Note to New Members ×

Loon/WV Opening Days

Enzo

I am inquiring about my next chainsaw purchase. I have become quite the logging outfit, me and my crew even came up with a name. Westport River Logging & Trucking Co. Anyways to get to the point, I am I search of more powa, so I figured a GUY from Maine that has been doing this for a while might be a good GUY to ask. I currently have a MS 362 with an 18" bar and a 25" bar. My problem is when I put the 25" bar on the 362 it's gets robbed of its powa. I have to use this bar 40% of the time, and I want to buy a larger powa head for this bar. I cleared 2 acres that I put my house on, I'm in negotiations with a GUY that owns the 2 acres behind me, and I want to put a barn out back. If that deal happens I will be clearing basically the whole 2 acres, because the rest of the land abuts state forest. So I'm looking at 3-4 times the timber I ended up with when I sissy footed around my lot, trying to keep some trees in the landscape. Because I am a Stihl dealer, I get these things at cost, and I have the option to buy just the powa head. I was thinking between a MS460 or the 660. The 660 has 1 more hp than the 460, and 1.5 more hp than my 362. If I go with the 460 will the 1/2hp jump be enough to get some deep cutting done with the 25" bar? The 362 does turn it, but when the chain is sharp, I really have to feather the saw to keep the rpms up. I'm pretty sure I can handle the 660, it's a hair lighter than our concrete cutting chainsaws with about the same hp. Let me know GUY!

Edited by MR. JOHN DEERE !
Gfys

MJD!

For starters, you're giving me more credit in these matters than perhaps you should.

And I prefer Swedes to Germans.

But whatever.

I don't think you should put too much weight on the 362 hp rating v the 460. A 25" on that saw is Clown School, unless you change sprocket tooth count and/or reduce chain tooth count.

Maybe try a loop of skip on the 25?

The landclearing GUY (did I get that right?) for whom I do some mech work, relies on 68-72cc powerheads for anything the Super T, Wolverine, and Timberjack won't bite. A range of bar lengths, standard chain from what I recall. I don't know the tooth count on the sprockets.

If this two-acre job is mostly an excuse to own a man-sized saw, then get the 660.

After all, your chaw wad alone could give Ben Grimm a run for the money, but that's beside the point.

Do it. You know you want to.

Then get a gas card. And maybe some Icy Hot, a back belt, and a bottle of Advil/Tylenol/Opiate of your choice.

Perhaps a masseuse.

And a pack of Slim Jim's.

Can you borrow either saw from a friend/associate/area rep?

If not, I would set up both MS with the 25", then fling each around as though you were involved in a bar fight.

Bar, as in the PBR after a long day of Coilering.

Lest there be any confusion with Roll-o-matic E's.

Brap.

Brap.

Ringdingdingading-ding.

Imagine you have to run out the bucking tape and walk the beam while fending off that angry raptor and blipping the go-tab.

Then figure out, based on intuition, which saw will get you out the door and under the stars faster, with the least personal damage.

I would not like to be falling, limbing, and bucking with anything larger than necessary, unless time truly was of the essence, and the stumpage was oversized.

Finesse over power when outside the ROPS.

OR maybe just knock them all down with the excavator?

Run, Forest...

Funny GUY :lol:

So basically what your telling me to do is buy the 880, and just be done with the debate.

Also I figured you would be a stihl guy like myself, especially with your avatar of the stihl symbol for winter tree cutting. Not a big husky GUY, they are fuhhking embarrassing themselves in the cutting of concrete. Fhuck my fisher price tool set was made with the same plastic as 75% of their equipment. Concrete is hard, so you need to bring hard equipment to the dance to cut productively, OVA. I do like the 372 xp, my buddy has one, the thing rips!!!!

GFYs

So basically what your telling me to do is buy the 880, and just be done with the debate.

If, and only if, there is some question as to your chromosomal content.

Speaking in generalities, if you are slaying this lot entirely by hand, you want a tool that becomes 'transparent' and compliments your movements, rather than dictating a new set.

Safer, and easier on the body.

When bucking large, the weight matters only in between cuts, and simple speed is paramount, so I'll use the 371xp w/20.

When swamping, falling and limbing, the weight and reach and p-head dimension matter more, so I'll use the 357xp w/18.

192T for bucket/pruning work.

The Avatar is used, to some extent, in hipsterish fashion.

Which is to say, ironically.

Next flagon of chamomile is on me.

• 2 weeks later...

T32 midterm $hit list:

Beverly Hills 90210: Demerit, olive puff. also wearing that same olive puff while a fellow comrade freezes his balls off in an extra medium wind breaker. 1 beer to his name. -150 points.

Bucyrus: Demerit, kakki snow pants ?? don't you wear carvhards and a dickies red and black flannel to the mountain, but yet kakki's on the hill ?? then back into the buffalo plaid on you hemi powered ride home ?? 0-1 beer to his name. -100 points.

GUYFATHA: demerit, pumpkin pants/borderline salmon. 0-1 beers to his name. USASA opening day absentee, then blames the TEAM. -150 points.

CHAINSAW: Demerit, puff with a fuhr hood, still the most dangerous object on the mountain -50 points.

Petee: Demerit, -1000 points not sure where to begin.

GFLIGS: Demerit, sear sucker snow pants, champagne colored corduroy snow pants, big bird snow pants, SACK up and buy a pair of jeans !!!! -150 points.

BD6: Demerit, major wardrobe violations, major tinkering violations, but has completely redeemed himself in the PBR with 12-15 beers down the hatch, +1 points.

Lynn MacMittens: Demerit, mittens, shopping in the womans section when buying snowboard boots. -50 points

GFYS

Lynn has low blood circulation

Swartzy was the man at the race, he has been working hard for a couple of years and you can see it in his riding. I plead guilty to the olive puff but -150 points WTF. If that is the case, then fake soccer mom jean snow pants must be in the -200pts per day. Bucyrus is in the running for the tinkerbell award, showing up 1/1/13 with a new SG slalom, Boiler Plate and Full Tilts. Just think of the hours of carpet carving that went into dialing in that setup. The GUYFATHA (aka the Chuck Norris of alpine snowboarding) can wear anything he wants skinny jeans or salmon colored snowpants; he kicks ass every day he rides.

Beverly Hills 90210,

For the record I did dock myself the -200 points for the soccer mom jeans, HOWEVA I then regained points with the overwhelming beer consumption lead I amounted during the last quarter of the PATS/Jacksonville game. ALSO for the record we both know theres only a couple of REAL A$$holes that can pull those denim nut huggers off, and I'm one of em. If you tried rockin those you would have them pegged and pleated !!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness we should all be ashamed of ourselves with our behavior the last couple seasons. Its like we belong on TWV90210. All its takes is one sun bathing pre madonna to show up and start complaining about the grooming and the cold, Then all hell breaks loose.

GFYS

Swartzy was the man at the race, he has been working hard for a couple of years and you can see it in his riding. I plead guilty to the olive puff but -150 points WTF. If that is the case, then fake soccer mom jean snow pants must be in the -200pts per day. Bucyrus is in the running for the tinkerbell award, showing up 1/1/13 with a new SG slalom, Boiler Plate and Full Tilts. Just think of the hours of carpet carving that went into dialing in that setup. The GUYFATHA (aka the Chuck Norris of alpine snowboarding) can wear anything he wants skinny jeans or salmon colored snowpants; he kicks ass every day he rides.