Note to New Members ×

Binding Release

Just posted this in another section, but thought it might be useful here.  I've been using this system for the past 10+ years. No more bending down to release bindings at lift and am able to release anywhere on the hill, even in very awkward positions.  First decided this was a good idea when I had to try and release at a cliff face with very poor positioning. Hope this helps.

This is my quick release system for intecs. Derlin quick release buckles that will fit into Intec handles, 8' of 5/8" webbing (REI), and a Nylon Double Biner. Threaded through my pants, up through jacket sleeve and and into mittens. Long enough webbing to reach approximately the bottom of the palm of my hand when my arm is not fully extended, but short enough to activate Intec release when holding the Biner and fully extending my arm. 

Yes it is more difficult to release when the binding is loaded upwards, but pulling and doing a little hop should release it when hanging upside down.

12.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have the same set up but I only bring it to my hip.  I put an old intec handle on the upper end. I let the end hang out of my pants. I find the fastex buckle breaks after a while so I just choke the strap around the intec cable just under the handle

Hey Bumpy   Thanks for posting.       Man!  That's a long reach! .....and makes my shoulder hurt just looking at your photos!!   I'm sure you have it down to an art weaving your ripcord  through your pants and upper layers but seems like a lot of trouble.....but glad it works for you. 

Be careful,  repetitions of that movement  can add unnecessary wear and tear to that shoulder joint and over develop that side of your body.

My solution was to have the local gear tech cut holes in my pants legs and stitch reinforcement so my Fintec handle pops out through my pants.....never had any  problem with it releasing unintentionally...even EC'ing   Easy to grab even with gloves on.

I tried the hip release, but every time I rocketed into the lift line I couldn't find the strap.  I never have to look for it, because it's always in my hand under my mitts.  This has worked out perfectly for me.  Now I'm  always waiting for my skiing buds to get their poles on and I can peddle off the lift lines ahead of them.  Powder pig.

Hey what size clips do you use for this? 1"? I've wanted to do this for awhile but never got around to it. I mostly want to do it because reaching down causes me to lift my heel somewhat (locking the pins in place and stressing the intec cables) and it seems like it would be cool to be able to reach into my pocket without bending over while pressuring my heel. 

I used to get the clips from REI, but they changed brands.  The jaws of the clips measure 15/16".  The 1" clips from REI are too big.   It takes a 5/8" webbing that I do get from REI.  For a tall guy 6'6" of webbing would be more than enough if you wanted to run through your pants and jacket.  It's easy, 2nd nature at this time.  It take about 5 minutes to adjust for the proper height.

1.jpg

18 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

I could've used something like that in AZ, back in '87...Dang tree wells..

That was one of the main reasons I went to the straps.  The other reason was when I got caught on a cliff band and had to try and release without bending over which would have thrown my center of balance over the point of no return.  And now I'm just a lazy, proud monkey seeing all the other snowboarders stare as I step into the intecs.

• Like 1