Note to New Members ×

kathy brower

My plans have changed and I cannot make a Thursday pilgimage to Jay. Plan to try to get to Okemo maybe for a couple hours Thurs or Friday and maybe one day on Weekend. Sorry Kathy, maybe when the lake warms up we can have a water ski party on Little Lake Sunapee.

EZE

maybe when the lake warms up we can have a water ski party on Little Lake Sunapee.

EZE

Well I look forward to hearing you guys gloat over weekend water skiing parties to get me back for all my weekday riding gloating - I am working every weekend this summer so will have to stick to weekday skiing - hopefully we will get our boat in the water for a bit before we sell our house - if any of you guys are free weekdays we are always looking for a third wakeboarder or skier willing to get up early when the water is Glasssss

I am Jonesing already for the snowboarding and I haven't even stopped yet - that might be the problem with going so many days - I am going to have to go through withdrawal - hope I don't lose control during first non riding days and do something crazy like go out and buy another 250 Ninja - do you guys allow girlies in your riding club??

I had a 250 Ninja for a couple of years - it was my sole form of transportation from March to Nov one year when I was living in NYC so I put alot of miles on it. I loved that bike. It was stolen off the street in Manhattan one night (I usually paid a fortune to garage it and only left it out once!)

Then when I went to get another bike I also thought maybe I should get a bigger one - I thought an FZR would be cool but could barely touch my toes to the ground - so I got a Ninja 500 and it was still too big for me. I really liked the 250 better - Unless you guys know of any other small bikes to consider that is probably what I would get.

We have a friend that reconditions and sells used bikes so I could probably get a cheaper used one that was reliable too - although I do like NEW gear...

(sounds like I am getting more tempted by the minute???? :eplus2: )

I always wanted a BMW! Cool looking bike - but I looked up the specs -> seat height and weight and it is bigger & taller than the Ninja 500 and alot bigger than the 250 (1.5 inches taller, 115 lbs heavier). Although I rode the 500 a fair amount I was never as comfortable on it - the light size of the 250 is also good for me - (I could even push it up a hill and pop it when it wouldn't start - something I could not do with the 500)

Sooo - I am really leaning towards getting another 250 - despite small size and low price it is (or at least was) an extrememly peppy and fun bike -

Sad thing is I likely won't get to ride much with you guys as I imagine most of your trips are on the w/e?

Who makes the sv650?

Kathy

Who makes the sv650?

Suzuki.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2005/2005-suz-sv650-b-3.jpg

Also comes in crotch-rockety flavor:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2005/2005-suz-sv650s-b-3.jpg

Or if that's too exciting, check out the Suzuki GS500, the alternative to the Ninja 500...

http://www.ridertraining.biz/GS500.04.jpg

newer vintage comes in sporty dress:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2005/2005-suz-gs500-a-3.jpg

Or if you need REALLY low seat hight, Buell Blast

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2005/2005-buell-blast-3.jpg

w/e = weekend - the time when you play and I work (I really do have a job...) - ie the 22nd and 23rd are w/e days.

Well I've got alot to think about. -

I have to be careful or you'll make it more complicated than carving and my simple brain will explode - all this info about torque, ergo's, after market links, stock adjustments..... :freak3:

I'll figure out in the next couple of weeks what I'm gonna do and how much I want to spend etc. - We may sell our lake house which would free up alot of cash and make me more inclined to get a more expensive bike.

Kathy

Kathy I know how you feel looking for a bike. I can touch with the toes of one foot on mine if I sit centered on the seat. After 36 years of riding and racing it dosn't bother me but it sure looks silly when I am moving it around to park it. My wife is your height or shorter and she is on a Honda Shadow 600 ( a cruiser) She loves it. She had the RF 600 ( Suzuki) and we had the seat re padded and dropped the front fork down in the trippletree a half inch, ( per the sugestion of the guys at JMD computrack... before I get a lecture on factory geometry from the mechanical eng guys, it started with 6 deg pos rake and the change made it handle better.) The Duc 600 Monster has a low seat and I think they made a 400 for a while. If looking used Honda made the CB1 which was a 400cc 4 cyl that screamed. The Buell is a good sugestion, the BMW (unless it changed since 2000, I had the road version of the 650, has a high seat)good luck in your search and hope to see you on 2 wheels this summer.

Paul

dropped the front fork down in the trippletree a half inch, ( per the sugestion of the guys at JMD computrack... before I get a lecture on factory geometry from the mechanical eng guys, it started with 6 deg pos rake and the change made it handle better.)

I think you mean 26 degrees of rake. No bike has 6. Also you probably <i>raised</i> the forks in the triple clamps, thereby lowering the front end. I've done this with my bike, just 10mm, and it totally transforms the bike. Best mod for the money I've ever done! (free)

Nice Hawk Jack I love those! I did mean 26. TT I don't think lowering the back does much for the handling, most Triumphs use an eccentric to adjust the chain and it lowers the bike by quite a bit when it is worn and I don't notice any change in handling when the back goes down. I lowered the front, yes by moving the fork tubes up in the tree or the tree down the tubes and noticed quite a difference.

Paul

jack, you do anything to the rear?

It so happens, I raised the rear with a longer shock (first a modded cbr900rr unit, then a Fox). The bike rides nothing like stock now, which is good.

i thought you were supposed to make those changes together?

Nah.

Agreed on the SSSA, durace!

I'm gonna start looking at bikes this week - I think I'll start with a smaller bike and day trips for now and see how it goes - I can always upgrade and maybe you guys can all tell me what adjustments are appropriate if and when I get something bigger

Overnight trips do sound fun though -

last time I went on an overnight on my bike (the 250) I lived in NYC and met some pals in upstate NY to go camping - the thing I remember best -since I was riding at night to meet them - was having to stop multiple times to clean the dead bugs off of my face shield so I could see - ick

We'll be happy to go shopping with you. Any chance to look at new bikes... :biggthump

Thanks for the offer - But I think I'll get a bike up here cause I'll want to use that shop for maintance etc. I got my last bike in Hooksett and they seemed to be pretty good

I have a question for all though -

Should I get an extended two year warranty? I usually say "NO" to extended warranty's - the 250 comes with a one year warranty - and two more years is $280 - it is transferable and covers everything except tuneups, oil change and normal wear and tear. I never had anything to warranty on my two previous bikes.........

Bob, Have fun on your ride in VT this weekend

I gotta' go with Bob on this one. I went with the extra 4 years on my Tiger I haven't used it but you never know. Mine came with road side pick up and I had an issue in the first year that the gas tank vent didn't vent and they would have come from North Hampton to where I worked in Nashua to get the bike if I wanted them to. Has Anyone heard from EZE? I'll be heading up to our camp tomorow and going by his house... should I stop and see that he hasn't move to the Southern Hemisphere to catch winter again? Sounds like a good ride Bob, all but the rain... I haven't melted yet either though so any ride is better than none. I had yard work to do... wish I was getting wet on my bike. Kathy if you're set on a Kaw check out John's Cycle Barn in Wilton NH, He is a great guy and will do you right. It's tuff to find a dealer that is honest and John is the guy.

Paul