Note to New Members ×

Mt Bacehlor season pass price - holy geez!

Mike T

Chad...I have a friend that lives/owns in Bozeman. He's getting the dual pass this year...if you have any interest I could put you in touch with him.

DSub, That would be cool. Carver or skiier? Either would be cool. We only know about 20 people, that run the mountain, here so always nice to add a few more people to meet on the slopes for some runs. I know 3 people that run alpine boards here. Not very many people hardbooting. But there are quite a few softbooters that could care less about the terrain park and focus on carving and speed, so they are fun to run with, too. My bomber email is activated if you (or your friend) want to shoot me mail. Thanks.

As for the $1300 all-mountain pass, I hope to have enough days on the mountain to make it well worth it. Enough so that I don't bat an eye about purchasing another next year.

Real estate mkt seems to have cooled down a little up there - My father in law lives (lived) there - put his house on the market about 3 months ago and moved to Arizona. He's only received 2 (very low) bids for the house - I'm secretly hoping it doesn't sell until the spring so I will have an excuse to go back :eplus2:

Real estate mkt seems to have cooled down a little up there - My father in law lives (lived) there - put his house on the market about 3 months ago and moved to Arizona. He's only received 2 (very low) bids for the house - I'm secretly hoping it doesn't sell until the spring so I will have an excuse to go back :eplus2:

situations like that are unfortunate for some, but I feel absolutely NO sympathy for the sharks that wanted to turn $200k profit on houses, or the ones that bought multiple on interest only/bubble, etc. I cant help but feel scorn for them and am truly glad to see them hurt by all this.

people like Mike who bought to LIVE THERE...I hope it works out well for them!

situations like that are unfortunate for some, but I feel absolutely NO sympathy for the sharks that wanted to turn $200k profit on houses, or the ones that bought multiple on interest only/bubble, etc. I cant help but feel scorn for them and am truly glad to see them hurt by all this.

people like Mike who bought to LIVE THERE...I hope it works out well for them!

D-Sub, my point is that you *can* make "low" offers on housing here and if the seller is motivated they'll take something a lot closer to your offer than their asking price. Then again your choices will be quite limited because a lot of people who put their homes on the market are either investors or live-in homewoners who are not that motivated to sell. When I say the market is "dead" here I mean exactly what Tex is saying - property is simply not moving. People are still asking a lot but they are not getting it.

Bend is a 4-season resort town without the big corporate destination resorts... something that a lot of people find quite attractive either to live in or to own vacation property... while I do expect a pullback in prices I don't expect it to, say, pull back to prices from 2004.

As for myself, I plan on staying here for a while. I bought "what I could afford very comfortably" rather than "what I could afford" so even if prices tumble I'll be OK and riding as many days a season as I can :biggthump

Bend is a 4-season resort town without the big corporate destination resorts... something that a lot of people find quite attractive either to live in or to own vacation property... while I do expect a pullback in prices I don't expect it to, say, pull back to prices from 2004.

That's why my father-in-law moved there when he retired a few years ago - he lived in Denver before and said Bend reminded him of Denver 40 years ago.

They were in a great house in a great neighborhood (Eagle Crest? about halfway to Redmond - nice Senior community with a good golf course)...but a bunch of their friends from Denver retired and moved to Arizona...so now they're down there

Seems like every time I fly back from the Bay Area to Bend (all too frequent w/ my job) I wind up sitting next to someone who owns a house in Eagle Crest. I on the other hand chose to live as close to Mt Bachelor as I could. Prices are somewhat inflated in my neighborhood, now that its complete, with respect to most of Bend, because it is so close to the mountain / golf / nature. Several of the houses in my neighborhood are rented as vacation homes... fortunately, mostly to families.

On a very positive note: It was 31 degrees @ my house when I took the dog for his walk at 7am. Woooohoooooooooooo!!!!! 54 degrees when I returned an hour later though :(

wow. already?

hell, I could handle 54. Its 93 here today. blech.

any precip on the hills?

I don't think so - it was sunny and dry. It's going to be 90 in town / 70 inthe hills this weekend... yuck. I've had enough of summer already - I want to ride.

OK guys, let's stop this ridiculous complaining. sorry, but I just don't think you know how good you have it. i'm not trying to start anything, but if riding was that much of a financial burden, you wouldnt' do it (assuming you're financially responsible).

1. Mike T, according to your profile, you own :

9 boards, including 3 Coilers 4 Doneks. and 4 pairs of TDs. yet you are complaining about an $829 pass. Something is wrong with that picture. It's like a guy with a lot of nice cars complaining about gas. You say if Bach has a "sort of decent" season you'll ride 50 - 75 times. 829 / 50 = $16.58. seems to me like a REAL good deal, especially if you consider what you're getting. from mt. bacehlor pages "150-200 inches base; Average Annual Snowfall 370 inches " anything above 30 inch base here is considered decent.

1. We have 600-1000 foot mountains, 3-4 month seasons, local resorts average 50 inches of snow /year and there's generally 1 very warm week which melts a lot of snow. we frequently ride in chop and icy conditions. You have massive mountains, great conditions, tons of space, and tons of snow. some of the best in the country (or the world). The 1000 foot mountain charges:

$49 for a 4 hour weekend pass. great deal huh?

