Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2018/19

bobble

56 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Try looking at that single elimination run as a winner-take-all ,wild card chance to beat the guy who already beat you in the first two runs

Ok. If the athlete can overcome the other racer along with any deficit from a slower course over that (22 seconds?), then I 
suppose the one run elimination would likely have the same outcome as a combined time of two runs Red/Blue.

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

and if you don't place in the top 16 in your 1st run, you're done, one run, go home.

Been there... My family flew to watch me race for the first (and only) time, and I DQ-ed on the first run.

12 hours ago, Scuff said:

Event was well run, the start spacing was efficient, good set, the snow conditions did hold up well through the temps, and it was great fun seeing so many carver's in one place. Totally agree!!!

See you all on the slopes.

9 hours ago, Scuff said:

Ok. If the athlete can overcome the other racer along with any deficit from a slower course over that (22 seconds?), then I 
suppose the one run elimination would likely have the same outcome as a combined time of two runs Red/Blue.

I didn't say that, even though results after elimination finals are, more often than not, almost identical to the standings after qualifiers. To use a baseball metaphor, I was likening the single elimination to having the chance to take a wild swing at a bad pitch for the slim chance that you may hit a home run when you're behind in the bottom of the 9th with 2 strikes...or you could just stay on the bench. Who wouldn't gladly take that swing. Nothing to lose ....btw, there were a few blue course wins on Sunday. Sometimes the sure thing isn't.

I was trying to get a certain racer (you know who) to step back and see the big picture because he was getting himself and others so worked up over this one detail. 

Been there... My family flew to watch me race for the first (and only) time, and I DQ-ed on the first run.

I didn't know that. Congratulations on getting to race in a world cup...and my condolences for experiencing the harsh realities. I'm sure it's a good memory now. I always thought you were one of the smoothest carvers I've seen in a race course. Always enjoyed watching your runs. Where did you race?

See you all on the slopes.

While I don't follow baseball, that analogy to a different sport actually makes good sense. 
Thanks BWDave  🙂

Gosh - Re-reading my posts, realized that this format does not properly convey mood. Sorry if it sounded sour - not my intent. 
It was a good event. Hope it continues to grow.  I'm done talking about racing.

1 hour ago, Scott.Creer said:

Given the weather outlook anyone planning on the xmas eve tradition?

ScottDotCreer I have family in town and some emergency home repairs to complete (and..and..and..)  
but may take my kid to Buck a few times over break.  Feel free too give me a call if you are head over my way.

30 minutes ago, Scuff said:

ScottDotCreer I have family in town and some emergency home repairs to complete (and..and..and..)  
but may take my kid to Buck a few times over break.  Feel free too give me a call if you are head over my way.

And you feel free to give me a call if you need a hand with those repairs, or if you need some tools.

12/22/18

flat light. temp around 28F. slight haze.

there were race practices on every run except teacher's pet.

the moguls were difficult to see from the chair unless you turned around and faced downhill. they appear to be wider. only saw 3 people riding through them.

i tried riding crossroads but the snow was fast and at my weight it was difficult to hold edge (titinal != vibranium). tried rail yard but quickly got bored. i was about to go back to crossroads but saw ski teams standing on a new snow ramp. so i left.

If I Were King

spoke to one of the regulars. he rides park. he saw me at the bottom of teacher's and talked for long time. we were commiserating about the snow conditions and lack of visibility. he said all of the boxes had ice... the groomers are lazy and won't get close enough to the boxes. fell down one too many times on the ice.

he had *many* complaints about the big jumps. the ones on red tail don't work (at least for him). when you come down the bottom jump you immediately have to brake in order to get back on the rope tow. so the landing is crap. he would prefer nothing on red tail and put jumps back onto the rail yard.

he said he was interested in owning buck. he's got the financial means (lives on Crystal). he talked to a broker to find out the owners asking price. has not heard back.

he told me his first order of business would be to sue Neveplast, followed by putting jumps back onto terrain park, and then to fix the bathrooms.

1 hour ago, bobble said:

and then to fix the bathrooms.

At Buck skiing with my kid today and had to get from top of railyard to bathroom. The lower level door (has often been open) but was locked today.. 😞

All the doors along the windowed South Wall were locked. Going up stairs to then go down stairs with a little one is not ideal.

12/23/18

trent was at buck with his daughter for ski race.

received the following text, "this place looks like shit!"

caught up with trent. he's still planning on coming out Christmas Eve.

snow on crossroads was cut up like corn. warners was decent. olympic should be okay. the meadows run is decent for mellow carving.

bring your slalom board or you will be disappointed.

