Note to New Members ×

burton race plates

ajcannon

I've never ridden anything but Burton Race Plates. I have one set that has machined aluminum toe and heel blocks, and another set with die-cast toe and heel blocks. Both seem to work fine, but then again I haven't tried anything else. What do you all think of Burton plates? Are they outdated technology? Are they a good value, despite being somewhat dated? Are they used by any of the "expert" riders out there? -Adam

Guest team_absolut

How lucky are all those world cup racers who use them and swear by them!

But I guess those folks must all be very light people or just not 'aggressive' riders (whatever that means!).

It seems lots of racers use Burton bindings. can anyone say how often they change the bails? I weight 235 lbs and had a pair, I have never broken them but after hearing all the breakages, I bought Snowpros, broke them then got Cateks. Is Bail replacement necessary every week or monthly?

You are becoming the official "Seach Nazi" :p

seach nazi, eh? spelling nazi, too.

it just doesnt make much sense to me to start yet another topic about something thats been covered many, many times.

this is actually common forum etiquette, not just me making stuff up

BUT, at the same time, searching might reveal more info than gets posted.

Fleaman, what part of the snow pros broke? I just got a new pair with a PureCarve Maverick 175...."race" ones with a much bigger bail than Burtons... for now I'm leaving my cateks on my race board....

( I'm around your weight )

Burton race vs bombers/cateks??? Totally different animal. The burton's are fine but feel jokishly loose after you acclaimate to a much more rigid bomber/catek. Personally, I like the burtons for powder/rock boards

Best bet with the burtons is just sell them on ebay ( people pay stupid money for them... ) and put the money towards some new bomber/cateks.

Or if your lucky, used ones for the same price.

Fleaman, what part of the snow pros broke? I just got a new pair with a PureCarve Maverick 175...."race" ones with a much bigger bail than Burtons... for now I'm leaving my cateks on my race board....

I had the snowpro stepins. I wore the boot heels out in 10 days of riding. I did get a new pair from Dan Yoja but I lost confidence in them and gave them to a lighter friend.

The binding as a whole were pretty beefy, I really liked the look of them and I think the bail closure type would be very good bindings but I am a step in man now.

Guest jschal01

Perhaps we could have an "Urban Myth" forum as a separate place to discuss ideas such as "Burton raceplates are beginner's bindings" and other stuff with no basis in fact that people love to not only believe but discuss every week or two?

D-Sub, how dare you suggest that people use the search function before posting? Clutter is where it's at, man, where've you been?

Substantively, I find it truly amazing that people can be all over getting the latest titanal board construction because that's what racers are using, and then consistently basically suggest those same racers are lacking in manhood, or womanhood, because most of them are using more-flexible bindings. Imagine how racers'll be able to ride when they can finally "step up" to a Catek? When they also finally realize that more-advanced riders should have steeper stance angles, then they'll really rock.

There are perfectly valid reasons not to copy everything a racer does, of course. Bomber and Catek are great bindings (one racer did pretty well with these...). Burtons are also: great bindings. Please do try the search function, it can even be: liberating.

Do you guys who race with burton raceplates also use them on your freeride boards? it would be interesting to know...

oh, yeah, and Absolut: Way to make an entrance, talking smack on your 3rd post! Why don't you ask Jack about asyms and D-Sub about tweaker board theives...that'll be fun too. :smashfrea

Hey Adam... If you do decide to sell your Race plates please call me first. I would like them. You ride like such a girly-girl that I know the bindings haven't been stressed at all. :eek: (by the way, my Suunto says I got 20K of vert when you, Patti and I were at Sundown this weekend)

In all honesty... if it works for you that is all that matters, not what popular trends dictate. Quite a few riders do really like certain variants of the burton plates. Other variants should never have been made (IMO). From what I can tell, Adam's plates are the most rugged of the group.

