Note to New Members ×

Snow Job?

John E

I notice that the weather in Denver has been getting a lot of national press lately - 3 big storms in 2 1/2 weeks, avalanche on Berthod Pass, etc. I think most people outside of Colorado assume that what happens in Denver is happening in the mountains. This year however, that's not so true.

We have had 3 large storms in the Denver area in the last 3 weeks. I've lived here 37 years and I don't recall any winter like this. However, at least the first 2 storms were "upslopes" where the moisture came mostly from the east & south. When the front encounters the foothills west of Denver it dumps its load. We've had about 45" of snow at our house (north of Denver) since December 20th. However, most of these storms don't get very far west before they peter out. The ski resorts haven't had such luck. The snow at the resorts this winter is probably average. I was at Loveland (the nearest ski area about 60 miles west of Denver - just east of the Continental Divide) the last 2 Saturdays and the snow was good - not great. As of Saturday morning, they were claiming 15.5" of snow in the previous 48 hours but the wind had been blowing pretty strong and it was pretty wind-packed.

I guess the east & other areas in the US are having no winter and if you're jealouse of Colorado or if you're planning a trip out here, my message is that it is an average year out here - not great.

How are things in Utah, California, Washington, British Columbia & the Canadian Rockies?

Yes, the front range did get dumped on with those storms. Each one brought only 12-18 inches to Aspen.

And another storm finished Friday brought another 17. Prior to that the snow was getting perfect for carving. Now it is just too soft! Was out at Buttermilk yesterday - great soft snow for skiing, just had to be a little cautious laying out an aggressive carve.

Coverage here is exceptional. But more is yet to come.

I carved on Hero Snow at Angel Fire yesterday here in New Mexico. They got a 6" dusting on Friday and the storm last week totaled 60" of fresh. Obviously that might be somewhat inflated but it was a huge dump regardless. The longest lift line I waited in yesterday was 2-3 minutes if that. On the backside we were riding straight up to the chair.

Most of the New Mexico resorts in the northern part of the state are sitting on 40-60" bases and are 75%-100% open. An amazing start to the season for us considering most resorts down here open between December 1st and December 15th. Closing dates are normally early to mid April.

On the other hand a awesome season in NM is about 200-250" for the season which is probablly average in CO? So in comparison to CO I'd say NM is having an average season as well...

Kicking Horse was open two weeks earlier than usual, covered in powder. According to someone we met at dinner on Sat, it was still primo last week.

Sunshine had its earliest opening ever for Delirium Dive and was 100% open for Xmas. I think it's snowed every day for a week up there.

Lake Louise was 100% open for Xmas as well, but the snow got a bit sketchy toward the end of Dec - it really needed the snow it just got.

Fernie has good snowfall, if a little packed and scraped off at Xmas, and I hear from people who were at Kimberley that it was awesome there.

I think Montana's doing pretty well, friends that were there last week liked it.

The only hill that seems to be suffering is Nakiska, the closest hill to Calgary. It's been a really mild winter in the city, but a different story in the mountains.

Whistler has record snowfall, but some of the locals would have a better idea of conditions thereabouts...

Prior to that the snow was getting perfect for carving. Now it is just too soft! Was out at Buttermilk yesterday - great soft snow for skiing, just had to be a little cautious laying out an aggressive carve.

Yea Todd, it needs to snow now while we are gone so when we come back at end of the month it's all down and we have nothing but sunshine in Feb. especially during the SES. :)

Mt Bachelor, Oregon is doing very well coverage wise- above average. But a lot of the storms have been warm, so surprisingly little in the way of powder days.

252" snowfall to date and a base depth of about 10 feet - IIRC, not quite on par with last year but when you compare to the 190" total snowfall season from 2 years ago, it's fantastic. (Yes, I know 190" is a lot in some places, not here. Rocks keep the best freeride runs closed until there is an 80" base)

In Tahoe, it's been reasonable carving, but very poor coverage.

This past weekend at Squaw it was just great carving (3 days post-storm) with pretty cold temps at the top, but the coverage is piss poor. Rocks I don't think I've ever seen before, even at the end of spring, weeds poking up all over the place, weird turnoffs you have to make because the normal run doesn't have enough snow on it, etc..

Over Christmas vacation there was a 1 foot powder day, but I got literally dozens of rock dings on the edges and countless base scratches. I seem to have magically avoided a full core shot, though.

I was at Loveland (the nearest ski area about 60 miles west of Denver - just east of the Continental Divide) the last 2 Saturdays and the snow was good - not great. As of Saturday morning, they were claiming 15.5" of snow in the previous 48 hours but the wind had been blowing pretty strong and it was pretty wind-packed./QUOTE]

What were you riding? There were a bunch of us over on 8 and 2, I was on my tanker (hit a rock, bent an edge) bright orange jacket occupying a large volume of space. D.t and I will be back up on sat, hopefully the next storm will dump and the winds will stay down.

mario

SoCal resorts rely mainly on man-made snow both for good and bad snowfall seasons. right now is about average. although it is pretty warm at normal city elevations. we're having highs of 80*F right now.

mammoth is really lagging behind. december of last year had 120+ inches. december of this year had 58".

supposedly this el nino junk is supposed to give us above average precipitation according to the national weather and climate service, but we have yet to experience that.

i'd say that without the snowblowers, we'd probably have no season right now...

36 inches in the last week here. It started early this year and just when it seemed to be slacking off to another mediocre year it started dumping. We are having rather mild weather in town and throughout the valley but the mtns around us are gettting hammered with snow. the powder was hip deep and then some this last weekend. Not much in the way of carving but with powder that deep no one is crying! advice---- bring your powder stick if you come to carve you might need it.:biggthump :biggthump

We have had some good powder days, but there hasn't been much in between. So far it has added up to an average year.

The base is at 54" now. I have a hard time considering the trees open until

65-70". Granted there are many people who are willing to get into the trees at 30", I'm just not one of them.

As for a job, a friend of mine runs the ski school and I think they are still looking for help. Bring your girlfriend and a padded savings account, should be a good time.

Big Mario -

I am a novice hard-booter so I was on my softboots on Saturday. I spent most of the morning on Lift #8 with a few runs in the PM on Lift #2. I still have the attitude that if there is soft snow to be had, I go for that. I get out my alpine board if there is no soft snow. Maybe another storm on the way later this week but its supposed to be cold (sub-zero). I'll look for you in the future.