Note to New Members ×

The FINAL Board-Bag Thread

ShortcutToMoncton

Alright. I know all you people are holding out on me here. Don't pretend that you don't all have killer board bags to put your huge monsters in!

My problem is that I can't find a single snowboard bag that's big enough to fit my 185cm Prior WCR. So, I've taken to hunting around for wheeled ski bags, but they're fairly hard to find as well, at least with enough protection that I'd trust putting it on a plane. So far, the Dakine Concourse ski bag goes up to 200cm and seems pretty good, but I figured I'd ask here first.

So. Let me have it. What do you people cover your babies with? Plastic? Something cheap? Swaddling cloth and a manger?

greg

you might want to check here

Indeed, but I don't see much in the way of "wheels" on that page....;)

I'm looking at the SporTube series 2. They're not cheap ($250 in Canada), but they seem like a pretty great way to stow a board. Unfortunately, they're also only 28cm wide at the waist. That means my alpine boards can fit, but I can't take my freeriding board. That pretty much means that going on an airplane trip with it is out – taking two board bags would cost way too much, and going somewhere without a freeride board would just be silly, no?

greg

Burton has heavily padded bags that go up to 185 -- the Wheelie Condo and Wheelie Locker I think. Big $$ though.

Summit Ski Bike and Snowboard in Whistler Village sells the Dakine Concourse Double 185cm for CAD$65. Bought one there a few weeks ago. Don't know if they will send in the mail, but it was a good deal.

I have an older (3-4 year maybe?) F2 bag that I bought from bomber. It's a slightly tight fit with my 185, but the advantage is that without the bindings on I can put all of my boards in one bag (to be lost or stolen all at once :nono: ). It's a nice bag too...well padded, has rollerblade wheels in the back so they're replaceable, carrying handles, the works more or less. The coolest thing is that at places that have bag checks, I'll stuff my boot bag and all of my friend's bags and stuff inside it and check it all as one bag!

Well it looks like I'm getting a RC Power 200cm ski bag. Anyone ever use/see one of these suckers? I had to order it without being able to see it, which made me nervous, but hopefully it's a decent bag.

I guess with skiis not being as long as they used to be, there's a lot less demand for longer bags. I phoned an amazing number of places around Canada, and very few had bags at the 190+cm range.

It's a problem that you don't think about when you're getting a longer board....:)

greg

Steep and Cheap had the Dakine bag on a while back. Although labelled as a 185, it fits 200 no problem. They only charged $US19 to ship to Canada, and that included all duty and brokerage charges. I'm not sure how they managed that, usually UPS ground screws you on brokerage charges. The bag itself was $40, what a steal.

I think a few people are using these...... You can get them in different widths. They go up to 210.

http://www.sportube.com/pages/skis_two_pair.html

I got one for my MtHood trip last year. E.g. Airplane flight from eastcoast to westcoast.

Went for the "#3", widest model, so I could get my 4807 in there. Your freeride may fit in there as well?

Really glad with the purchase. Only one complaint: A bit awkward/ time-consuming to pack. That said, it's really light as is -- a must for meeting airlines <50lbs.

To be honest though, the next time I go outwest I think I may just mail my board. $30 there and back may be well worth it.

I just assumed you could ducktape in some cardboard as an extender, duh. :ices_ange

Hum, wonder how airport security would like that lol.

Didn't think about Series3 being shorter than Series2. You could actually mate in two Series3s, but that would naturally be twice the cost.

Have you ever sent a board on an airplane in an unpadded bag? I'm going home for the holidays and was thinking about bringing my freeride board (mid-90's solomon 450) back, but only have a basic cordura boardbag. I was thinking of hotwaxing it and waiting until I got home to scrape it to protect the base, and maybe putting some clothes or something around it. Have you ever had a board snap taking it on a plane?

Steep and Cheap had the Dakine bag on a while back. Although labelled as a 185, it fits 200 no problem. They only charged $US19 to ship to Canada, and that included all duty and brokerage charges. I'm not sure how they managed that, usually UPS ground screws you on brokerage charges. The bag itself was $40, what a steal.

when in doubt, ship it. I just sent this board to BIG CANUCK in Calgary and packed it with styrofoam, bubble wrap and ALOT of packing tape.Cost $35 UPS Boston to Alberta.

If this bag comes up on SAC again for $40 bucks, I'd get another one.

post-123-14184222269_thumb.jpg

when in doubt, ship it. I just sent this board to BIG CANUCK in Calgary and packed it with styrofoam, bubble wrap and ALOT of packing tape.Cost $35 UPS Boston to Alberta.
Problem with UPS ground for us mere mortals is that it will now cost BIG CANUCK another $40 or more to get his board out of hock due to the stupid brokerage charges with the UPS ground service. But somehow, SAC avoids those and still keeps the service cheap.

ssssssshhhhhh, it was a "gift". He "gave" me his Coiler( and a sweet Bow Cycles shop shirt) and I returned the gesture.Can't you just feel the love here on Bomber ? :) :1luvu::ices_ange

speaking of bags.......just got this badboy for $20 bucks at Brockton Cycles the other day. It has wheels and a slide out handle. Fieldsheer is good stuff for a great deal. No big Moto Fox logo on the side but...$20 bucks. It's going under the tree.It's pretty jumbo...for $20 bucks(well, $21 with tax :rolleyes: ).http://www.brocktoncycle.com/eshopprod_cat_1137-9168_product_95862_keyword_fieldsheer.Motorcycle_gear_bags_Fieldshe.htm

I'm silly, I put bags inside my bags.

edit: I know it says $22.99 on the website. If you want one, just say your buddy got one in the store for $19.99 and they'll honor it. Just tryin' to hook you guys up. Lots of great deals at Brockton Cycles, check out the closeouts page.

post-123-141842222692_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

http://www.snowshack.com/detail/SNW+HL-01981_Sportube+Series+III+Snowboard+Hard+Case

looking at this.

Flying?

and

I need something I can secure while working at a resort for a week, and also still lug a few boards around with.

if I could put wheels and a handle on a cargo roof rack, I would, but I don't think it ships well on planes... LOL.

If this bag comes up on SAC again for $40 bucks, I'd get another one.

I have the same bag, most likely got it the same time you did on sac... great bag! Heck, last year we used it to ship Todd to the SES!

P2150210.jpg

Does anyone know if Art is still making board sleeves/bags under his Phunnybaggs.com web site? His web site seems to be down or done? Looks like a very nice product.

Link to the Bomber thread from last year:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16738&highlight=custom+board+bag

Link to Art's Profile;

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=120

Rob