Note to New Members ×

UPZ Boots?

povel

Awhile back I inquired about hard boots for riders with large feet. I wear US 15 shoes and 32.0 for a ski boot. I was given the information for UPS Boots which then became UPZ Boots. At the time I was a lowly student, and couldn't afford them, but now I'm ready to get real and finally buy a pair. Unfortunately I can't seem to access the website and my emails to Dan Yoja ( the U.S. and Canada distributor back then) keep bouncing back. Does anyone know the deal on this? Has the website changed? If they are no longer around, can someone suggest other boots I can look for? I think I can squeeze into a MP 31 and maybe even a 30 if I try really hard. Thanks for any help.

have a look at the Head Stratos Pro. Far more solid than the UPZ

What do you mean for "more solid"? The upz (black ones) are (to my feeling) solid, stiff, fully adjustable (spring for frontside and backside turns, canting, walk position, etc...), 5 buckles and a little bit higher on the shin (that's very helpful).

Furthermore, the head seems to be the old Blax boots that I have full of water at the end of the day due to the shape of the shell (while carving low they "captured" the snow).

I'm finding the Upz really great...

Just my opinion.

I think D-Sub was referring to the detachable toe piece problem.
Is it a problem? I was thinking it was a feature...

I have the ski-toe and the ski-heel that allows me to use the same boots to ski...

Any news about crash of the detachable pieces?

:-O

As far as I know, such Upz boots are used for races...

:-)

Guest kennyusmc

Full of water ? That is amazing to me... unless you have your pants and inner gaiter higher than your boot / liner cuff ...How do you wear your pants?<!-- / message -->

Full of water ? That is amazing to me... unless you have your pants and inner gaiter higher than your boot / liner cuff ...How do you wear your pants?<!-- / message -->

When I bend my legs, the pants get a little bit higher (just a little bit) and the point in which I had the snow coming inside the boots was a little bit above the two buckles (not the ones on the shin but the lower ones), on the side of the Blax boots. Once, I found the snow in the inside part of such shell part.

:-(

Guest kennyusmc

the problem wouldn't the the boot then, if you have your gaiter basically down by your ankle and water gets in about 5 inches higher than your ankle then I would but the blame on your pants. I have seen some people use militay/ police boot bands/ blousing bands on their gaiters for powder. Here are a few links to differnt kinds... I can't find the metal spring ones I used when I was in the Marine Corps. Also if you don't was your pants much use someTX-Direct Spray-On in a spray bottle and spray down the the gaiter and cuff portion of your pants to help replace the DWR.

http://www.chiarmy.com/IBS/SimpleCat/product/ASP/hierarchy/020B/product-id/672279.html

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=18597

It is my observation that the Virus UPZ boots rock. from his description, im guessing Richard has the virus boots.

i have also noticed that any other UPZ boot is regarded as "cheap" and "flimsy".

the virus boots arent much different than the other UPZ boots. UPS...maybe. the change was only one year to the next.

Ive heard plenty of stories about UPZ boot problems, but none about Head Stratos Pro problems

yeah, theyre the same mold as the BLAX I think...but never heard any complaints except the cuff is a bit short

It is my observation that the Virus UPZ boots rock. from his description, im guessing Richard has the virus boots.

i have also noticed that any other UPZ boot is regarded as "cheap" and "flimsy".

Yes, not the "virus" branded but they are the ones you find on their site (except for the Virus sticker!).

Someone who has size 15 (mp 31.5) feet told me that the only boots that fit him are the Heads.

I wear a size 15 - UPZ for me. Fit is usually a very personal thing. I personally do not like how low the cuffs are on the head boots.

I wear a size 15 - UPZ for me. Fit is usually a very personal thing. I personally do not like how low the cuffs are on the head boots.

So it sounds like they are still making UPZ boots. Now how do I get ahold of a pair or at least find out information on sizing and pricing?

So it sounds like they are still making UPZ boots. Now how do I get ahold of a pair or at least find out information on sizing and pricing?

I think Dan might just be having some problems with his connection. Just wait a while and you should be able to get ahold of him again.

As far as shape and sizing goes, check out my post for a couple weeks back. I compared my new UPZ boots to my Raichles in regards to size and shape.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=11164

EDIT: I sent Dan an email and it hasn't bounced back.

I love my UPZ boots. Sadly I've never had the opportunity to try out Head, but they blow Raichle's out of the water. They flex perfectly for me, and the adjustable springs allow for a lot of on-mountain playing around. in regards to the toe piece issue, I've never had any problems with mine, and I kick the crap out of them.