Note to New Members ×

dehydration

ak_rider

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive also heard that dehydration can literally cause depression, major digestive issues, intestinal cramps...all stuff Ive been dealing with and I STILL cant form the habit of drinking water regularly.

after experiencing bonking, muscle cramps/spasms

I had to learn to drink regularly when I got into cycling. what finally got me in the habit was setting my watch to beep every ten min. and drinking then not when I felt thirsty. drink less more often and carry water with you always

am I missing something?

why did I just become a jibber?

find some good water and drink more

ARC, you mentioned "bonk" (meaning you ran out of gas). Perhaps you are unaware that our acrobatic brethren (jibbers) use the term "bonk" for a jump that taps an object (barrel, tree, snowgun, etc.) with the board and then proceeds to a landing.

ARC, you mentioned "bonk" (meaning you ran out of gas). Perhaps you are unaware that our acrobatic brethren (jibbers) use the term "bonk" for a jump that taps an object (barrel, tree, snowgun, etc.) with the board and then proceeds to a landing.

thanks for the clarification. not up on the lexicon of our brethren

I wash bottles nightly when I use them.

bottled water = waste of money. Like I said, its a known fact that a lot of it isnt even purified.

the worst part about reusing isn't the bacteria factor its the chemicals that offgas out of the plastic. your standard bottled water bottle should not be reused for this reason. the plastics used by say Nalgene are specifically designed to reduce this problem. standard water bottle plastic breaks down over time and offgases into the water. This process increases over time making reuse a bad idea. IF you doubt it, refill and leave for several days and then taste it!

this is a sorta scary thread.

so i have a bad habit of opening a bottled water and leaving it out overnight or putting it back in the fridge. is it ok to drink sometime the next day? the next week?

the article on coke is scary. i don't drink much at all, but this country is addicted to caffeine! my dad is a dentist and says it's horrible for your teeth, which i think most people know

The soda thing is epidemic and its more closely related to artificial sweeteners than caffeine. Yes that includes high fructose corn syrup! I highly recomend everyone read the new best seller from Dr Mercola. ITs called "Sweet Deception" fascinating study of artificial sweeteners and the problems they cause. You may find yourself in one of the chapters. HFCS makes you hungry and makes you crave more of it. Start watching labels you will find it in just about everything. I found it in unsweet tea the other day. the unsweet tea that is reconstituted from a syrup in beverage machines from coke or pepsi have High fructose corn syrup in them. crazy world:smashfrea

I heard that the offgassing reduced after time, making reusing a better bet than new!

hilarious

All plastics degrade over time especially upon exposure to UV radiation. Obviously breakdown varies but the more exposure to light the more breakdown. Thus older bottle higher risk.:biggthump

check the subject on mercola.com I know that most but not all of the bottles designed for hiking and camping are a much better deal(think NAlgene) ITs the type of plastic that is a problem. the bottles designed to be reused use a better grade of plastic. Mercola has done an extensive study on the subject so check there.

As for getting off of the Coke addiction:rolleyes:

I recomend you choose your battles so to speak. getting off of high fructose corn syrup is hard as it is in everything. so concentrate on that. don't worry about the caffeine to start with. Drink a little coffee brew some homemade ice tea etc. I personally beat the coke monkey by switching to unsweetened ice tea and then to water. be forewarned that unsweet ice tea from a fountain likely contains highfructose cornsyrup and is made from syrup base just like the soda. Other hazards of soda include bone loss as the acid in the drink actually causes calcium to leach out of your bones. We are facing a whole generation of teenage girls that are preosteoporitic due to the amounts of soda that they are drinking. not to mention the tooth decay etc. when calcium is pulled out of the bone it cannot be redeposited there so it is put into soft tissue areas instead or excreted causing stones in the kidneys etc.

All in all not the best stuff for you. Those of you who like energy drinks look at the ingredients. HFCS and other artificial sweeteners dominate most products. If you can find one with just sugar or fructose etc more power to you. they are hard to find and the diet or noncalorie ones are really misleading.

again everyone should read "Sweet Deception" New York Times bestseller.

everything you didn't really want to know about artificial sweeteners. Try putting nutrasweet out for the ants invading your kitchen it works wonders. they love it and they die must be ok for humans????

sorry getting up on the soap box a little to far.

in a way the saying "everything is bad for you!" is true. so for most people, it's about finding balance. i've noticed HFCS is in tons of things. occassional sodas- i could think of much worse things (smoking, totally unbalanced diets). Some jobs (shift work, demanding IT) just seem to cause guys to go crazy with soda. I knew of one guy who drank a liter a day- at least.

