Note to New Members ×

hard time

Guest Bear

Hey, I've been shopping for a little while now and I can't seem to find any brands. Are the ones offered on this site pretty much the brands for alpine set ups? I have become very comforetable with burton and their quality, do they still make alpine set ups?

Also when it comes to board stiffness, as of now I ride one of the stiffest freeride boards there are, would a 4WD be stiffer? would any alpine be stiffer?

I have gone through and done some reading. I have figured out how to chose some items, but now I am having trouble finding different items to choose from. What set ups are you guys using?

Heh, I think you'll find that Burton is a pretty polarizing topic here. I'll just say that they don't make alpine any more but there's plenty of used Burton alpine decks out there at decent prices.

I have a couple of alpine decks right now: a Nidecker Tornado 183, Oxygen Proton 172, a little Generics slalom board (155), and an Original Sin Sinner (167) that I use as a rock board. I learned to ride alpine on the Sinner, and at 5'11" and 155 lbs, it was a decent first board, though it took advantage of my inexperience in the first day or so.

For boots I use Raichles, and for bindings you can't go wrong with either Bombers or Cateks.

I'm pretty sure the 4WD would be stiffer than whatever freeride board you're on now, but you'll get more info if you name the model - I'm sure that someone here will have first-hand experience with it.

You'll probably get more useful feedback if you post your height and weight.

I am also 5'6" and 135 lbs.

Also when it comes to board stiffness, as of now I ride one of the stiffest freeride boards there are, would a 4WD be stiffer? would any alpine be stiffer?

You'll find that the 4wd is probably a little bit stiffer than the stiffer freeride decks out there. Alpine boards only go up in stiffness from there.

My experience when I first got into alpine was that everything was really stiff, especially for light guys like us.

I think a softer freecarve board with a wider base would be perfect both because you are just learning alpine (so will be riding slower and not pushing as hard as an expert) and because you are light. So I would be looking at the Prior 4wd like you are, a Donek Pilot or Axis, an F2 Silberpfeil, or something like that.

When you are ready for another board you might know a little better what you want in terms of stiffness, sidecut, etc..

I ride Raichle/Deeluxe (423/Lemans) and Bomber bindings. I learned on a Donek Axis. I also ride a Swoard, which would be an excellent learning board (but is expensive).

Hey, I've been shopping for a little while now and I can't seem to find any brands. Are the ones offered on this site pretty much the brands for alpine set ups? I have become very comforetable with burton and their quality, do they still make alpine set ups?

You can find the names of other brands by looking at the board gear reviews on the bomber site, and by looking at people's profiles. I don't think there's a reason to get exotic until you know exactly what you're looking for, though, in my opinion.

Some of the burton alpine boards were also supposed to be good boards for beginners and light weight people, but I won't ride another one again until they get rid of the 3-hole insert pattern.

alright, if it will helpI am 5'6" and 135 lbs

So am I (around)...I scored an Alp off of Kirk(here on bomber) and I've been told it's great for a noob like myself by several. I went ahead and got the Raichle X-bones with the 3 hole insert....

My other boards are a 03 Custom 149 and a 05 Feelgood ES....Since you and I seem to be in the same boat, I will email you some feedback on Monday...

I'm 5'7" and 132 lb. I mostly ride a Donek FCII 163 and an Oxygen Proton 164 GS.

If you can carve well on your freestyle board, then I would recommend both the Donek and the Oxygen. The Oxygen has a bigger sidecut, so it's a better board if you ride someplace that has long, wide runs. For a smaller resort, the Donek is a better choice.

If you're just learning how to carve, then I would still recommend the Donek FCII, plus the Donek Axxess 162 and Prior 4WD 164. I wouldn't recommend the Oxygen for learning how to carve.

If you plan on riding your alpine board in bumps and powder, then I would recommend the Axxess and 4WD.

If you're on a budget, then I would recommend a the Burton Coil 165, Burton Alp 162 or Burton Ultra Prime 162.

For bindings, I'd recommend F2/Proflex or Burton Race Plates. At our weight, we don't need to go to TD's or Cateks.

For boots, I'd recommend Raichle SB413's or the Deeluxe Lemans. If your feet are wide, then you might have to go with the Head Stratos Pro.

It seems like burton flooded the market with their boards before they went out of the alpine market. I see their stuff really cheap on websites all over. Everything i have is burton (boots, bindings, board, gloves) but not cuz i really care for burton, just cuz its dirt cheap comparitivly.

