Note to New Members ×

AF600 repair tips?

Dan

So I managed to blow out the pin in one of my AF600s that holds the cuff to the bottom of the boot.

The pin that I'm talking about sits just on the outside of the ankle bone. On the other side of the boot (inside of the ankle) is the cant adjuster. Normally the little bugger sits below a little chrome plate and it's not supposed to be user-adjustable: it just provides a pivot point so the cuff can flex.

So one day I was suiting up in the parking lot and I noticed that the little chrome plate was gone and so was the pin--there was just a gaping hole. The ski shop at Meadows gave me a t-nut and a screw, and that's an acceptable workaround, except for the fact that it keeps coming unscrewed on the hill and falling out, and I never notice when it actually happens.

So...this isn't a part that Bomber sells. Any suggestions for a more permanent workaround than "screw that falls out after a few runs?"

Thanks all for your input.

Simon, that's a gorgeous fix you did there...I'm guessing you have access to a machine shop?

I think that my short-term solution is going to involve a heavy-duty zip tie and two washers: one inside the boot and one outside. I'll check out the spare part info from Hans (thanks Hans) and try to get a replacement from Bomber or Raichle.

thank you, it's only a little job on the lathe.

srew: from a honda motorbike (to hold some plasic parts)

T-nut: it was a knurled nut, made a bit shorter and thinner

plate: alu plate and a lot of filing to get this shape (really bad idea from deeluxe)

it's also difficult to get the right length of the system. that means the screw touches the T-nut with its ligament, so you can tighten without clamp the alu plate. but you can't adjust the distance between the shell parts with the screw, you have to tune the length oft the T-nut.

somewere I have a drawing with the exact measuremts, should I post it?

Is this what you are looking for?

http://213.216.12.3/ProductDetailAction.bto?selectedNode=l2OFoM7kXsqPEBWgen8Aie-1

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Deeluxe

Linsenblechschrauben verzinkt DIN7981C

statt 0,15 €

0,12 € </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- -->

they are for mounting a step in adapter to an old boot without already installed nuts.

I never saw this ankle joint as a spare part, and even you get it, you have to rivet it, how do you do that?

they are for mounting a step in adapter to an old boot without already installed nuts.

I never saw this ankle joint as a spare part, and even you get it, you have to rivet it, you do you do that?

Simon, isn't the "Sohlenadapter SB R0742V" the Intec adaptor? I think that Leon was talking about the "Linsenblechschrauben verzinkt DIN7981C"...which doesn't seem to be linked properly because I can see the thumbnail but not a product page. The "linsen..." part does look like it might be what I'm looking for, but it's hard to tell from the thumbnail. Maybe Hans' info will help.

Simon, isn't the "Sohlenadapter SB R0742V" the Intec adaptor? I think that Leon was talking about the "Linsenblechschrauben verzinkt DIN7981C"...which doesn't seem to be linked properly because I can see the thumbnail but not a product page. The "linsen..." part does look like it might be what I'm looking for, but it's hard to tell from the thumbnail. Maybe Hans' info will help.

I don't know what they mean with "Sohlenadapter SB R0742V", but on the picture are the parts for the heellift on a F2 plate binding.

The "linsen..." are T-nuts with about 4mm long spikes, they press into the plastic and prevent the nut from turning. they are used to mount the Intec Hard Adapter on old boots, where the nuts arn't preinstalled. the diameter of this "linsen" T-nut is way to small for use on the ankle joint (hope I remember right). I have dozens of these linsen parts, can measure them and shot a picture if you want.

I don't know what they mean with "Sohlenadapter SB R0742V", but on the picture are the parts for the heellift on a F2 plate binding.

The "linsen..." are T-nuts with about 4mm long spikes, they press into the plastic and prevent the nut from turning. they are used to mount the Intec Hard Adapter on old boots, where the nuts arn't preinstalled. the diameter of this "linsen" T-nut is way to small for use on the ankle joint (hope I remember right). I have dozens of these linsen parts, can measure them and shot a picture if you want.

I stand corrected. No worries on the shots of the "linsen" T-nut--I believe you. :)

Do you think that the aluminum plate in your fix is necessary, or do you think I can just use a screw with a T-nut? That filing aluminum doesn't sound like much fun...maybe I could use a thick chunk of plastic or just cover the hole with duct tape (that's right, a proper home handyman approach to the problem :))

Dan, i had same problem :eek:

Did you loose that part which is visible, if not then you could use that instead filing new part. Just dril correct size hole to that and screw goes thru that.

This is how i'm fixing finally mine during long summer nights, now i have temporary fix which i hope is not temporary :D

I stand corrected. No worries on the shots of the "linsen" T-nut--I believe you. :)

Do you think that the aluminum plate in your fix is necessary, or do you think I can just use a screw with a T-nut? That filing aluminum doesn't sound like much fun...maybe I could use a thick chunk of plastic or just cover the hole with duct tape (that's right, a proper home handyman approach to the problem :))

no, i don't think the plate is necessary, I'm a perfectionist.

the guidance for the joint is on the shell, this ring on the bottom part of the shell (but it's small). you need to hold this two plastic parts together with the right amount of pressure, that should work too.

in my solution also the screw/plate works as guidance and still works great after dozens of riding days.