Note to New Members ×

what's your weight and what's your coiler sidewall weight number?

west carven

I have a some coiler build sheets and there are 20 variables that Bruce has listed along with side notes and special notes all over the sheet. I wouldn't even attempt to second guess what their importance is. As to whether a particular board will suit your needs weight range is just the starting point send Bruce an email with the sidewall code. If he isn't too busy golfing or tuning up the Corvette he will unravell the code for you. Why not just give him your specs. and have him construct the perfect board for you. In the core thickness alone there are 20 different measurements. Short of riding the board you want to buy, buying a board based on weight alone could leave you with less than an ideal ride. As an example my all glass PR186 has a rider weight of #175 with a stiffness of 6.25, BX 180 weight similar has stiffnes 6.9, the newest board is an 012 AM 173 with a stiffness of 7.2 extended 4X4 inserts and UPM inserts probably contribute to stiffnes since more glass is under the core along the edges where the inserts are.The sidewall code gives the construction, length and stiffness not weight. New boards with assym core add a whole new twist . Call Bruce !:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

All Coilers, from pre-school times, have had flex measured on the same highly accurate device and using a little known ASTM standard (Arcane Snowboard Test Methodology).

After pressing and curing (but before the topsheet is adhered), each board is placed on a pair of shelf support angles made from Triple A shelving stock. The angles are a fixed but arbitrary distance apart. A weight salvaged from some forgotten piece of health care equipment is placed on the board at board center (nobody knows what the weight of this object actually is but some say the ancient cast iron has the phrase '3 stone' cast into it). The deflection of the board in centimeters is measured using a ruler from a Crackerjack box. The deflection measurement is the stiffness number.

Bruce is shooting for a specific deflection number and he knows how to produce it by varying core thickness by 100ths of an inch. If the board deflects too little when measured (too stiff), Bruce uses his butcher's thumb technique to adjust the flex number (or sometimes he just sands the glass / carbon top plies to soften the flex until the board hits the target value). If the board over-flexes, Bruce adds more glass to the top (or just sticks the board out in the cold for an hour).

Using the gigantic database of rider specifications Bruce keeps in his master board design spreadsheet (also known as the black binder), Bruce correlates rider weight and ability with flex before building a board. If you could do this, you might be eligible for a position as an apprentice in the Coiler shop and Bruce would let you push a broom for a few months.

If I were you, I would just ride Coilers as often as possible until you find a flex number you like. Alternatively, if you are a world cup racer, you could ask Bruce to build the board extra stiff and then put it between two hotel room beds and jump up and down on it until it softens up to the point that you like.

For the record, I weigh about 185 # and I like anything from a 5.9 to a 7.0 but boards in the low 6's are best for me. Titanal boards with higher flex numbers can be very satisfactory for East Coast hard pack. However, this is far too simplistic and does not do justice to the refinement of the board-builder's finesse.

IIRC from previous discussions, you can't compare the numbers from boards of different lengths.

Not only lengths, but models... a NSR 180 with a higher number might feel softer than a Classic 180 with a lower number for example. The different models have different flex patterns.

All I know is, when I try to pick numbers, the boards don't come out as well as when Bruce picks them. These days, I pick the waist width and that's about it... and mind you, some of my favorite Coilers are test boards that came out really well :1luvu:

Certainly seems length and design dependent, but FWIW my '02 180 Racecarve is 7.2 and after 10 years is now just barely stout enough for my 215 pounds. It was built for me, and has softened at the same rate as I've become less athletic, so it has fit me nearly perfectly at all times. Probably just a little too turny by now, but for a board with 200+ days on it that's fair enough.

howdy all

what's your weight and what's your coiler sidewall weight number?

i'm trying to demystify and decode the coiler numbering system.

so if any used board comes up for sale i have a good idea if its close

to my weight range.

thanks for posting in advance,

west carven

Even I have a tough time sorting it out:freak3: Every board, especially nowadays with all the different flex patterns and core lengths has a unique flex measurement. No way I can see to unify it so I just measure each models length and use my data base to adjust to the riders weight through testing experience. If there is a board for sale, best to email me and hope I still have the data sheet of that actual board for correct use range

BV

• Like 1

These days, I pick the waist width and that's about it... and mind you, some of my favorite Coilers are test boards that came out really well :1luvu:

That mini-monster 182 that we have (which I think we got from you?) is phenomenal. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Originally, it was a test board for SES. Now it's our "couch" board. :1luvu: