Note to New Members ×

Whistler?

big canuck

I'm heading to Whistler on the 19th and 20th of Dec. and need to know where on the mountain they most typically do the best job of grooming. I heard they just got dumped on and I know I can probably go hit up Prior for an all mountain board but any insight on where the "groomers" be would be appreciated! Thanks

I went there last February...that place is unbelievable! I brought my free-ride board with soft boot set up as well as my cateks oylmpics with my hard boots with the intentions to rent a WCR from Prior. Long story short, I never got out to Prior. I went straight above the tree line and never hit the groomers. Everything below the treeline is groomed for the most part. The groomers are great for riding plates. But I'm from New England...and it is no comparison. Blackcomb glacier and Whistlers' bowls (especially sun bowl) are just so much fun you won't even need your plate binding set up. Every time I got into the tree line, I ended up dropping into the glades. That trip was unbelievable. Those who reside out in British Columbia have a great treasure in their back yard. Good luck with your trip. No matter what you bring, you'll have a blast. John

I have a ladyfriend who lives in BC, and I am seriously considering going there in Feb or March. Whistler looks nice, but Blackmountain has the park and pipe fun with a 22 foot wall superpipe. I think I will be taking my floater and the rozzi 163 alpine carver if I go. I've never been there, so I just assume it would be a blast :)

bc, just about every run on the lower slopes is well groomed. Everything below Harmony and Emerald chairs on the Blackcomb side. Solar Coaster and Excellerator on the Whistler side. Also, the Seventh Heaven runs are usually good and if you keep traversing to the far runs, they get less and less crowded.

During my trips to Whistler, it's all about the crowds - avoiding them. I found the least crowded was the Horstman glacier runs and if you stick to the t-bars, you'll avoid the lineups. Of course, that t-bar in itself is a challenge especially on a snowboard.

BC-based guys should be chiming in but I'm guessing their all out enjoying the snow while we're washing the cars.

Oh, one last bit of advice. Go for the "First tracks" programme - get breakfast and access to the lifts a hour before the official opening for $15 or so. Well worth it.

Yeah it's me. I don't have a softboot setup. I was trying to get it organized but no luck. I have'nt ridden softboots in 15 years so I'd probably suck.

I talked with Ken Achenbach and he apparently bought some cat ski operation out there and said I can go for free if there's an open spot. I might be over my head there.

I'm going to take my 182 Tomahawk and a 168 Burton Speed "wide" and hopefully I can make it work. If not I'll try and make it down to Prior and see if they have a board they can let me Demo.

I know they have beer in the village too so I should be OK regardless.

Thanks for the input all. Take it easy Rob, hopefully we can go do some turns in the new year. (Say hi to the little lady)

C5:

Did you ride the Prior AWD in ungroomed bowls? How was it?

Wonderful. I rode my 179. I have a 174 but the 179 is the favorite up here. The Peak to Creak was untracked when we went thru - loved it then headed to the new Sympony chair and the Rhapsody Bowl

It also goes thru the skied out crap late in the day like a hot knife thru butter

How deep was the snow? No danger of stuffing the nose? I'm trying to make a decision on boards for Park City. Never ridden my Prior AWD in deep powder. Untracked new snow on top of groom, yes but not bottomless stuff. So I'm trying to gather input.

I can't really say -- I got into a flat spot and had to remove my rear foot and there was no bottom and I am 6'3". Had to go prone and push myself to harder spot. If the snow is tracked up I go with my Prior , if it is a grooomer day my Hot Blast is coming out.

How deep was the snow? No danger of stuffing the nose? I'm trying to make a decision on boards for Park City. Never ridden my Prior AWD in deep powder. Untracked new snow on top of groom, yes but not bottomless stuff. So I'm trying to gather input.

Henry, 4807 for deep ;) I've got 4WD 174 too, but its nothig like the 4807 in pow.

Weaseled out of work after 10 minutes of arrival hooked up with the night shift crew heading up to whistler,(quickly cancelled Cypress plans) bombed the 99 , up top by 1100 hrs rode to close, one word ,,,,,, POWDER

Once off the beaten path pooter everywhere, all the tourists on the new chair ( chair sucks them off the good stuff on peak/harmony)

Was tagging knee deep virgin in bounds at 1330 hrs, swwwweeeetttt. the rest about 10-15cms depending on wind etc

Gave the soft booters from work a schooling in HBs for powder and trees.

Big tab at the Longhorn after, gotta love the designated driver.

GFD

Dave*

Henry, 4807 for deep ;) I've got 4WD 174 too, but its nothig like the 4807 in pow.

I have not ridden a 4807 but today with the heavy snow overnigth - it was too much for my 179 4WD. I lost the battle today. I needed more float than I ever had needed in the past . My 171 Salomon may have done it better but it is home.

An as far the 7 in of new snow overnight-- they lied. It was much much more, over my knees in places.