Adam and I have the misfortune of being somewhat isolated from other carvers and so we don't have the luxury of trying a lot of different gear on a regular basis. Speaking for myself only... when I DO finally get to ANY mountain all I want to do is ride, not spend huge amounts of time swapping bindings, adjusting angles, getting in and out of boots, yada,yada,yada.

Seriously Adam... if you are considering selling your Burton plates let me know, I regret getting rid of the set I had.

Guest jschal01
[snip]...

oh, yeah, and Absolut: Way to make an entrance, talking smack on your 3rd post! Why don't you ask Jack about asyms and D-Sub about tweaker board theives...that'll be fun too. :smashfrea

Umm, Absolut was only responding to what I would consider talking smack, "Burton are fine for a light weight person or a beginner but not for an aggressive rider." Is there a required number of posts before you can respond to questionable assertions of fact on here?

It may be surprising, but there are many excellent, knowledgeable riders who either won't post here, or who do so very seldom and so have a low post count, because in general the forum has NOTHING to offer them. I would encourage them to post, not tell them they need to just be part of the chorus for perhaps 100 posts before saying anything original.

ok maybe that was over the top... but we've had a succession of people pop in here assuming they knew everything about everything, not checking to see if the topic had been covered 100 times before, and just spouting BS without ever having made a positive contribution to the board. His comment sounded smartass to me and I responded. No, there isn't a minimum postcount to make a statement, I just believe your first comments should add something constructive and helpful to the board rather than snide comments directed at legitimate questions from people who have contributed.

Besides, I have copyrighted all smartass comments. :eplus2:

Best bet with the burtons is just sell them on ebay ( people pay stupid money for them... ) and put the money towards some new bomber/cateks.

I got burton race plates, exactly like these. It doesn't look like people are paying that much for them. If these sell for a hundred, i might put do just that, put the $ towards TD2s. They seem pretty sturdy to me though, so nothing to complain about yet.

My riding hasn't reached the level where i would be breaking bails. Although i did snap off a piece of the latch on my front foot from accidently going backwards and falling. still works fine, just a pain to close.

My favorite concept for a binding is the Burton Step-In Race plate like the ones in this post:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10487

With no toe lever to stick out, it's shorter than conventional bail bindings. You can "step-in" or do a manual closure. When I had mine, the "step-in" mode worked probably 95% of the time. I've talked to people who owned these, but could never "step-in".

The reason I got rid of my Step-In Race plates is because the heel bail connection was on the flimsy side (mine broke) and spare parts are hard to get.

I replaced the Step-In race plates with TD2's. But I didn't like the floppy heel bails on the TD2 and the toe lever stuck out too much. I've read that the heel bails on Cateks are also floppy.

So now I ride F2/Proflex Freecarve bindings. I also prefer the flexier feel of the Proflex over the locked in feel of the TD2's.

If a company came out with a sturdier version the Step-In Race Plates, I would switch to those bindings.

The newer F2 bindings should be sturdier than the Burton bindings since the F2's have a thicker bail. A lot of World Cup riders go with F2 bindings.

knowledgeable riders who either won't post here, or who do so very seldom and so have a low post count, because in general the forum has NOTHING to offer them.

this certainly is the case re: the high end riders I know. too much talk, too little riding, too many self appointed experts. some of them don't even know the site (probably b/c theyr'e too busy riding!)

I though Absoluts comments took the words right out of my mouth, when I read the post before his, I almost posted the same thing. I saw more Burton bindings today at Lake Placid under guys feet than Bombers and Cateks added together. F2 bindings probably more than doubled the count of all the non f2 bindings.

I wiped out in the slush today and my front foot popped out. Nothing major because i was already sliding down when it really came loose. At least i think so. :freak3: Its wierd, it was on really snug but still popped out. No snow jammed in it so i have no clue what happend.

That run was defintly cursed because as I fell, one of my friends wipped out as well and then she fell again lower on the slope along with my other friend. Before that we didn't fall all morning.