Note to New Members ×

how fast are you carving?

Guest needanswer

Guest needanswer

just wondering if anybody know how fast they're carving (not going straight down a run).

I think it's pretty hard to judge one's own speed especially during carving. it's much easier going straight down where you can do a distace/time calculation.

Also, does the centrifugal(sp?) force make you feel faster or slower?

you can defintly try a gps and have it in your pocket. Make sure you get one that can take in readings every tenth of a second, i think. Or it maybe every half second. Also, i think you carve at the same speed as if you are going forward. For the most part. thats my two cents. Now i'm broke :(

Guest needanswer

going straight down , I'm maxed out by gravity vs base material & wax.

however, carving, I'm on the edge and it feels like different kind of fast :smashfrea

just wondering if any body did the gps thing or got pointers to comparisons?

also, I'm I right to say that most people on their alpine is faster than their the avg softie rider?

You mean while carving? Yes, the stiffer, longer alpine boards are going to let your go faster while still carving... kind of reason people ride "longboards", no?

From what Ive been told, the longboards wont make you go faster, you'll just be more stable carving because you have a bigger effective edge.

i agree with kleb. i'm not even 100% convinced alpine boards are faster than good FR boards. local softie rider here regularly goes 45+, maxed at 54mph, has big cojones and just bombs runs. those speeds may not be overly fast out west, but considering how small the local mtns. are and the amount of people usually on them, it's enough to find trouble here if you're not riding aware of your surroundings. riding on edge, to me, at least feels much faster, maybe it's b/c of our body positioning, steeper angles, etc (or eve than lots of alpiners are higher on edge) i don't know. interesting topic though.

You can equally fast on both set ups, you have more control an alpine. As long as the bases are the same material and waxed the same, they are going to straightline the same speed. Only thing ive noticed when i ride with FR is that on turns they lose speeds because they can't transfer enough power from their feet to their edge because it gets lost in the boots and bindings.

Ive recently tried a soft set up and i hated how sloppy it felt. Carving for life!

From what Ive been told, the longboards wont make you go faster, you'll just be more stable carving because you have a bigger effective edge.

For me, the advantage to boards in the 180+ range is that they make the same carve feeling last longer because of more speed and a bigger turn radius.

They are also more stable, for me that equates to less attention required (easier to use a video camera or cell phone while riding).

I've been radar-ed at 51 but that was just bombing to see what kinda numbers we could get out of the gun. Most days I ride half that speed or less, except maybe short sprints approaching to some of the bigger jumps in the park (that stuff probably tops out around 40 at most).

Given a rider's sidecut and turing style, I suspect that you could get pretty good estimates using the math in Jack's carving article, at least for those moments.

I can't set my GPS faster than one trackpoint per second, unfortunately. Erwin

GPS won't work very well for measuring your speed while carving, for a couple reasons.

1. GPS's accuracy for a given location is +/-30 meters. That's because of a bunch of error sources in the GSP Satellites and the transmitted data. Now if you do multiple measurements in a row (say over a minute or two) Some of those error sources will get temporarily small, making GPS a bit more accurate, but that 33 mph or what ever your measuring probably has a few MPH of error

2. GPS's data rate is 50 Bps, but the messages (which contain the data) are only transmitted once a second, and that's what GPS uses to calculate position (from which it derrives velocity). That's why you can't set the unit to calculate data faster than that.

3. Since the calculations are based on 1 per second locations, it will calculate the speed of the GPS unit, where ever it is over the several seconds it takes to make a speed calculation. Which means that if you carve at a frequency of 10 cycles per minute (a cycle is a left and a right turn), or 1 cycle per 6 seconds, your GPS unit will measure your speed at 6 points in your cycle of left adn right turns. So draw a sine wave and pick 6 evenly spaced points and connect the dots and you'll see what GPS is trying to use to calculate your speed.

4. What #3 actually means is: the slower you go and the smaller the turn (closer to the fall line), the more accurate the speed measurement. Which means go really slow and GPS will be accurate or go in a straight line (which defeats the desired "carving" measurement).

5. What you really want to measure is the speed of the board in the middle of the carve, because your hands and your head are going faster and slower at various times in the carve. So holding a GPS in your hand and trying to measure your speed is going to screw things up a bit.

6. A radar gun would work much better, giving an instantaneous value.

Or a simple time-distance calculation (have someone time you while you do 5 nearly the same Left/Right turn sets, then measure the total lenght of your carve (not the straight line distance) and divided to get MPH or KPH.

Guest needanswer

6. A radar gun would work much better, giving an instantaneous value.

Or a simple time-distance calculation (have someone time you while you do 5 nearly the same Left/Right turn sets, then measure the total lenght of your carve (not the straight line distance) and divided to get MPH or KPH.

I thought a radar gun has to be stationary and the target has to be going pretty straight toward or away (not across) from the gun to get an accurate speed accessment.

if this is true, it will be difficult to measure the speed of the carve which by definition is never straight / changes direction continuously.

Gleb,

What is the secret mountain with Radar?

Bricky

its sunday river in maine but its uncomfirmed. My friend said he saw it there a little while ago so i have no clue if its still up. If it is, i'll be there half the day trying to beat my speeds. After all, thats why I went alpine, to see how fast i can go. :eplus2: