Note to New Members ×

RIP Croc Hunter

LeeW

"Crikey !" Irwin's death was likely only the third recorded fatal stingray attack in Australia, experts said. They said stingray venom was agonizingly painful but not lethal, although the barb was capable of causing horrific injuries like a knife or bayonet.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom ? I don't remember Marlin ever getting out of the jeep.

RIP Irwin, only 44 with a wife and 2 kids...that sucks.

post-123-141842219187_thumb.jpg

Stingray venom generally isn't lethal, unless it gets you in the chest or neck. Poor Irwin caught a bad break and got stingray knifed in the chest. The venom is designed to cause paralysis to the tissue it is injected into and the surrounding area, hence the dead arm/leg whatever symptoms of jellyfish/stingray victims. Surrouding tissue in the chest is... :eek: Which is why if you're diving for stingrays you wear armor. Im not gonna badmouth Irwin here because he opened alot of people's eyes to the wonders of nature and the importance of preserving it, but he really should have been more careful.

________

DRUG TESTING KIT

Irwin's public persona was that of a genuinely good man, a dying breed. That alone saddens me. Add the family aspect and it really, really hits hard.

at least they will be financially secure. Im sure they'd trade money for him any day, but it definitely helps.

RIP Steve Irwin. Say "hello fella" to Avalanche for me wouldya?

It's always very sad when a dad with little kids dies-doubly sad because with the "intimacy" of TV, most feel they know him...

Venom or not, a stab wound to the heart is routinely fatal-unless a quick thinking emergency worker "plugs the hole" with a finger...most people are adverse to sticking their fingers into bleeding gaping wounds though....

The conservationist movement lost a great spokesman, he let people know that mosts crocs, etc, are fine if you just leave 'em ALONE

Sounds like a total freak accident, just a routine dive that tourists to Australia would do every day. Just goes to show, when your number's up ...

Sydney Morning Herald :

The underwater video footage of Steve Irwin's death after he was speared in the chest by a stingray was "shocking", his manager reportedly said today.

John Stainton told reporters the footage, which he had handed to police, was the worst thing he had ever seen, Sydney's 2GB radio reported this morning.

"I have seen the footage and it's shocking," Mr Stainton said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're watching somebody die and it's terrible."

Friends believe Irwin may have died instantly when struck by a stingray as he filmed a sequence for his eight-year-old daughter Bindi's new TV series.

Irwin's friend of 20 years, Ferre De Deyne said Irwin had been struck by the stingray while filming. "The stingray just happened to be swimming around and out of the blue whacked his tail at him," he said.

"It is absolutely tragic. I have dived so many times with stingrays and they are usually very placid things," he said.

Guest scrubber
if you're diving for stingrays you wear armor. Im not gonna badmouth Irwin here because he opened alot of people's eyes to the wonders of nature and the importance of preserving it, but he really should have been more careful.

mmmm, I dive with them often, and they're as gentle as a housecat.

I can't imagine wearing some sort of armor when diving around them.

What a loss.

post-555-141842219192_thumb.jpg

Jack, that interview they play makes me laugh out loud! For those who don't know it was about the time Steve took his infant child into the Croc tank with him. Lauer kept trying to get Steve to feel guilty or admit some type of regret and Steve (in nice terms) kept telling him to shove it and mind his own business. At the end Lauer made one last attempt and asked Steve:

Matt: if you could live that day over, what would you do?

Steve: Well, if I had the chance to live that day over I would definitely go surfing.

That was one cool guy. People who try to force you to feel quilt or insist you should feel guilt when you don't, really grind my gears.

Rest in peace croc hunter.....

My kids loved his show and its a sad loss, but I always wondered when it would happen that one of these hosts would become severly injured or die taping an "adventure animal show." What impact do you think this will have have on similar programs shown Discovery and Animal Planet? At least he went out doing what he loved. :ices_ange

Stingray venom generally isn't lethal, unless it gets you in the chest or neck. Poor Irwin caught a bad break and got stingray knifed in the chest. The venom is designed to cause paralysis to the tissue it is injected into and the surrounding area, hence the dead arm/leg whatever symptoms of jellyfish/stingray victims. Surrouding tissue in the chest is... :eek: Which is why if you're diving for stingrays you wear armor. Im not gonna badmouth Irwin here because he opened alot of people's eyes to the wonders of nature and the importance of preserving it, but he really should have been more careful.

Ever been to or heard of Stingray City off the Cayman Islands? I was there in March and there were hundreds of people wading on the sandbar with dozens of stingrays swimming around. People were feeding them, petting them and kissing them. Little kids were trying to grab them as they swam by. No armour to speak of.

Curiously, the guides never mentioned that they may be lethal.

That's us defying death.

stingray.jpg

It's a different species of stingray.

The southern stingrays at stingray city are known

to be very docile, and have grown used to being

around humans. I've only heard of one person

getting 'nailed' at stingray city--a dive guide who

stepped on one.

I wonder what would have happened had Irwin left the barb

in his chest. Seems like the rule when you are impaled

with something is to leave it in.

post-1039-141842219195_thumb.jpg

It's a different species of stingray.

The southern stingrays at stingray city are known

to be very docile, and have grown used to being

around humans. I've only heard of one person

getting 'nailed' at stingray city--a dive guide who

stepped on one.

I wonder what would have happened had Irwin left the barb

in his chest. Seems like the rule when you are impaled

with something is to leave it in.

I figured that but aren't the barbs deployed through reflex rather than any intentional movement? That would mean, docile or not, if the stingray is stepped on or grabbed in an the wrong way, it could stick you.

I'm guessing Irwin wasn't thinking too clearly when he pulled the barb out.

Steve was swimming over the ray, videoing it....and, unfortunately, mimicking a hammerhead shark, a big predator for rays...he probably just startled it...and whammo...you get ray defensive manuevers...

and, yes, you should leave the barb in-he pulled it out and tamponaded.The story from the scene was classic..

Tamponade=blood fills the pericardial sac and functionally prevents cardiac filling, and cadiac output....

mmmm, I dive with them often, and they're as gentle as a housecat.

I can't imagine wearing some sort of armor when diving around them.

What a loss.

Touche. I was getting confuzzled. For some reason while I was typing I got total ADD and started thinking about the Red Devil Squid. You basically NEED to wear armor around them otherwise you're toast. There are only a few people crazy enough to dive with them because they kill people.

Stingrays are gentle creatures, but are still wild animals. The name of the film he was doing was "The Sea's Deadliest Creatures" or something like that, and I would think that they would probally be planning on getting the barb out to show on camera, so I probally would have been more careful, but that's just me. The world will never be the same without the Croc Hunter.

________

Buy volcano vaporizer

Touche. I was getting confuzzled. For some reason while I was typing I got total ADD and started thinking about the Red Devil Squid. You basically NEED to wear armor around them otherwise you're toast. There are only a few people crazy enough to dive with them because they kill people.

Aw, dude! I saw the show about 'em on Discovery. Jeez, I wouldn't be caught dead near 'em!!!!!!!

It is something of an Aussie mark of respect that within an hour of his death there were jokes circulating:

(NOTE: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE OFFENDED BY AUSSIE SELF DEPRECIATING HUMOR, READ NO FURTHER)

There is a product recall being issued on Steve Irwin brand sunscreen. Apparently it doesn't keep out the harmful rays!

Steve Irwin's family has declined the offer of a State Funeral, however they have booked Sting to play at the wake!

Sorry if these offend. Personally I think he was fantastic and his attitude and enthusiasm will be sorely missed.