Note to New Members ×

Lutsen

BobD

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Indianhead (bigsnow) getting some too. $15 lift tickets M-W if ordered online. Definitely open. I was there yesterday and planning tomorrow with rwmarron. More snow forecast for Wed, then Thurs/Fri, so might be pretty good by this weekend. Rumor that Al might have a posse of out-of-town carvers visiting this weekend.

Keep your mittens on, stay outside and don't touch your face.

Sorry, don't know what Lutsen's like lately. I suspect they had the same rain and melting last week. Looks open on the webcam today.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Friday

Maybe 6-7" of wet snow at Lutsen from the storm. Icy groom on Eagle Mt, but much better on Moose Mt. We got sun rather than the forecast clouds. It warmed up to 45° for surfy slush slarving and deep trenches with no ice base!

1071425995_IMG_7643(1).jpg.26c63225fc6cd4c65982f8a97afe5f9c.jpg

Gusty 35kt winds kept the gondola down and later shut down 2 more chairs. 

I need to remind myself to go straight over to Moose in the future, even if I have to use that 2 mi cat track access trail when the gondola is down. The snow softens earlier in the sun there and the runs are nice and wide. Without the gondola, everyone had to use the Moose return cat track that has some uphill sections you have to walk up. Then, with the Bridge chair shut down, we had to ride back to the main lodge in a sleigh towed by a cat.

It was a fun day. Lottsa snow on the hill still. Not crowded either.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fri

Drove up this morning with very little traffic. There was already a sizable line for the gondola when I got to the hill ½hr before opening.  Remember next time that lots of condo dwellers come up Thurs nights for their (once a year) long-weekend ski vacation.:smashfrea

There was 4-5" of dry fluffy snow overnight. Unfortunately, Lutsen is apparently stricken with the same groom-resistant snow as other hills in MN. Over on Moose, underneath that nice soft fluffy snow was frozen, crusty snow, both groomed and ungroomed. It was kinda rough for carving. :freak3:

Rode the gondo back over to Uller (the baby hill) which had a nice soft groom under the new snow. :1luvu: Rode the 202cm TankerSpanker making big turns through windblown snow. :biggthump

IMG_8645.jpg.b80d5879e692de6d960199d0b270a6d9.jpg

They are still blowing snow on Moose. This new snow should groom out nice. Might come back on Monday when there are fewer people. Though I might head over to Jackson creek (formerly known as Indianhead). Al says conditions have been good and grooming is better than ever!

• 1 month later...

Monday  

Riding the big board down Caribou, Moose Mt. with bright sun and blue sky next to the big blue lake.

VID_20180108_050135_00_003_2023-03-13_16-29-35_screenshot.jpg.9a442ad2525d032fb01c670598bd468f.jpg

A lot of people said yesterday was the best powder day in years here (really? 9"?). Today was mostly firm groom with some soft areas and ungroomed. Not too busy, but more people than a typical weekday. Virtually no lift line and lots of room to carve, mostly.  A couple of Spirit Mt patrollers spotted me and said hey.

It's a long cat walk or gondo ride to get over to Moose (where the best carving is) which is a drag if you want to swap boards.

Planning on Jackson Creek tomorrow. My favorite carving hill. :1luvu:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

2023-24

Mild and sunny with temps in the low 30's.

First time up here this season. They got about 15" from the storm, but it rained Mon night and then more snow. The cord was typical Minnesota firm, but with "grooming features" and seams that kept bouncing me off my edge. A little frustrating. It got busy after an hour and I often felt the need to pull aside to let people pass.

Good carving was sporadic. I am beat after 5 consecutive, 4-5 hr days of riding. I got spoiled by the near perfect carving conditions at GR all week. Soft snow is so much easier on the body!

Rode the SuperConductor. Mark did a grind & buff on the base and tuned the edge bevels when I visited Schweitzer last week. I can really feel the difference. Thanks Mark!!!

With this new snow, spring conditions should be pretty good as temps start climbing into the 40's next week. Last day April 7th.

• Like 1

P.S. Rode the new 6pac high speed Raptor Express which parallels the old 2 person fixed grip Bridge Chair (which is still in place).

One hour in, it was busy enough that the lift lines necessitated single rider strategy, nosing into any empty space. When full, these large capacity express chairs deposit way too many people at the top creating a traffic jam to navigate to find space to clip in and launch. Then wait for an opening and when you start out, a wave of people take off. Kind of like penguins jumping off an iceberg, first one or two go then a whole bunch. Then the problem is, some go fast, others go slow and some stop and go. This was more of a problem at the top of Moose.

It is very frustrating for a spoiled old carver used to easily carving out his own space on the hill. 😭

I fear that this scenario will play out at JCS (aka Indianhead) on a busy day now that they have the new high capacity express chair. 

• Like 2