Note to New Members ×

Hedgehog as pets?

Gleb

Ol Ronny boy is definitely " 'stashing" there....SNL gag.....

Glebby, boy...just to let you know, one of the reasons not to get a "non-standard" pet is the lack of vaccination capability....you don't know what it's susceptible to and what may be transferrable to you....in this case, parvo....

my sis had 2... they are not in my opinion great pets.

and they are NOT ODERLESS

every i read they say that as long as you clean the cage once a week and they get slightly potty trained (at first the crap everywhere while they run) the smell is not exsistent. Why do they make bad pets?

They do have vaccines for hedgehogs and there is a good chance i would get one. There is an exotic animal hospital down the street here, i think.

http://faqs.org/faqs/hedgehog-faq/part5/section-13.html

Please do not mistake vaccinations approved for dogs as appropriate vaccinations for exotics-there's no documentation of efficacy....

And Parvo B-19 is also a human pathogen, can cause a nasty aplastic anemia in the immunocompromised and a nasty febrile illness if you're not

The same question comes up with ferrets, neither is recommended as a pet by the AMA

I had one, but he lived in my backyard. He arrived every summer for about four years, and I'd feed him milk and cat food. He was actually pretty tame.

If you ever starve, apparently they are very tasty wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in an open fire.

ooo thanks skatha that makes sense. Mine will undoubtly be an indoor one. Last time i checked there were no horses, cows or chickens in boston so i think that wont be a prob.

I read they will eat pretty much anything but i'll have to limit it to a low fat, high fiber and protein diet. Easy enough. It'll eat what I eat, plus dog and cat food.

Eating the hedgehog is a good idea. I'll look into it. Probably after it matures though. In that case, i'll get it nice and fat. yum!

Ralaan, i heard that at first the crap anytime they run but eventually they begin to control that. Did your sister use a fish tank or a cage?

Gleb,

I spent close to ten years as a hobbyist with Reptiles, Amphibians, Large Birds and other Exotics.

I personally have owned African Pigmy Hedgehogs and while they are not difficult to keep I would still suggest against them. If your looking along those lines a Ferret will be much more interactive, but also more of a potential pain in the ass IMO.

PM me if you have any questions about "unusual" pets and I can offer my opinion.

~TG

isn't parvo a city in Utah? I hear they have great powder there :p

I think you're confusing parvo with Provo. It kinda sounds the same. Provo's actually my home town:biggthump ! Yeah, we get good powder here. But I still drive 45 minutes to Park City for it. Unless you want to drive 15 minutes to Robert Redforts :AR15firin "Sundance".

Like Topgun, I had an African Pigmy Hedgehog. That was about 15 years ago when they first hit the pet industry and were the rage. If you get one, you should only keep it in a cage. No mammals, of that size, should be kept in an aquarium, even with a screened top. The ammonia levels and dust from the bedding needs to vent out. Some people do mice and small mammals in aquariums, but I even question that.

As for upkeep, bedding is a constant issue. Yes it smells even with weekly changes. Twice a week (at least the area they use as a toilet) will be about the minimum. Go longer than that and it gets bad. And that was from a little guy about 7 or 8 inches long. If you are looking at something besides a pigmy version, multiply that or go with a larger cage size (my cage was about 2 feet by 3 feet).

They do get tame the more you have them out. They'll still huff and puff and roll up into a spiky ball at the slightest provocation, though, so you'll want to use leather gloves whenever handling them. I used to have mine out once a day for 30 - 60 minutes and he got quite tame. He never once peed or crapped when out of his cage. Maybe I got lucky though. He was really curious and loved to run around.

The cage cleaning got really tiresome after a while (a year maybe) so I gave him to a friends kid who brought him to school. They had a female in the classroom and were looking for a male 'friend' for her. I was happy because I got rid of the smelly cage and cleaning chores, the kid was happy to get a free hedgehog and be a hero by donating it to the class, and the hedgehog was happy because he was off to get lucky. Happy ending!

Gleb:

Forget the hedgehog, go for the Vietnamese Pot-bellied Pig. I have a friend with one and it has the run of the house. Very clean. Won't crap where it sleeps. And if you get tired of it, stick an apple in it's mouth and call it dinner.

Just trying to be helpful.

Henry

i read how bedding is sometimes a problem but there are many easy ways to maintain it, at least so ive read online. I used to have a gerbil and cleaning the cage once a week never turned into a problem. If its something that belongs to me, i tend to really care for it. Just the way i am.

as for the pot bellied pig, dunno if the land lord would go for that. Roasting a pig on a spit is awesome but takes waaay too long for how motivated i am to usualy eat. I'll considerit though

:)

Also, "ron jeremy" is looking more and more like a name for my spiny friend. Good idea.