If you are unintentionally planning to carve into the mogul field, there is a 15-20 minute wait from the Buck Hill Ski Patrol. Please plan ahead!

a girl who was warming up for the race accidentally went into the moguls. trent saw it from the chair. i only saw here laying on the snow with several skiers standing by. took a couple trips on the chair before the ski patrol moved her off the run. there was blood on the snow. later saw her in the chalet... she had the worst road rash i've ever seen on a face. very painful to see. the left side of her face was swollen with these large skin abrasions. looked like someone finger painted her face with Ragu. she was still bleeding even after couple hours. trent said several people were taking photos of her face so it might show up somewhere on instagram, FB, or twitter.

41 minutes ago, Scott.Creer said:

Fun Times today! Michelle and I both had a great time! Thanks for sharing your hill with us.

No thanks to this guy.

image.thumb.png.ec29ee98b053101e2267fa9e4aef0830.png

OMFG LOL!!!!

"YOU DO THAT AGAIN AND I'M GOING RIGHT THROUGH YOU!"

scott always knows the right thing to say. 👍

Remember kids, Mr. Green is mean.

seriously, I always ride uphill from him. the guy rides straight down the fall line. god help you if you're downhill from him. he might've buzzed me once.

last year i had a weird experience with him in the lift line. it was crowded. we were about to load onto the same chair. he pushed forward first. i pushed forward a second later. when he saw me standing next to him so he pushed backwards on his poles all the way back before the chair swung around. apparently he doesn't like me.

@bigwavedave guess what? scott met your friend today.

39 minutes ago, bobble said:

OMFG LOL!!!!

scott always knows the right thing to say. 👍

Remember kids, Mr. Green is mean.

seriously, I always ride uphill from him. the guy rides straight down the fall line. god help you if you're downhill from him. he might've buzzed me once.

last year i had a weird experience with him in the lift line. it was crowded. we were about to load onto the same chair. he pushed forward first. i pushed forward a second later. when he saw me standing next to him so he pushed backwards on his poles all the way back before the chair swung around. apparently he doesn't like me.

@bigwavedave guess what? scott met your friend today.

Yeah, I had the same lift line experience, except he didn't have time to back out, so he just tried to push me aside. Real sour dude, sucks all the good vibes out of the air around him! On the ride up I was actually strategizing my move if he tried to push me off. Does he just hate carvers, or everyone?

Reminded me of this...

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/skier-reportedly-pushes-snowboarder-off-aspen-highlands-chairlift/

12/26/18

after welch, I swung by buck. the parking lot was almost full. took two trips around the lot to find a parking space where my car could fit. 

snow was great! big difference between welch and buck. unfortunately race camps are happening. I did a couple on Milkrun and then Warners. 

only rode for an hour and went home.

what time is it? it's always 3:29 at buck.

Edited by bobble

1/1/19

first tracks of the season. the lifty let me on the chair early.

cold temps... buck was blowing snow on all runs. the jump on milkrun looks ginormous. glad to see moguls gone.

crossroads had couple rollers of new snow. riding over them was slow but felt like powder. only rode twice. tried milkrun once but wasn't worth it.

warners and olympic had the most consistent snow. rode olympic most of the day. took a couple breaks. had a lot of snow in my front boot.

• Like 1

1/3/19

went riding at lunch exclusively on Olympic. snow was good. warm temps but snow was grippy.

tried going in the evening and all the runs were blumpy. I left about half hour.

the big jump looks obscene and they're still not done with it.

1/4/19

warm temps. i was sweating.

buck put the moguls back onto crossroads. they almost go to the bottom since no one can cross onto milkrun to get back to the chalet. the run is really narrow.

they also put rollers on skiers left of meadows (aka railyard). used to be on the right side. so if you're not into rollers, you're forced on to the flattest part of the run. the bad part is that it extends almost to the bottom. the terrain park and the rollers funnels you down the hill.

olympic was a bit of a challenge. irregular.

warners was okay.

debating welch for tomorrow.

maybe wash my car.

not sure.

1/5/19

got to buck around 1:30-ish. ski team practicing on Olympic.

crossroads was rough. it was soft but really bumpy. difficult to maintain an edge.

didn't bother with milkrun. looked like there was a race.

warners had training.

tried meadows.  I almost went over a roller when I wasn't paying attention.

not as crowded as welch. i think there were more people at the tubing run. the regulars (like myself) are tired of the bullshit going on with changing buck into SSX tricky social media park. they can't aim the webcams right.

the big jump on milkrun is STILL not ready. just thinking about all the people who went there because "today is the day to send it". LMAO!!!

left at 2pm.

1/9/19

cold temps. in the teens.

milkrun had a course.

crossroads was completely rutted up at noon. there must've been a morning ski practice. looked like two courses had been set up.

olympic was hard snow. very fast. i was taking up the width of the run. getting past the ski ramp was made difficult by ice and a large dip right where the that dangling cord hangs.

rode warners. even that was a bit too fast.

big jump is still closed.