunch of little ones that are spread all around your central core/trunk. So you need to do exercises to strengthen all those muscles. This does not mean just doing some sit ups and back extensions. That just works a few major muscles and there are another 50 or so that need some exercise.

Look into doing some Core training, or ProBodX, or Pilates. Your going to have to work at it hard to overcome the problems, afterwhich your body will start healing the pain generators, and that might take some serious time.

Well there is the real problem and the near term problem.

The near term problem is your in a lot of pain and it hurts to: twist or bend over or etc....... So the solution to that has already been covered. Drugs, heat/cold, and stretching.

But the real problem is your weak. Well your muscles in your body are weak. And its not just your back. Its your stomach muscles and your side muscles and a whole bunch of little ones that are spread all around your central core/trunk. So you need to do exercises to strengthen all those muscles. This does not mean just doing some sit ups and back extensions. That just works a few major muscles and there are another 50 or so that need some exercise.

Look into doing some Core training, or ProBodX, or Pilates. Your going to have to work at it hard to overcome the problems, afterwhich your body will start healing the pain generators, and that might take some serious time.

that may or may not be true, he could have just not been warmed up properly. or it could be a combination. especially if it is a first occurance.

We call it weekend warrior syndrome:lol:

You likely have a misalignment/ subluxation that has been there a while. New vigorous activities tend to inflame the soft tissue in the IVF putting pressure on the nerve. We see a lot of these the first few weeks of the season coming in. It'll come and go unless you get it fixed. In the meantime use ice on the lower spine 15-20 minutes at a time. No heat on the spine no hot packs no hot tubs etc. it increases the swelling putting more pressure on the nerve. You feel great while the heat is on it but you will pay later. If you need a referral let me know where you are at and I will find you a good one.

Oh about a week back...

Thanks for the replies, all.

Dr D, Yeah, I'm an idiot paying later. I have only been using drugs and heat. I'll get on the ice program. Not hard to make in Boston as it's like 10 degrees out.

What do you mean by "getting it fixed?" Any cutting involved?

I would take a referall if you have a NE sawbones list. My HMO says "Oh it hurts when you do that?...."

What do you mean by "getting it fixed?" Any cutting involved?

You can start with a chiropractor, just make sure to divide whatever he tells you by a factor of 5 at least... If he suggest 3 treatments a week, take only 1 to begin with, etc...

And make these muscles work on regular basis with some tough basic exercises... Basic means no machines, only free weights and your own body weight...

Ya, I got that the first week of riding this season. Bad enough that I couldn't bend forward with my legs straight. I think it is getting worse every year, and I no longer think it's simply because I'm getting older - I think it's because I'm getting better and pulling way more g's the first day out after 7 months of sitting on my butt in the summer.

Lots of gentle stretching, and lots of lower back strengthening seems to be helping it out a little.

cartman syndrome-

that's why I ride with one of these -

Fox Kidney belt, keeps the lower back snug and warm.

Having a rather extensive weight-lifting background i'd avoid these at all cost... In short-term they are good, but in long-term you'd better train these muscles... Let the nature take care of things...

The ice pack worked wonders! No more heat for me.

I'm going to get one of those big balls to sit on for the office, may as well get paid for the PT. ( and they thought I was nutty before! )

I gotta strengthen my back for my trip out west next month, I want to get at least 3 days in.

You can now get three or four different ball chairs. these are basically a hoop with four wheels that the ball can sit in. it allows you to roll around like any other office chair. this is caled active sitting and I highly recomend it. I use three of them in my office and sit on nothing else. you will over time improve your balance and your core strength just by sitting on the ball. they also make several air filled cushions that accomplish the same thing for the folks who feel funny sitting on a beach ball at work. the small inner muscles of your spine that are for stability get a work out all day long and you become much less prone to injury as they get stronger. This is also a great lumbar rehab tool.

I'd say that rest, icing and a few drugs are good temporary relief, but ultimately, you need to, as someone earlier up said, strengthen your core.

This means primarily stomach muscles and lower back muscles, but also all round flexibility; bad hamstring flexibility and things like that can then translate into sore back.

I find Thai traditional massage ok, which is AFAIK a similar concept to a chiropractor, but not sure it can work miracles.

Massaging deep heat or similar and keeping the muscle warm is all good; but good muscle development and balance in stance is long term cure :_) Ball, pilates, stretching, boxing - all good for developing solid core.

I had this problem years ago from racing BMX..

I was "pinching" the cyatic (SP?) nerve. Bastard thing hurt like hell... puts you well and truly in bed unable to move.....

It's in the lower back either side of the spine (Where it hurts anyways.)

I found anti inflammatory meds to help... but how I stopped it was doing gentle situps... Or crunches.. Much lower.. a lot less stress on your back too...

Sorry to say but my doc said it to me... your back is as strong and your front..

Work those tummy muscles...!!!

Consider your riding position. If you ride out of alignment it may be causing unneeded strain in your back. Focus on riding strong in the core, and be mindfull not to twist into your heelside turn and not to break toward the nose of your board at the waist.

I actually felt the first back "twinge" when I was very upright on a heel side, slowing down for a gaggle of slow skiers. With a normal compact body position I was fine. I would have been better off if I just blasted on through the lolligaggers.

I've also been riding a wide freeride board and need to adjust my style to the low binding angles. I'm not facing anywhere near as forward as I usually do so I might be twisting to compensate and putting pressure on a weaker spot in my back...

I actually felt the first back "twinge" when I was very upright on a heel side, slowing down for a gaggle of slow skiers. With a normal compact body position I was fine. I would have been better off if I just blasted on through the lolligaggers.

I've also been riding a wide freeride board and need to adjust my style to the low binding angles. I'm not facing anywhere near as forward as I usually do so I might be twisting to compensate and putting pressure on a weaker spot in my back...

It's when your upright that the twisting will be doing the damage... Happens to 99% of us... after so many months not riding and all of the sudden you're working muscles you haven't used for a while....

I found if there is no swelling use heat... if there is swelling use ice..

Best see a doctor or Physiotherapist to see where the problem is...

Physio's helped mine so much it's ridiculous... I don't get pain anymore after I ride... even after a solid 10 days...

well unless I fall over and hit something.....:o

doctor/orthopedic/sportsmed guy. I had lower back pain and had difficulty lifting my left leg to get out of a car. Went to the orthopedic. He asked if I sat at a desk all day hunched over a computer. Well, yes. The PT gave me stretches and core exercises. Feel much better. Still have more to go. Too many years of being a desk jockey.

So, I would suggest a sports med ortho guy that likes to see active people.

db-rsb