I think it's good to question some of the drs who write these books, too. i mean, a lot of people can write books these days. there are tons of "health / nutrional" books. i don't think most people need books to know if they're living a relatively healthy lifestyle (regular exercise, good diet, healthy weight, moderate alchol consumption, no smoking, etc).

personally, i'm a fan of broccoli (raw and cooked) and blueberries. it allows me to morally justify any crap i may eat. you know broccoli is "fighting the good fight" for your body! oh, and dark chcolate is good.

Broccoli according to my friend who's dad is a world famous cancer doctor person- causes cancer... but so does everything else. (Affirming above point)

If you guys are interested in the US culture regarding soda... you might want to keep an eye out on Redbull... more and more people are using it instead of coffee.. I've even started resorting to it when I can't get my Chai (which in Geneva is very difficult to do).

Everything is bad for you in strong enough doses. Everything does cause problems if used to excess. So moderation is a good policy. Vary your poisons day to day as it were! HFCS is a problem because it has addictive qualities it makes you crave more, upsetting your natural inclination to vary your diet. So in that sense it should be avoided as well.

Always question authority, another good point. I don't recomend books that aren't well researched or do not include source material that I can look up and make my own judgement on. Mercola's books are well researched and the sources are well documented. They are well worth the read. His website is also well documented and has over 50,000 pages of info. its a remarkable source of info.

you have to remember that when researches test the cancer-causing characteristics of foods/non foods, the tests are with high exposure. I am of the belief that absolutely anything except pure water probably at high enough exposure levels would cause cancer

ive never heard it stated that broccoli causes cancer, but Im guessing that if anyone were to take in refined, concentrated broccoli in huge doses it might cause cellular anomalies just like anything else might.

Because cancer was mentioned and I just wrote my genetics final this morning...

Technically, visible light will cause non-mutagenic DNA repair of UV damage, so if you get enough visible light you will prevent the carcinogenic effects of UV radiation.

Basically, it's arguable a sunburn treatment with visible (usually blue) light would be highly efficacious in preventing the deleterious effects such as melanoma and wrinkles/sagging.

Unfortunately, the ratio is something ridiculous....still doable, but...damn.

Redbull = overpriced. Redrage = exact same damn thing in the can, looks almost the same, costs <1/5. Not a good daily drink, but nice to have around.

i find that hard to believe. who exactly is this dr? does he recommend a diet of sweets?

I think you are mixing your posts. the broccoli thing was a shot at the fact that anything can be bad for you in large enough doses. As well as the fact that many of our veggies are loaded with chemical sprays pesticides etc.

the Sweet deception book is an expose on artificial sweeteners.

major thread drift happening here:ices_ange

Redbull = overpriced. Redrage = exact same damn thing in the can, looks almost the same, costs <1/5. Not a good daily drink, but nice to have around.

Funny, because Redbull comes from here in Thailand originally, where it is strictly for truck drivers and labourers to give them a hit of caffeine and sugar; the European version is carbonated, but that doesn't justify the price difference; we pay around 25c for a can of redbull; and what does it retail for in USA?!

Crazy.

If you are serious about most sports with any aspect of endurance, it doesn't take much to figure out that sugary junk drinks like gatorade (well, ok that one is alright afterwards), sprite, coke, redbull and so on do almost nothing for performance and instead tend to dry you out more and slow you down while giving you a nice spare tire.

D-Sub; take inspiration from your Pride and MMA heroes. They don't eat or drink for pleasure; they do it because their body needs it. Just try to force yourself to buy a big bottle every day, and drink in parts until it is finished every day. I wouldn't worry too much about the plastic and all that; compared to drinking coke or mountain dew you are already about 100X better off. Same for laying off the fast foods.

But hell...$2 for a bottle of water???! They are taking the pi$$ surely; it should be much cheaper than coke or similar; it sure seems hard to eat/drink healthily when all the basic foods end up costing more than their junk food equivalents.

Out of interest; who returns to the base lodge for, er, urine relief? I usually either find somewhere in the trees or somewhere off the runs. Is that what you lot do, or do you go to the bathroom?