Bear:

All-mountain boards are like any other all-purpose product - a compromise. I've been there. I started out and I still own a Prior 4WD but it only comes out when I know there's going to be a lot of ungroomed snow. On the groom, I ride a Colier Race Carve or Volkl Renntiger. They kill it over the Prior. The narrow waist lets me transition from turn to turn a lot quicker and I get way better, more consistent edge hold through the whole turn radius.

Since you like Burton, look for a Factory Prime.

Henry

Bear:

All-mountain boards are like any other all-purpose product - a compromise. I've been there. I started out and I still own a Prior 4WD but it only comes out when I know there's going to be a lot of ungroomed snow. On the groom, I ride a Colier Race Carve or Volkl Renntiger. They kill it over the Prior. The narrow waist lets me transition from turn to turn a lot quicker and I get way better, more consistent edge hold through the whole turn radius.

Since you like Burton, look for a Factory Prime.

Henry

all mountain by definition: performs equally as poor in all conditions.

yea, but in the sierras you kinda need an all mountain board. I am located in riverside, u know if ne one is near me?

:freak3::freak3::freak3:

Gleb...you want to clarify that statement?

oh...you were just summing up what was written above

Ive ridden a donek axis, and it worked quite well.

honestly, if youre gonna get one alpine board, why not get one that is designed to handle a variety of conditions?

but, if youre looking for "cheap" it might be harder

BULLSH*T.

"Poor" is about the last word I'd use to describe my Donek Axis (now called Axxess) and Coiler AM, in many conditions. In fact, I needed to raise some cash a few years back and chose to keep my Axis 172 and sell my Donek FC 163... mostly because I liked the way the Axis carved better... More stable.

BULLSH*T.

Yeah, I agree. The Axis and the 4wd are fine carving boards, and the softer flex (still way stiffer than anything else he's ridden) especially good for a beginning hardbooter, and ever moreso for a lightweight beginning hardbooter.

Even if price was no object I would still recommend the Axis or 4WD over a "real" race board to learn on. You don't want to learn on a super stiff 14m sidecut board that you have to fully commit to at high speeds on the steeps to bend.

so what ive heard that a 4wd or axis would be a good idea to begin with because they are stiffer than what I have, but not too stiff. In heavy powder conidtions would it be a bad idea to use a more extreme board?

And yes I know I've asked this a few times, but are you sure one of these two boards will be stiffer than my t6? Also I couldnt find the measurements for the waist for the axis and the 4wd, do ya know them? Does it really matter that much? Please let me know somethings you think i might need to know before choosing bindings boots and boards. I read the welcome page that I was sent to, but I still am not so sure about alot of things.

i wasnt really serious bout my statement. :) I'm very confident they have all around boards that are perform really well. I know for a fact i will defintly get an all mountain. What is my ultra prime considered? just a general beginer board?

so what ive heard that a 4wd or axis would be a good idea to begin with because they are stiffer than what I have, but not too stiff. In heavy powder conidtions would it be a bad idea to use a more extreme board?

What do you mean by "more extreme board"?

And yes I know I've asked this a few times, but are you sure one of these two boards will be stiffer than my t6? Also I couldnt find the measurements for the waist for the axis and the 4wd, do ya know them? Does it really matter that much?

I've never compared directly, but I would guess that smallest sizes of Axis and 4WD are as stiff as the largest sizes of Burton T6. Even the stiffest Burton freeride/style boards are generally considered noodles by hardbooters.

The Axis is 21.5 cm at the waist, and the 4wd is 21.4. The mm difference between them doesn't matter... but the difference between 21.5 and your T6 is going to be huge.

At 135 pounds even the smaller Axis woin't be soft for you. If you want something to charge hard on, look at the 167. The Axis rails turns better than some pure alpine sticks I have ridden. It's a great deck.

yea, but in the sierras you kinda need an all mountain board. I am located in riverside, u know if ne one is near me?

Sorry, I don't know my mountain ranges. But if you're in Riverside, CA, I'll be riding at Bear Mtn on Sunday. If you can fit into a size 25 boot (or if you have your own), you can try out my Donek FCII 163. I'll probably be riding my Oxygen Proton (at least in the morning when conditions are good).

So if you can go to Bear Mtn, email me or post here and I'll bring my spare set of boots.

1 maybe 2 other carvers (Jim Pryor and Oldvolvosrule) will be joining me on Sunday. Oldvolvosrule rides a Prior 4WD 179. It would be stiffer than the 4WD you should get, but it will give you an idea of the flex.

dang i wish i could come but i know i am going to be busy on sunday morn...not only that but i cant really afford lift tickets. the only way i can usually go is with my dad cuz he buys me a mammoth season pass every year