Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2018/19

bobble

12/1/18

the morning was surprisingly dead. the lot was half full.

snow was decent. almost hero. the visibility was terrible. there was wind blowing from the east that made for slow going down the run.

took couple runs down Warner and terrain park. both were decent.

21 hours ago, Scott.Creer said:

I was real happy with my Afton pass decision after I saw the insta post.

I'm hoping i'll get over it. they had the mogul field last year too but what pissed me off the most was the ski teams taking up half of the available run on crossroads. they also put jumps on milkrun too but I don't remember if they had both at the same time.

buck is really putting out a lot of features. anyone see the diving board on their instagram? blue man group, anyone?

where they get the money?

12/2/18

snowed a couple inches. the runs were on soft side but still carveable. the main problem was the wind. it was gusting from the north. the flags over on Olympic were full extended. every toe-side turn would bring me directly into the wind and I'd immediately slow down.

stayed till past noon.

@DonPablo I walked over to the teacher's pet lift. stepped into the F2 binding. started to kick to loading area.. board kept slipping away from me. rode to top. fell getting off the lift. tried riding the board. felt completely wrong. the bindings have no lift but inward canting. went back to car and got out the other board.

Oh right!

F2 bindings come pre-loaded with shims that either lift or cant. Extending the toe/heel plates all the way out will allow access to remove and replace them.

I typically take those out and ride flat front and insert shims in the rear binding to lift the heel. I think I have some more or these plastic pieces in various configurations.

12/3/18

Rode for about an hour in the evening. Snowguns were blowing on Crossroads. The run looked like crap; i.e. winrows up the hill, ice balls, acne, etc. Didn't bother. I saw 4 snowboarders on Crossroads fall on their toe-side edge going under the snowguns. I later learned why.

Everyone was on Milkrun. First couple runs were great. Hero! The G-Team showed up and set up stubbies. I tried venturing over to Warners. There were no lights on the top of the run!!! It was too dark to see if the conditions so I skidded down the first face. The rest was sort of okay but it was still not illuminated enough.

I tried the terrain park. There was race practice on that run. First time I've seen that happen. There were two snowguns on the run. I rode through them. Not-so-fun fact! Snow is sticky from the guns. Didn't fall but it was sketchy. 

I left early. Maybe there an hour.

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

But, you can 2 days for the price of one at Indianhead with your Buck Hill pass.

But ... but... but I thought that there was an alpinesnowboarder.com discount??? 😜

12/4/18 Noon

Almost all of the runs have snowguns blowing snow.

Visibility was terrible. Snow was sticking to goggles. It was way too soft to even think about carving. I left after 5 runs.

If I go out again, it won't be on a carve board.

arrived home from a lovely evening of skiing.

get a text from my brother, "how are conditions at buck?"

respond that all runs are open and snowguns are blowing a lot of snow.

he replies with a youtube link, "just bought these on indiegogo"

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/snowfeet-new-booming-winter-sport#/

A NEW BOOMING WINTER SPORT

"So they decided to develop the ultimate snowskates and make snowskating an Olympic sport one day."

...an Olympic Sport one day

...one day

ONE DAY

!!! ONE DAY ONLY !!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DonPablo said:

According to Wikipedia, snowskates have existed since the 1930s... You use to be able to rent those at Powder Ridge back when I was in high school. I think a lot of people got hurt using them, so you can't rent them anymore.

Edit: wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowskates

Saw a guy probably 2-3 years ago on Crossroads with a pair of sled dogs. I also remember seeing them at the ski swap many years ago.

Amazes me sled dogs is still in business. Those boots are not cheap.

Be right back... going to glue some metal edges to my crocs.

1 hour ago, bobble said:

Be right back... going to glue some metal edges to my crocs.

Ha ha!

You can do a lot of things on hardpack, well-groomed, ideal snow conditions, that you can't do the rest of the year.

I can just imagine landing a jump, sinking in the snow, and face-planting. 

12/5/18 noon

grooming was a disappointment. sun was partly out.

from the webcam, milkrun looked like it had fissures in the area around where the jump would be. when I got out there the run was really messy. when I left the clouds rolled in and you couldn't see them.could it be that the flat light has been masking serious issues with groomers?

took one run on Crossroads. its all iced over cord on skier's right. I nearly fell down when the nose slipped. skidded most of the way.

took a run on Warners. a little better only a few swaths where the groomed. they're really being stingy.

the new chair lift... saw a skier get caught by the chair trying to disembark. he was on the right-hand side and took out the other guy riding with him. when I got up there there was no ramp. the snow is so high its level. on top of that, its not even groomed.

Olympic was perfect. I wish I couldn't stayed all day on that run.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:22 PM, DonPablo said:

gonna have fun watching this one play out 🍿

uh oh.jpg

What's the story with this photo? I don't see these jumps on the webcam. Is this what they're planning do with all the snow they're blowing over there?

Checked the webcam last night and saw some nice tracks down the double fall line slant on lower Milk. I'm hoping Buck has better snow than Spirit (death cookie)Mt. I'm thinking of coming out tomorrow for the early bird (10-2). 

I'll also be there as gate judge for the NorAm races this Fri-Sat-Sun.

12/9/18

crossroads and olympic had windrows.  challenging to hold edge. another subpar day.

"We got big windrows, small windrows, little itty bitty windrows, inverted windrows, windrows on the left, windrows on the right, windrows on top of windrows, i can't believe its not butter windrows, robot-unicorn-attack windrows, ribbed for pleasure windrows...

... and much much much more."

@bigwavedave buck is planning on putting up those two jumps and the mogul field sometime end of december or early january. the image is heavily photoshopped. there is not enough room to create a jump that wide as depicted in the photo. the run is not a single pitch! plus, they forgot to put in the scary orange ribbon to prevent crossing runs.

they've been blowing a lot of snow as of late that they forgot how to groom the snow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

never enough to satisfy.

Agreed!

Snow was not so bad today but I will agree that grooming has a lot to be desired. If I had more time, I would totally Photoshop the photoshopped photo. }8^)

I fell heel-side on crossroads and hit my left hip hard - and that quickly turned into my last run. Iced for an hour and still hurtz.  These middle-ages are kinda rough.

11 hours ago, Scuff said:

I fell heel-side on crossroads and hit my left hip hard - and that quickly turned into my last run. Iced for an hour and still hurtz.  These middle-ages are kinda rough.

I saw you from the other chair when you fell.  I was talking to bob and saw you coming down. Big cloud of snow. You were close to the fence line. You got up and patted your hip a couple times to see if it was still there? Hope its not a hematoma.

re: my instagram post... buck liked it!!! guess I wasn't clear on sarcastic intent.