Note to New Members ×

Proton 185 VS Factory Prime 185

DiveBomber

easier to turn, not cap construction has 3d inserts not 4x4

that said, of the protons I think the 185 is the best one but I don't like any of them alot

the burton stuff is alright but not much better than O2, why not get a F2 or a Donek?

Divebomber,

If you are trying to compare the CUSTOM 185 listed in the classifieds there is no comparision. The board for sale is a CUSTOM TEAM BOARD it out rides every thing stock, You would have to spend 1000's of dollars to get a board similiar to matts TEAM RACE STOCK.

I beleive most will think you are reffering to a store bought 185.

You need to be a burton team pro to have one of these made for you.

Burton team boards are the best alpine boards Burton ever made. And you could never go just Buy one, Let alone to compare it to a crappy stock stick.

It has a 15m radius well most do but burton never tells riders the radius because it changes and can be progresive.

Thats why Matt is not sure.

If you think you can out ride any stock GS board out their Go for the Burton.

If you want a soft flexing GS shaped turn but with a free ride feel go stock.

If you cant handle a GS board, the Burton WILL send you for a ride

ohh hell, they're on par with anything anyone makes except maybe some of the metal boards but I've yet to get on a metal board so I can't compare

gotta mention it was a team board, changes things, I've been on a couple team boards, hot stuff

it would eat a stock proton for lunch

too bad it's so wide or I'd be on it in a second

burton 185s were around 14 and some change, the team boards I have seen are usually very similar in shape with some exceptions to width

built up on the inside, where it counts

I hear you on wanting a longer radius, look for a Burner 197, madd 180 and a stock coiler PR 188 for longer tunring boards

the Madd is cool because it's short but still can stay stable when opened up due to shallow sidecut

I guess I should weigh in on this too. I've ridden a stock 185 FP. I'm the former owner of a black top one with the chrome lettering. It had a 195mm waist, a little wide for my taste. It's true what Bordy and Bob say, there is no comparison between a mass produced 185 and a race stock FP. The blue one in the pic below is the best snowboard I have ever ridden in my life so far. The flex and sidecut work well with my weight and riding style. I haven't ridden the red one yet, only got it about six weeks ago. The SCR on both of these boards is 15.48, the same as the public model. The blue one has a wider nose by 2mm, and the red one has a wider tail by 2mm. Waist width on both is 178mm. They are both very stiff and unfortunately, not for sale.

I have no doubt however, that if I went to Chris Prior or Bruce at coiler (and donek too, but I'd buy on my side of the border first) and showed these boards to them, they could build me one that was very close, if not better, in performance and feel. So I'm not worried about replacing them which is inevitable. One board I would like to get is a yellow top FP 196 SG board. I know they exist, but I've never seen one in person.

primes.jpg

But the one matt has forsale he says is a 210 waist.... so its not the same board as you show then right??

Both the race team boards that I have are pretty old. About 10+ years to be exact. GS boards have gone through a widening trend since then, probably to do with the adoption of the PGS format. The boards that Matt is selling are burton race stock boards, they are much newer and..........wider than mine. I won't be fighting it out to get one of them though. I don't think they would "flick" between turns the way I like. Maybe a bit heavy too?

later,

Dave R.

Mike Jacoby has one and he can bend that think like you could never believe. :eek:

Still has at least one (Klugs Race Stock) , rips it in / on anything.

Nothing like going for a ride with a guy like Mike. Next thing you know we are in Heather Canyon steeps with a foot of mong , he on his Burton Race stock me on a 203cm Tinkler. Not something I would recommend, but a blast none the less.

I still recall flexing one of his factory "Hot" boards up at T-Line in the summer. Well, not really, it did not flex! :freak3:

Nice, you have another one too don't you? Sweet!

Dave, perhaps you would like to sell them cheap to the ski guy that wants to make powder skis out of them? After all they are just a couple old Burtons

I "only" have the two, oldsnow, wish I had more though.

Yeah maybe your right, It's been a while since I was charitable. But I think I'll wait for you to set the example by starting the "two virus giveaway" sponsored in full by........www.oldsnowboards.com, and your friends at........www.finelineclub.com.

that's good for chuckle or two between friends huh?

come to think of it, I know a few people that could participate in a virus giveaway, if you know what I mean. You see, there's this guy I work with....................

ha-ha,

later,

Dave R.

I "only" have the two, oldsnow, wish I had more though.

Yeah maybe your right, It's been a while since I was charitable. But I think I'll wait for you to set the example by starting the "two virus giveaway" sponsored in full by........www.oldsnowboards.com, and your friends at........www.finelineclub.com.

that's good for chuckle or two between friends huh?

come to think of it, I know a few people that could participate in a virus giveaway, if you know what I mean. You see, there's this guy I work with....................

ha-ha,

later,

Dave R.

You got me!!

I would be happy to make you "Such a DEAL".

I will likely relist a few high end boards once the snow comes.

When was your photo with Mike taken? That is probably the FP I mentioned. I bet you loved the fact he was on Race Plates too!!!

Its a custom shape team board think about it.

Sorry to have fun in your thread. :eek:

Chomp don't want no help, Chomp don't get the help!

"Florance Henderson; Airplane"

Yeah Um... that's "Chump"

Well Im starting to want a 185 FP, but could he be right, that the Waist width is 210?? Dont know if i want it that wide.

ANyone else have a 185 forsale??