Note to New Members ×

WOW Spring Freeriding

Bobby Buggs

Since I converted to alpine about 5 years ago I have been missing out on one of best parts of the sport of snowboarding.

I was at Mt Snow yesterday with the CarveFather and Rob Case and guess what? we didnt carve a Single turn :eek:

It was Freeride in the spring bumps or Cream of Wheat(CoW) as I call it. I had a BLAST, it was like the old days. Used my Coiler AM, found the center and kept the nose light, did alot of back foot turns and had a Huge Smile. Rode 4 hours straight without a rest in the sun. Man am I tired but what a great feeling, just like the old days when I didnt even know how to carve a turn. :nono:

I was concerned that the coiler at 19 cm and 173 might be a bit of a chore in the bumps and CoW but that board shined Again. I wish there was a better base to prolong the CoW but its looking kinda bleak for even this coming weekend as I had to jump a few brown/rock spots and rain is here already.

Well if you have good base and spring conditions where you are, Get the hell out there ride that CoW and Forget about carving for a day :biggthump

I hear ya. I hit Okemo this week - 58 deg, not a cloud in the sky. Tshirt and fat slush turns. The bump runs were fuuuuuuun!

There's something about spring riding for me - it's just seems more laid back and fun. I feel like a giggly kid. That's not to say the rest of the season isn't fun, it just feels different.

I've always been all about "riding the conditions of the day". Whether that be groomed, powder, spring snow, you name it. For slush, CoW, velvet, corn, and other types of spring snow, I break out the Axxess/AM/4x4 type board and let 'er rip.

Couldn't agree more! I had my Prior Khyber at Killington last weekend...it was a full on slushfest with the whole mountain bumped up. I had a ball! I should add that I also bought a soft boot setup for the board but after riding it a couple of times the boots and bindings are collecting dust....just didn't feel right. I mounted my plates and loosened my hardboots a bit and have been tearing it up. The only real advantage I see with the softboots is when I'm walking to and from my car. Of course I'm no park monkey and never will. I'm hoping to get in at least one more weekend before it's all said and done.

Miguel