Note to New Members ×

Best of hidden gems - let's hear about them

skategoat

I thought I'd start a thread on the flip side of "worst resorts ever".

Let's hear about those lesser known, hidden gem resorts.

I'll start with:

Sir Sams Ski Resort in Haliburton, Ontario http://www.sirsams.com/

They don't even publish the vertical on their website but I would guess it's 300 feet. Don't laugh! I visited there last year and I really enjoyed it. It's family run and has a welcoming, fun atmosphere. The main run in front of the chalet is very wide, a nice pitch and a hoot to ride. You just have to ride it three or four hundred times to get your Whistler equivalent of vertical. The best part though is the chalet. It's huge and there is no fighting for a table even at peak times.

its sorta flat but has good grooming and not many people mid week

decent prices as well

Burke is small but has some of the goods that carvers want, I have had a couple great days there.

Magic mountain vt is alright too some decent terrain for a little mountain just down the road from stratton.

Here's my list of hidden gem resorts:

1. Shames mountain: Terrace BC

Stupid amounts of powder, maritime snowpack, and great backcountry. No crowds, but the telemarkers and riders up there are hardcore and FAST.

2. Schweitzer Mountain : Sandpoint ID

About an hour east of Spokane WA, and 2 hours south of Calgary AB, this hill overlooks Lake Pend Oreille, and has great boarding terrain- lots of rollers, tree runs choked with powder, great vibe and no crowds.

3. Fernie - Fernie BC

An updated version of the legendary Red Mountain in Rossland BC, Fernie has fantastic carving runs combined with great Selkirk powder. The town has experienced a boom in new hotel development, as skiers and boarders from Calgary discover this resort and others in this great corridor. Honorable mentions in this neighbourhood include:

Whitewater- Nelson BC

Panorama - Invemere BC

Red Mountain - Rossland BC

Kimberly Alpine - Kimberly BC

Kicking Horse Resort- Golden BC

4. Powder Mountain Resort - SLC Utah

The unknown little gem in SLC- no crowds, family vibe and great untracked Utah champagne powder - awesome tree and glade runs, a Swallowtail and big freeride gunner's paradise.

5. Mt Washington, Courtney BC

The unsung gem of the BC Coast range- great terrain, the deepest most consistent snowpack in the Province, and a distinct lack of Whistler attitude make this a great hill.

6. And finally my all time favorite secret fave:

Mt. Baldy - Oliver BC,

No, not the Mt. Baldy in California, this one is in the Okanogan area of BC, three hours east of Vancouver along the WA state border. This one is my fave because the powder here stays untracked for DAYS, because only the locals know about it. Steep terrain and, good lifts and trails, and more powder than you can shake your big gun at- now we're talking.

Now that I've spilled the beans, keep it on the QT, or be really cool if and when you visit my local gems. If you're dicks, I swear, I'm gonna find out....

George

Gleb:

We're not asking for your favourite fishing hole.

ya i know. I just noticed that sometimes people get pretty protective of the best hidden mountains for some reason. I never understood it.

Looks like I gotta take a trip out to BC sometime. I only heard of mt washington in BC other than whistler.

For the northeast, I'd give Cannon a try as a hidden jem. its over shadowed by Loon because Loon is the first larger mountain outside of boston. Cannon is 5 minutes down the highway and is never packed, from what I heard. Ive only been there on a weekday ($25 for students) and there were a few godly trails for carving. Awesome views too.

Kirkwood in Nor Cal. It's not as high tech as the other cali resorts and it is in the middle of nowhere. Normally it takes us 4.5 hours to get there from the coast, it took us eight and we didn't even make it because of a closed road due to avalanche control. Snow: excellent, some of the best on the west. Grooming: excellent. Terrain: some of the best in the west. Crowds: None

Royal Mountain is pretty nice. Not perfect, but i like it. Small crowds, quick lift, either short lines or no lines, and the grooming is most excellent. I dont think i remember an icy day all season, even after all that rain we had. It was the bigger places, like West Mountain that got the ice. On top of that, you wont have to ride with annoying park monkeys,

the local park monkeys almost never use the lift for two reasons:

1, theyre mostly fatasses who sit all day (and not your normal sit for ten minutes like most park monkeys kind of sit... i mean the sit so long that you can still see the imprints of their asses after the spring thaw kind of sit)

2, when they finally get around to doing a trick, they either walk back up (the "park" is about the size of an average living room) or head back to the lodge.

the catch: the runs are fairly narrow. easilly fixed with a more agressive style and a shorter board.

Gleb:

We're not asking for your favourite fishing hole.

crucible:

Never heard of Mt. Baldy but I'm in Kelowna a lot. I'll have to check it out. I'm waiting for someone to mention Apex. Fleaman?

Apex sucks,(JUst kidding) especially this year :biggthump we got totaly dumped on every week and there was hardly any groom at all. I was a good thing I got my Coiler AM to eat it all up and go home smilling. Apex is a hidden gem. No lift lines and tons of very steep narrow terrain. If you find open bowls boring, check out our stuff, It will definitely challenge you. There are only a handfull of good carving runs but the ones that are doable are a good consistent pitch and perfect snow to hold my ass from skidding. Oh yeah and we have some awesome parties at the ski patrol cabin and also at the On hill bar (gunbarrel)

As for Baldy, I hear that thursdays( closed monday to wednesday) after it snowed all week is heaven up there. I have yet to ride there but there is plans for an expansion as it has been bought by some Americans I think. Maybe next year I will have more time to check out the other areas.

My absolute favorite is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Mtn., NH (fat chance...stay away!). A close second is Jay Peak (only after a dump) and in a close third: gunstock, NH. Gunstock has great grooming (like...3 times a day in some spots), and an excellent variety of Terrain. I Just discovered Bretton Woods this year, but that really isn't a hidden Gem. Pats Peak is pretty good too, they have some really nice groomers, and some decent steeps from their 800-some-odd foot of vertical. But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Mtn is still my favorite.

________

Vaporizer affiliate program

My absolute favorite is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Mtn., NH (fat chance...stay away!). A close second is Jay Peak (only after a dump) and in a close third: gunstock, NH. Gunstock has great grooming (like...3 times a day in some spots), and an excellent variety of Terrain. I Just discovered Bretton Woods this year, but that really isn't a hidden Gem. Pats Peak is pretty good too, they have some really nice groomers, and some decent steeps from their 800-some-odd foot of vertical. But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Mtn is still my favorite.

I'm guessing that your favorite may the the one that's listed in your profile :D

Of course, your home ski area is where you feel comfortable and confident. I am telling you of 3 areas where I can relax and have fun. Your experience may vary.

Beaver Mountain The first pic is of The Ridge. I was the first one on the lift and I looked behind me and no one was on a chair. First tracks rocks on groomers or pow!

Snowbasin Start of the USASA race at Snowbasin Feb. 20th, 2006; starthouse is just to the left of the photo.

Powder Mountain

Please remain in your state/country and do not move to Utah in the next 20 years.

Mark

post-101-141842217852_thumb.jpg

post-101-141842217854_thumb.jpg

Aren't they crowded?

Week-ends and Public Holidays are really packed with people sitting on the runs having picnics and the like, but during the week I often find runs all to myself, esp. when it`s deep powder days.

It`s all realitive though.....I mean, I`ve never been on the snow anywhere else:o