Note to New Members ×

balance boards

Cindy Kleh

Guest Johnny B

Wow, those Indo Boards are expensive. I'm sure they are very nice, but if you are a cheapo like me--in my defense, I am a student now--you might consider making your own.

I made one with an old board that I found (which I sanded and painted down), some PVP pipe, and friction tape. Here is a site that describes the same idea:

http://www.xshelton.com/balance_board/

Can anybody tell me what would be the advantage of an Indo Board or the like over a homemade model?

Good luck -

Johnny

You can build your own. Lonerider did it.

The Extreme Balance board is interesting because you need to balance both fore/aft as well as side/side. It also has little round supports you can remove to make it even more challenging fore/aft - once you master it in its basic form.

The ones with round/rolling rocker under them are a bit more dynamic than the Extreme. In other words, you can move more if you want. Both are great exercise and great training, but the vew-do and others can be a bit more aerobic if you want them to.

What are the actual advantages of Vew Doos, Extreme Balance Boards and Indo boards? What makes them better/worse/different?

The indo does not have the spine running down the centerline of the board like the vew doo. With indo, you're not limited to just rocking the length of the board. If you align the indo so that the centerline of the board is almost parallel or slight angle to the roller, the side to side motion feels like you're cruising on powder. Since there are no stops on the edge of the board you're limited to small side to side movements. Go too far and you'll kick out the roller.

I don't have an indo. I only know this from experimenting with 4" pvc pipe and some boards I had laying around.

Will you become the king of technical carving if you get one?? probably not but it will help you to strengthen muscles that you will need when you ride. Balance and stability or secondary muscles you dont use in day to day life. And it just fun to challenge your self with it or laugh at your friends when think its easy and get ejected on the arses :lol:

Just for curiosity's sake, what would be any benefit of buying a balance board for big bucks vs. balancing on a piece of wood and a basketball or baseball or soccerball or ____ball? Just wondering because it seems...too easy to just stand on a roller and a board? Maybe Im not doing it right? What ARE you supposed to do anyway?