Note to New Members ×

Aerial spins on a carving setup?

quest4powder

Step #1 - Learn how to spin 360 or more.

Step #2 - Put on your hardboot setup. (If you are already on hardboot setup, go back to Step #1).

I'm a bit awkward spinning my alpine board. Mostly because find the boots a little stiff (since then I've switched from Suzukas to Lemans and install the BTS, but haven't tried anything more than a 180 recently) and heavy (my Lemans are heavier than my softboots and bindings combined) and I tend to hook it into a carve when I land... NateW is probably a better person to ask...

Wait second... didn't you ask this question already... yes, you did two years ago (well similar).

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=2602

I remember a thread where Bordy said he threw a 10 one time - sweeeeet! I am comfy up to 5's with lots of variations, but I was already comfy doing them on soft long before I ever took up alpine. I would suggest learning to spin during your regular riding. Throw spins all over the place. Of course, start with 180's. When landing switch, remember to look back the way you came for your landing for a split second before you turn your head to look where you are going. Once you are comfy throwing 180's and then half cabs on groomers, you should be able to try them off of jumps. With enough practice, you may be comfy moving on to 3's.

One of the biggest differences throwing spins on hard gear is that you don't have as much ability to scissor your legs to complete a spin. For that reason, you must get the spin around and land cleanly. The rule of thumb on softies is that if you can bring your body around for a 1, then you can take the board to a 3, body to 3, board to 5, body to 5, board to 7, and so on. That is not necessarily the case on hardboots. Try to make your body spin with the board and land with the board. You have very little room for error.

:lol: @ Lonerider. (edit)

Ive never done it, never seen it. Lots of people say they can. I say bring on the photos or videos (but then again, who wants to pause for that crap)

OF COURSE its doable. 10 though? come on bordy...lets see some images!

I remember a thread where Bordy said he threw a 10 one time - sweeeeet! I am comfy up to 5's with lots of variations, but I was already comfy doing them on soft long before I ever took up alpine. I would suggest learning to spin during your regular riding. Throw spins all over the place. Of course, start with 180's. When landing switch, remember to look back the way you came for your landing for a split second before you turn your head to look where you are going. Once you are comfy throwing 180's and then half cabs on groomers, you should be able to try them off of jumps. With enough practice, you may be comfy moving on to 3's.

One of the biggest differences throwing spins on hard gear is that you don't have as much ability to scissor your legs to complete a spin. For that reason, you must get the spin around and land cleanly. The rule of thumb on softies is that if you can bring your body around for a 1, then you can take the board to a 3, body to 3, board to 5, body to 5, board to 7, and so on. That is not necessarily the case on hardboots. Try to make your body spin with the board and land with the board. You have very little room for error.

A lot of good stuff here... one thing that I've picked up is the "setup carve" where you go on edge before you spin. On backside 360s, I do a heelside carve right before the ramp and then roll back to flat, but now with my upper body slightly corked, I uncork my upper body as I go up the ramp (keeping my lower body straight), but just as I hit the lip of the ramp, I transfer the rotation in my upper body to my lower body and the board. Does that make sense?

Todd Richard's Trick Tips Vol.2 DVD has a good walkthoough on spinning 360s.

That's interesting. I would definitely recommend the Todd Richards vid. He says the same thing only reinforces more of an "S" carve where you would go from the heelside to a light toeside to spin the backside. That is my general approach as well.

My problem with 360s has always been over-rotation, probably because I learned them off of smaller jumps where I had to spin hard to make it around. This year I finally got that under control and have been landing them consistently off mid-sized park jumps.

I am regular-footed, and I approach the jump a bit to the right of the straight line that everyone else takes, carve on my heels to the left, and leave the lip of the jump in a slight toeside carve. The spin comes from my shoulders, pushing off against my toes. I'm trying to minimize the carving now... I start frontside 180s off my toes as well, but with quite a bit less edge use on the approach.

I've been psyching myself up to try a 540 all season, so far I've only tried it once though and it went poorly. Nerves. :)

Pic is a corkscrew 360 from back in 89-90 on an Asym M6 with variplates and MGX boots...I found similar problems with spinning in hardboots as it takes a lot more twisting of the upperbody to rotate completly through the spin (not even close to the way I do it in softies).

post-420-141842216561_thumb.jpg

Pic is a corkscrew 360 from back in 89-90 on an Asym M6 with variplates and MGX boots...I found similar problems with spinning in hardboots as it takes a lot more twisting of the upperbody to rotate completly through the spin (not even close to the way I do it in softies).

mad steeze

What's the differences, in initialial spin movment, and in the rotation in the air, between a straight 360 and a corked 360? I've had some advice to grab my rear toes with my front hand, and stuff like that, but I can't quite picture how it all adds up, and leaves me up right on my board at the end of the spin.

I need an engineer's perspective on this. I mean, If I can't analyse it to death, how am I ever going to learn it. :)

if you are good on softies i'd recommend starting on those just to get comfortable spinning in the air. if not, here's a progression that could be helpful

start out doing 180's, no prewind witht he upperbody, prewind causes seperation of upper and lower body, and while this works on softies, as mention above on hardboots you dont really have the ability to scissor, so focus on the 180 with exact alignment and doing the whole rotation with your body and board aligned.

then for the 360, first try doing the first 180 on snow and the second 180 in the air, to get used to doing the full 360 roatation being aligned but there's less injury risk since you're only in the air for 180 and by this point you should be comfortable doing 180's. then move to 90 on snow and 270 in the air, then finally the full 360 in the air.

i've taught several people with this progression on both hard and soft setups. the alternative is how i learned about 10 yrs ago by hucking and hoping i landed(this is not recommended unless you like breaking things)