Did i mention the closest mtn. to me is 600 feet and 90 min. The best carving mountain is Phil's, it's 120 miles from me, I drive it most weekend. the drive sux, but i do it b/c i love it. I ride locally ~ 12 / times a year, maybe a few more, maybe a few less. All that driving and gas for 12 days of bliss, but i'm not complaining. probably about 1/3 of the season i gotta use a rock board.

2. No one ever said being a comitted snowboarder is cheap. Snowboarding is not running or blacktop basketball. There are high initial entry fees and regular maintence fees. we all knew what we were getting into

I never said it would be a financial burden by any means. Just sticker shock from seeing prices go up 19% unexpectedly. On something that was already priced high relative to the local competition (Mt Hood resorts - $400 for either Mt Hood Meadows or Timberline + SkiBowl).

Anyways I'm over it, and will most certainly buy passes for the whole family the first day of my next credit card billing cycle.

OK guys, let's stop this ridiculous complaining. sorry, but I just don't think you know how good you have it. i'm not trying to start anything, but if riding was that much of a financial burden, you wouldnt' do it (assuming you're financially responsible).

1. Mike T, according to your profile, you own :

9 boards, including 3 Coilers 4 Doneks. and 4 pairs of TDs. yet you are complaining about an $829 pass. Something is wrong with that picture. It's like a guy with a lot of nice cars complaining about gas. You say if Bach has a "sort of decent" season you'll ride 50 - 75 times. 829 / 50 = $16.58. seems to me like a REAL good deal, especially if you consider what you're getting. from mt. bacehlor pages "150-200 inches base; Average Annual Snowfall 370 inches " anything above 30 inch base here is considered decent.

1. We have 600-1000 foot mountains, 3-4 month seasons, local resorts average 50 inches of snow /year and there's generally 1 very warm week which melts a lot of snow. we frequently ride in chop and icy conditions. You have massive mountains, great conditions, tons of space, and tons of snow. some of the best in the country (or the world). The 1000 foot mountain charges:

$49 for a 4 hour weekend pass. great deal huh?

Did i mention the closest mtn. to me is 600 feet and 90 min. The best carving mountain is Phil's, it's 120 miles from me, I drive it most weekend. the drive sux, but i do it b/c i love it. I ride locally ~ 12 / times a year, maybe a few more, maybe a few less. All that driving and gas for 12 days of bliss, but i'm not complaining. probably about 1/3 of the season i gotta use a rock board.

2. No one ever said being a comitted snowboarder is cheap. Snowboarding is not running or blacktop basketball. There are high initial entry fees and regular maintence fees. we all knew what we were getting into

:lol: :lol: :lol: hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

dsub,

I metioned the details of our local riding to drive home a point that the original complaints weren't made with a lot of perspective IMO. of course you, being the very educated person you must be, immediately recognized this and were able to offer a very insightful reply of "Move."

i have no reason to move now. i'm too busy being the "shark" you hate b/c you can't turn 200K on local properties. rage on, dude!

:1luvu:

It has been below freezing in the AM twice now here. Yesterday yes august thirty first, It did in fact snow here in kalispell, MT I have a picture of the cup and a half left over an hour later:eplus2: It did snow like crazy for about 20 minutes though. Very Cool. the high peaks have snow still today. It is supposed to be over ninety this weekend though so it won't last.

Barry my man The flathead valley is where it is at. Even for a whiner like you:biggthump Real estate has been over 25% the last three years running with no sign of letting up any time soon. At this rate we will be the next vail in ten years. Big mountain is 15 minutes up the road and big sky is only a couple hrs if you miss the driving. We have 10 or fifteen golf courses all but one very reasonably priced. The snobs all play eagle bend in Bigfork but the municipal course in Kalispell is a very challenging championship course. the area is a lot like bend without the big city influence and chaos. At least for now. 'who knows in ten years I may have to move.

the omniscient Dsub is merely noticing that you exist be grateful and relax this is a nice family website:lol:

no it's a recurring thing Dr. D. he likes to jab jab jab. my post required thought and even visitng bach's website. it's rational and poses good questions. yet all d sub can say is "move." that's such a weak response. i wasn't eve the original poster / complainer. how about instead of throwing a jab try to write a thoughtful response, perhaps see something from another perspective.

heard montana is beatiful, but DC area is #1 in the country for IT jobs, i'm staying put + family. re:golf, i am clueless re: golf, ask me in 20 years when i'm 50. i do live near Great Falls, though. Great Falls, VA.

dsub,

I metioned the details of our local riding to drive home a point that the original complaints weren't made with a lot of perspective IMO. of course you, being the very educated person you must be, immediately recognized this and were able to offer a very insightful reply of "Move."

i have no reason to move now. i'm too busy being the "shark" you hate b/c you can't turn 200K on local properties. rage on, dude!

:1luvu:

I thought Barry's comments were well thought out and Mike's reply was also good, but then came D-Sub back into it :flamethro

I made over $200K on my first house purchase, so I'll side with Barry :lurk:

hahahhahahhahahhahahahhahha :eplus2::eplus2::boxing_sm:smashfrea:AR15firin

Well, I -have- lived in DC as a h.s. kid and college student. It sucks when it comes to skiable area. However, thanks to the exposure I had -AT- DC, I started snowboarding, at Wisp, Maryland as well as Snowshoe, WVA. So, even tho I have moved to west ages ago, I must say I am grateful to have -some- learning experience on icy terrain, and it paid off when the conditions turns to ice out here in west (which is quite rare). My favorite drop off area on Metro is Dunn Lorings and Alexandria.