Note to New Members ×

Loon/WV Opening Days

Enzo

Just thought I'd pass this along. With all of the rain and warm weather we've had, Waterville has bumped their opening day from Sat, Nov 18th to Nov 23 (Thanksgiving Day). Loon is still scheduled to open on Wed, Nov 22. Dates are weather permitting of course. The cold weather over the past two weeks was such a tease.

opening day consisted of the High Country double (upload on quad, cycle high country until bored, download on quad).

If you plan to go, check trail coverage in advance.

Thats how it was the one time I went on opening day also. That was 2 years ago. I was expecting conditions to suck the big one, but not that bad. I planned for 'taters and ended up with boiler plate. I think the snowmaking crew just hosed down the slopes with water instead of blowing snow.

opening day consisted of the High Country double (upload on quad, cycle high country until bored, download on quad).

If you plan to go, check trail coverage in advance.

That's how it almost always is. High Country is painfully slow (is it from the 1960's?) and the trail is too short with just 500ft of vertical. One year during opening weekend, WVA had both their SL and GS courses set up on HC. There was only a tiny sliver maybe 15 yards wide of "public" space available. It was so crowded and dangerous. If you veered off trail to avoid someone you risked hitting snowmaking equipment, rocks, grass, or getting stuck in mud.

I won't complain too much though. If I can spend a couple hours on snow next week, I'll have the biggest smile on my face and be totally content.

Absolutely! A bad day sliding beats a good day in the office every time.

I just didn't want anyone to set off on a 2 hour plus drive expecting more.

So true. Especially when they'll probably charge $30-40+ for a lift ticket. :nono:

Just read that Loon pushed their opening date to Friday, 11/24 & Waterville is opening on Sat, 11/25.

Loon--Dec 8th

WV--Dec 2nd

BW is open.

Temps today (Wed) are in the 40's-50's up here, Thurs 60's, Fri 50's and rain. At night it's not even cold enough to blow snow. Looks like winter finally arrives on Sat with temps dropping to the 30's.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent Sat & Sun morning at Loon. Here's what was basically open: Upper Picks and Flying Fox from the top of the gondola, Sunset from the North Peak, and Lower Picks from the West Basin Quad. Conditions varied from PP, LSGR, FRZGR, & ICE depending on where you were on the trail. Coverage was good for early December.

By 10am on Sat the trails were obnoxiously crowded. Grand Junction where everything merged was like a July day on Hampton Beach. It was almost unpassable--there were bodies literally everywhere!!! Sunday wasn't as crowded as Sat, but there were still plenty of 14 yr old jibbers straightlining runs. On a wide open, uncrowded section of a trail I was almost taken out by one while on a toe side. Luckily I looked uphill just in the nick of time to put the brakes on & avoid him.

A ski patroller told me that on Sat 1800 people showed up to ski on essentially two trails. Get this--they sold only 25 lift tickets!!! Everyone has a Threedom pass now so there's no way to limit ticket sales to control crowds. Anyone want to trade a Threedom Pass for a Cannon Pass? :smashfrea

Anyone want to trade a Threedom Pass for a Cannon Pass? :smashfrea

God no. After last season's ****tyness at the threedom mountains, I vowed never to buy one again. This year, as a matter of fact, I nabbed a cannon pass! :biggthump That's EXACTLY what I hated so much about the threedom mountains; they can't control the crowds at all, much less that the crowds are made up of straightlining jibbers all the time. No thank you loon. It's a shame that my friend's condo is in Lincoln, because it was about 3 minutes from loon. Oh well...15 minutes to cannon isn't bad either. I'm going to stop talking about cannon before people remember it's there and start going there ;) .

It's too bad that you couldn't take off on last friday (12/8) at cannon, it was great, if you could deal with the bitter bitter cold and slight crowding. Free powder day, but in traditional Cannon fashion, all the powder blew off the mountain by 10:30 and it was icy again :biggthump:confused: . Man I love that mountain.

• Like 1

hoss, things never change eh???? you riding this weekend or next? Let's grab some turns...

Let's all get on the same page next year, I'm down with Cannon - who knows what this Loon sale will do. Jen's already jonesing for some turns, and would dig the educator's pass... she's out this year, baby on board.

I spent Sat & Sun morning at Loon. Here's what was basically open: Upper Picks and Flying Fox from the top of the gondola, Sunset from the North Peak, and Lower Picks from the West Basin Quad. Conditions varied from PP, LSGR, FRZGR, & ICE depending on where you were on the trail. Coverage was good for early December.

By 10am on Sat the trails were obnoxiously crowded. Grand Junction where everything merged was like a July day on Hampton Beach. It was almost unpassable--there were bodies literally everywhere!!! Sunday wasn't as crowded as Sat, but there were still plenty of 14 yr old jibbers straightlining runs. On a wide open, uncrowded section of a trail I was almost taken out by one while on a toe side. Luckily I looked uphill just in the nick of time to put the brakes on & avoid him.

A ski patroller told me that on Sat 1800 people showed up to ski on essentially two trails. Get this--they sold only 25 lift tickets!!! Everyone has a Threedom pass now so there's no way to limit ticket sales to control crowds. Anyone want to trade a Threedom Pass for a Cannon Pass? :smashfrea

hoss, things never change eh???? you riding this weekend or next? Let's grab some turns...

Let's all get on the same page next year, I'm down with Cannon - who knows what this Loon sale will do. Jen's already jonesing for some turns, and would dig the educator's pass... she's out this year, baby on board.

hey guy--Congrats!! I'm buying next time at the Bunyan Room. did you get a pass this year? I rode with joec last saturday. Conditions will probably blow, but I'll be at Loon this sat/sun morning.

guy you around this weekend... Team 32 is in shambles right now. let's pull 'er together

thinking about a 1/2 day sat or sun and tuesdee

been wonderin' what happened to you flatlandahs?? I'm heading up tomorrow for some runs. Skipping Sat.--RAIN :barf: I might be able to sneak out of the house for Sunday AM. Then I'm off to Arizona for the week. let me know if you'll be up on Sun.

guy just cause we lose camp director peta, doesn't meam were going down. hell in the off season i picked up two more guys. and they smoke BUTTS! were loaded like the 1993-4 U maine black bears hockey team.

coming back for the 2007 season is :guy father, dth wisdom, mojo, enzo, rejean ayotte, big duke six. duffy, haven't hurd anything? dth jessie? part time pete, hes gonna need to get out of his castle once in a while to have a pounda and a rod. and of coarse last years hero's highway champion jason jaque ayotte! plus a couple new comers coming in of the range with the big iron on his hip rusty smith. and possibly some guest apperances by non other that cmc. so were loaded for beer, GUY! :AR15firin

guy it's all smack, :argue: the leader has fallen. the "captain" guy father is mia, no emails, no team meeting, i even heard the team picture was him and jd's ****zsu. i guess he even dry land trained on his mtn bike, what happened to bud diet curls and heater stick flys?

catch you tomorrow.

"dodge makes it, cummins shakes it"