Note to New Members ×

Nidecker Proto

sleevez

Had/Rode one about 10 years ago, high class materials (carbon) where in it that days. So this board was its time ahead then. Board didn't change that much. If you are over 75 kgs don't take it. If you want one take the longest one. It's also suited for ladycarvers (for the lighter people). Friendly, not hard too ride, the board is very flexy, torsional stiffness is good. I had a lot of fun on it the first years when I learned carving. You can smash it in a turn and be confident on it, that's what I remember. It's a good allrounder, with reliable carvingcharacteristics. At that time I found the price too high for this board considering other brands have also good boards for less. But the looks of this board where nice then, so I bought it. I had Nidecker hardbindings on it where the frontclip closed with a springmechanism. Had my fingers under it once, auch!!

Greets, Hans.

The Carve Father, AKA Ronnie Knuckles rode one all of last season. He Ripped on it and preferred it over his Prior custom. We were in the Butte and he rode it every day. It died when he ripped the edge out on a rock and it De-lamed.

He was trying to get more and was supposed to get me a 67. Based on the many days I saw him ride it I would say they have a fairly soft flex tip to tail compared to what we ride but torsional stiffness was supreme. It seemed Very versatile.

A casual observation, it appears to have some similarities with the Pureboarding's "Black Beauty" perhaps? Both look like they would serve well in the All Mountain Carving / Boardercross Catagory?

FYI. I only have one left. It is out of the plastic, it is brand new never ridden, never mounted. Only taken out of the plastic for the photos. It has a couple of very small, ver fine scratches on the top sheet. 500$ including Priority Mail Shipping here in the US. Will go up 25$ as we near the season.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got back from a trip to Colorado and saw two of these Protos (167's) still in the plastic. The store was All Board Sports in Boulder off of 30th St. The sticker was asking $750 (I think). It looked like a real high quality board with very high tech materials. Also a very cool shop with ALOT of high end alpine gear.

They also had a "Proto 167" that was much narrower and looked more like a race board. Is this an older model of the Proto? The Nidecker Site only shows the two wider boards I mentioned above.

I just got back from a trip to Colorado and saw two of these Protos (167's) still in the plastic. The store was All Board Sports in Boulder off of 30th St. The sticker was asking $750 (I think). It looked like a real high quality board with very high tech materials. Also a very cool shop with ALOT of high end alpine gear.

They also had a "Proto 167" that was much narrower and looked more like a race board. Is this an older model of the Proto? The Nidecker Site only shows the two wider boards I mentioned above.

Uh well.......... uh nevermind.

Proto

The proto has undergone two changes since 10 years ago but most of what Hans said are still valid. Nidecker tried to kill it last season but we were successful in changing their minds.

The new proto is clearly stiffer than the the old one but it is still the all mountain carving machine; call it the all terrain vehicle, carving groomers, riding bumps, some powder. It is not a race board so hard riding is not adviced.

Bola

www.allboardssports.com

Nice stoke on the shop Bola.