Note to New Members ×

Self Serve Gas

C5 Golfer

i'm not possitive about OR but NJ passed the full serve law back in the day to protect the people who pumped gas-basically minimum wage job security, my guess is OR is similar. But there is a hidden danger in NJ, some of those mullets get really long and could potentially get caught in the nozzle.

I think the funniest thing is that gas is not more expensive in these full serve states than self serve is in other states. If i didnt have to pay more I wouyld sit in my car and let someone else do it, although this could just be the memories of sub zero alaskan temps speaking.

In Oregon, the owner/operator of the gas station gets the $500 fine. I'll let the pump jockey do his job if they beat me to the nozzle, otherwise I'll do it myself. Always brings them running to inform me of my misdeed, so I can tell them to move faster if they don't want to be fired.

Source: Oregon Revised Statute, Chapter 480, section 480.315 has the 17 stupid reasons why.

-jon-

aww shucks guess I'll have to burn veg in oregon and jersey... and every other state for that matter... I bet the same doesn't apply for diesel in those states... I just couldn't see a gas station attendant standing there for like an hour waiting for the 150gal tanks on a big-rig to fill up... and no trucker in his right mind would let him...

Guest scrubber

It is legal in Oregon to pump your own diesel at any station.

But I've only come across a few attendants that know that.

Every so often the whole issue ends up on a ballot, but obviously

gets defeated every time.

Source: Oregon Revised Statute, Chapter 480, section 480.315 has the 17 stupid reasons why.

-jon-

3) Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces;

Ok, so these people are charging damn near the same thing for gas but pay less in insurance because its not self serve. Ahh, the beauty of democracy. Equal oppurtunities for everyone. I'm starting to lose faith in the human race stuff like this is just ridiculous.