Note to New Members ×

NZ based BOLers

SunSurfer

There are a few of us I know, but we don't all know of each other. Now that we have a ride board let's make use of it!

So if you are currently living in NZ and hanging out for this coming winter, post here so we can get to know you.

I've started threads for the larger fields that will have groomed slopes. If where you're going to ride isn't listed start a thread for there. I am pleasantly surprised at how often I meet other carvers.

If you're an Aussie reading this, you could start your own thread.

Mase, Dan, get your side started!

Edited by SunSurfer

Hi Alan,

Do you ever get to ride at treble cone? If any one is reading this that has not heard of TC check out the trail maps.

its a great ski area with one of the gnarliest access roads that gets your adrenaline going before you even get your boots on!

if you think TC's access road is frightening, Ohau's access road when I last went had my adrenal glands exhausted!
I've ridden TC, and like to hang out in the Summit Saddle Basin when I go. The front face the last few years has been short of snow when I've been there in August, and the afternoon sun tends to make it slushy. The Basin is colder and generally not as crowded. In the past I've not enjoyed it as much as Cardrona, but that is more a measure of my lack of skill and ability to take full advantage of its slopes. Not been there for a couple of years, as I missed the whole 2013 season with a ruptured Achilles' tendon, and didn't ride there in the short trip I had to Central Otago in the winter of 2014.
Cardrona is my current favourite field in Central, and I'll happily ride the Remarkables as well.
Coronet Peak has been a serious disappointment the last three times I've been there. Crowded, warm, and slushy lumpy snow from top to bottom. The last time I went it was like riding on glue. With a freshly waxed board I was struggling to get any glide at all, the board was almost stuck to the snow!
Overall the NZ season seems to be getting shorter and shorter. I now figure on decent snow being reliably around in Central Otago for perhaps the last week of July, all of August, and maybe the first week of September. For work reasons I have to plan snow trips months in advance.

Edited by SunSurfer

Everything ok down there Alan ? Noticed your multiple posts and first thought was redrun   redrun   "The Shining". Things winding down in Ontario and dismal in the west. East coast and Quebec still looking like winter so hopes are  for a few days somewhere else after local bump closes. Good luck with your coming season and I hope your area is able to bust the curse going on in North America.

Yep Ohau's road is pretty full on as well. And the Remarkables road is just as scary.

Treble cones saddle basin has insane terrain, I was lucky enough to be on the old double chair in 97 when that years world extreme champ was coming down every time I was going up. What I saw that sunny spring day changed me forever and opened my eyes up to what seemed impossible was totally do-able (In the right conditions) and the guy was using K2 clickers!

http://www.treblecone.com/mountain-info/about-treble-cone/trail-maps/

Edited by Mase

Everything ok down there Alan ? Noticed your multiple posts and first thought was redrun   redrun   "The Shining". ...

Just getting things organised so if I'm riding somewhere I know where to look to find if I'll have a riding buddy.

Had a few things to deal with since coming back from SES that deserved priority.

• 1 year later...

Hey team,

Keen to know if there are any north islanders with excess kit they would consider moving. I'm looking to return to carving having gone all mountain. Keen to see what's available locally before importing. Hints, suggestions and the like welcome. I had some gear in storage whilst overseas .. some was damaged/lost am checking how much I can throw together.

Cheers,

Alan 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 9:31 AM, Alan Mc said:

Hey team,

Keen to know if there are any north islanders with excess kit they would consider moving. I'm looking to return to carving having gone all mountain. Keen to see what's available locally before importing. Hints, suggestions and the like welcome. I had some gear in storage whilst overseas .. some was damaged/lost am checking how much I can throw together.

Cheers,

Alan 

Alan Mc,

Send me a personal message via my profile here on the Bomber site.

I'm Wellington area and have a range of gear that may be of interest to you. I am away in Wanaka between 13 & 28 Aug, then at Ruapehu between 3rd & 18 Sept.