Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2018/19

bobble

11/10/18

buck opened today at noon. line to get lift tickets was past the ski rental doors.

chairlift for teachers pet was running.

the little jibber park was open.

bunny hill open. 

milkrun and crossroads were not open. very disappointing.  rumour is the main chair will be open tomorrow. not sure what the base is but seemed like they had enough snow to open all runs.

snow guns were blasting. my lower lip is numb from getting sprayed in the face.

it was slow on teachers pet. the ski teams were practicing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11/11/18

buck opened at 10am. i noticed the board had serious gouges/curls along the edges from previous day.

the maintenance crew were up on top of the towers of the main chair knocking snow and ice off the pullies with hammers.

teachers pet lift was going but it got crowded. three times i went midway down and walked up red tail up to the top. geezus im out of shape.

milkrun was icy cord at the top. couldn't set an edge. midway down it was softer but not groomed out well. hard to see rolls. some grass poking through

crossroads was icy on skiers right. again, not well groomed. it had divots in a lot of places. midway there was soft snow on top of cord near the tower.

main chair finally opened at 11:45 AM. i only took three runs and left because church was out and now now everyone was on milkrun and crossroads.

Overall...
hardboots... not worth buying lift ticket
softboots... okay
skis... decent

On 11/10/2018 at 2:14 PM, bobble said:

i noticed the board had serious gouges/curls along the edges from previous day.

Saturday damaged your edges? was that your new board?

I was in Fargo this weekend, but it sounds like I didn't miss much. I got an industry pass this year and I haven't gotten it in the mail yet... 😣

2 hours ago, DonPablo said:

Saturday damaged your edges? was that your new board?

I was in Fargo this weekend, but it sounds like I didn't miss much. I got an industry pass this year and I haven't gotten it in the mail yet... 😣

no, i was out riding my coiler rock magnet.

curious does pierce sell material for base patches? i tried melting ptex on my softboot board but it came out.

2 hours ago, DonPablo said:

I can try to get you a little ptex. I'm planning to go to Buck Saturday morning, early, jumping right to the MK I think...

I have some small ptex sticks. Might be I need to clean the area better.

I was out last night on my new board. I didn't last long... 45 minutes. I wasn't planning on staying out long. I just eyeballed the bindings against another board. It felt okay when I was testing at home on carpet but when I got out onto the run, my stance was way too narrow.

The top half of Crossroads was decent for carving on a snowboard. The bottom half was like golf balls. Didn't bother with Milkrun because the snow guns were running. Redtail was good except for the terrain park kids blocking the exit.

Not going tonight.

Looks like the two days of warm weather was tough on Buck, you can see a little dirt at the bottom of the bunny hill from the "Plaza Cam". And more warm weather starting weds. I saw on their web page the ticket office is open at 9:30 Saturday, I'm planning to get there a little before that. 

11/17/18

sunny day. snow was decent. felt like mid-season already.

while trying to set up bindings i saw what might be a hairline crack in base plate. not completely sure. i grabbed another binding and removed the base plate and saw a similar line.

cool balance board but not very sturdy.

11/18/18

great day so far!

used a pocket scope with 30X magnification. it's a scratch. i'm guessing that i scratched it with hex tool when clearing snow? i almost bought a second board kit.

the regulars have seen randy carve on skis and now know he works at Pierce... suddenly he's the most interesting man in the world! #3rdWheel

On 11/18/2018 at 1:44 PM, bobble said:

the regulars have seen randy carve on skis and now know he works at Pierce... suddenly he's the most interesting man in the world! #3rdWheel

Gonna have to go back to my snowboard, where people just want to get really close to me but not talk, lol. I wonder if that old guy will recognize me if I'm on my board? I'm going to try out my new skis tonight at Buck.

11/25/18

what a crap-a-dee-doo-dah holiday weekend.

warm weather (40's). cloudy. rain. lethargic (tail end of suffering from a cold).

notable accomplishments: 

1. re-waxed two boards
  2. finished Narcos Mexico

friday... drizzle. some rain.

saturday morning i walked down to the beach and checked out buck from across the lake. fog at the top of the hill. hard pass. 

today, temps in mid 20's. sun. snow was fast. groomed crushed ice. all of the runs were open but Warners was not groomed. it was in real bad shape at the top -- exposed dirt all over.  in other words paoli peaks on a good day. 😚

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

I like that Buck is willing to refresh the slopes when needed. Wild is good at that too. Once Spirit covers a slope they never go back to refresh after a meltdown:smashfrea

they still have dirt poking through on some runs. its also early in the season. the daytime hours don't start till December.

i am wondering what their plans are for the south run... meadows? last year they did not blow snow for the jumps and they got beat up on social media.

don't cave to the chicken tendies generation.

have momma drive to hyland if so important.

11/28/18 evening

it was lightly snowing. place was not busy at all.

the runs were okay but the grooming is not so great. there are depressions at the very top of crossroads. the tops of the rollers are ice. skiers right was tracked out from ski practice.

milkrun was tracked out. there must have been ski practice on it.

last run down the  backside ... where the hell are the lights? 😡 doesn't my season pass entitle me to night skiing?

teacher's pet is a mess.