Note to New Members ×

Looking for board recommendation

zoltan

I like to purchase my equipment for the next season during the summer; that said, I'd like to buy a new snowboard for next season. Ideally I'd like to get a skinny waisted race board, but unfortunately I live in Maryland on the East Coast, so the hills tend to be short and crowded, and the snow tends to be hard and choppy, so I'm not sure I'd get too much use out of a board like that.

Right now I'm riding an Incline 160, and I'd definitely like something with more edge on it, I'm also thinking possibly less taper? I'm currently running about angles around 40-45 degrees front and back, and I'd definitely like something with higher angles that will have me facing more forward. I don't think angles around 45 are good for how I tend to bend.

Finally, I'm 6' and weigh 150 pounds dry, and about 160-165 with gear.

Guest claudio
Donek Freecarve or Axxess

Prior 4WD

Can't go wrong with any of those. Order now and you'll have in plenty of time for the fall. Or fly out to California and ride every day for the next two months no problem.

Also check out Prior ATV - just like the 4WD, but 2cm wider - if you want a bit more float. I ride one with softboots at 45/42 angles. Edge hold is great.

If you're serious, go after a Madd 170.

You can still crank it around on a small mountain and because of its softer flex you can skid it if you need to. It possesses all the attributes you were looking for:

-skinny board for high angles

-more edge

-Choose either the 1 or 2 flex option because of your weight. 1 if you're still learning to carve and 2 if you can lay it over aggressively.

Serious, you and I have some fairly identical "traits". I'm 6', 150, and Snowshoe is my home mountain. With that said, I bought a Donek Freecarve 171 last year. It has been somewhat of a challenge learning to ride it in the Mid Atlantic, what with the crowds we're used to.

The board runs great in our "typical" snow, and slices through crud and ice. It took a little getting used to slaloming through the crowds. There is NO taper on the board, just a big old edge that grips into anything. In hindsight, I would have gone with a bit of a smaller board than a 171, because if I let it run on the edge (huge sidecut radius), I end up going off these skinny Mid Atlantic trails.

• 3 weeks later...