Note to New Members ×

Gah.... this Eastcoast weather just plain SUCKS ASS !

Dave ESPI

TO ALL STAFF: FYI; Call or check the Jiminy peak website before you come this weekend to make sure the mountain is open. Probably will be open Saturday with limited trails, but iffy for Sunday and Monday. In any event, the mountain will be closing at 4:00 Saturday and Sunday. Next week's operations are reliant on the cooperation of mother nature at this time. More information to come as available.

- Boarderboss.

:AR15firin RAIN :angryfire and WARM WEATHER SUCKS !

gah... I 'll NEVER get out on my carve board if this crap keeps up.

Figures the year I spend a grand on my boards is the year I get "THE SHAFT".

I may just take that Colorado Vacation this year afterall.......

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live near Crotched Mtn -- have had 14 days since December but last night the cover was pretty much gone. Plus with the fog and rain visibility was practically zero. Looks like no more riding until later next week at the earliest and even then the base will be really thin.

I got my first alpine board this past summer (Volkl Cross 167) which has basically turned into a rock board after one month since the surface has been so light it's bee impossible to avoid damaging it. Oh well! May just have to get a new board for next winter!

MIchael

There's no place to ride!!! I had a bus trip schedueled for tomorrow to Pico Mountain. they cancelled it yesterday. Ive got 3 free passes to either Gore, Jiminy, or Bellayre and it looks like I wont be able to use them:angryfire

Same in Montreal guys... it is now 10 deg. celsius and it it still raining. Not even a trace of snow on the ground downtown Montreal...

I heard a few places had to close for the weekend. Those are pretty small hills, but in more than 20 years I ski/snowboard, this is the first time I see that !!

Let's cross our fingers and pray for a huuuuge storm ! :biggthump

better:cool:

I'm just hoping for the mountains to open again at this point... the local hill was open for 2 days this season. I bought a season pass there! I've been on my alpine 5 days this season, barely even enough time to get accustomed to the new width/sidecut/stiffness/angles :(

My local mountain in New jersey has been closed since last weekend. Be rest assured, cold weather will return this week to the east. At least that is what www.accuweather.com says. Most people have turned into weather junkies this year probing the weather websites in hope of any type of cold weather or snow. Those sites now say that this up coming week a cold front will set up over the north east and at least give us a fighting chance to make snow. Mother nature can be cruel some times.

I'm keeping myself occupied, despite the warm weather. I'm supposed to be picking up a Wrangler either later today or monday at the latest, so with the warm weather I can enjoy top-down freedom :biggthump . The mountains up north ha(d)ve snow on them, and I've already gotten my moneys worth out of my season pass. I want to go alot more, but I've gotten over the jonesin' for turns. I've been biking, rollerblading, longboarding, and waiting to get my jeep, so I haven't been thinking about it much. Today sucks really bad though, it's downright WARM out. 65 degrees at 9AM, and pouring. I think the calendars got moved.

It's 65 degrees at 8am at Wachusett Mountain!!! :mad::mad::mad: We are down to 2 trails open (from the lower summit only), with 1 of those trails closed for an attempt at a junior level ski race.

There was going to be a USASA GS tomorrow, but there is no way I see that happening. Even if it does, there is no way I'm going to bring out any of my race boards in this stuff.

This weather freaking blows. No wonder we are all cranky SOBs.

Ken - at any rate, thank you for the Wachusett report. I was considering coming down there to race tomorrow - not now. Our Sugarbush SL/GS today was cancelled, so I drove to Bromley (2 hours each way) at 4:30 this morning for a GS USASA SVSS director Scott P. said he was pretty confident they could get run, but Bromley closed the mountain. NHSS was supposed to run at Ragged tomorrow but I highly doubt it. Catskill series cancelled their GS/GS at Belleayre today too. I think I'm going to puke. Sixty (six - oh) degrees at the base of sugarbush right now. The rivers are running pretty good right now though - thinking about taking the kayak out of storage...I can't believe I just said that...somebody shoot me!! :barf:

Im training at Sugarbush this week staring monday and then on the weekend we are racing at Ascutney. Last year at Ascutney it rained on us and people were standing there with umbrellas....

I'm curious - training skiing? With GMVS? Snowboard gate training is practically, no, impossible to come by here. I train with GMVS (on my snowboards) off and on, in skier gates of course. We have USASA race next weekend at Whaleback, NH - Eaglebrook School, MA - Bromley, VT...I'm hoping an umbrella won't be necessary - I've had enough!

I'm renting a house in Sugarbush next weekend with a bunch of friends. Looks like we'll be cooking and drinking more than riding?

Whatever - I'm just here for the smiles. It would be nice to make some turns though.

I'll be away racing all weekend or I'd be happy to ride/guide with y'all. Sounds like there should at least be something to ride by then - we still have 23 trails open. Enjoy!

Surprisingly, conditions on some trails at Okemo were pretty good yesterday. I helped run a GS race for Sports Illustrated for Kids plus they held a Slopestyle event on Sels Choice. With the late Spring conditions (on January 6th, for crying out loud) there were plenty of runs that alternated between slush, dirt, and ice but on a number of others the snow was soft and I was able to hold a carve. Their morning snow report says the groomers worked all night and 51 trails are still open. I'll head out there in about an hour.

I just came back from some cycling. The roads and cycle path are spotless, except for some bits of fallen branches.

It's a perfect autumn day !! So, I'm not really disappointed, since I at least get to cycle in perfect autumn weather, which I love. We're finally getting the autumn we should have had a few months ago. :)

'later...

Little buggers have set up shop in our trombe (passive solar) wall. You can see em through the fiberlass, and the nest is still growing. A few stragglers stray into our house every day. Need a 15 deg night so I can bomb em.

01/14 forecast for Piedmont NC 77/43

Colorado meteorologist on NPR today says it's El Nino coinciding with North Atlantic Oscillation and historically low (and still diminishing) arctic ice/snow cover

Gonna be some great right coast board deals soon...

aaaagh

Barton that sucks. I'm a part timer this season. Lastyear I had 85 days of boarding... this year I have about 8.5 days.

It's a good thing I am not reliant on my income from boarding to get my by, because I'd be broke a s a joke right now !

Just a couple of years ago I was thinking of changing careers into the ski/snowboard industry. That was a close call. :)

'later...

GahI got up at 7 am this morning to go to the mountain, but got 7 miles there and my cell rang and they said not to come in, and enjoy the day off (Monday as well). No need to have another dead body standing on the hill for 6 hours staring at the empty lift chairs and listening to the snowmelt.

The 6 pack Berkshire express (BQE for short) didn't even service the top of the mountain today...... Only had 4 trails open and acessable by the slow assed double chair to the top of the (non existant) terrain park that was open as a trail only, and one of the 4 not even being the begiinner hill !

:lurk: Times like these when I wish I hadn't given up drinking .... LOL.